Screen Protector or No Screen Protector??

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got my new iPhone 4 32gb last week and put a case on it. I was just curious what everyones thoughts were on Screen Protectors and if you use them or not. I had a Droid X prior to this phone and never used one for about 6-7 months and didn't get a single scratch on the screen. Was thinking about going without one for this phone as well..

Your thoughts and experiences???

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Rolling commando. I have a Skullcandy case for the sides and back, but the front screen is totally au naturel.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just got some screen protectors since I ordered the bumper instead of my regular hard case.

On my last iPhone 4, I did get a few minor scratchers on it, but they were barely noticeable. (I put my phone and my keys in the same pocket without realizing it sometimes...)

However, I loved the feel of the glass on my fingertips. Now that I have the screen protectors, I don't mind em. After I first put them on, the phone felt different to the touch, but after using it for a while, i don't mind it at all. (And now I'm not worried about my phone getting so scratched up!)

Now that damn bumper just needs to come in already...

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't a fan of screen protectors for the longest time. However, after investing in 4 iPhones, I decided to try them. I was very meticulous during the installation. I didn't want any bubbles, creases, dust, etc. Fortunately, I was successful. Now that my wife, son and myself are comfortable with the "feel", the screen protectors provide peace of mind. :)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I use screen protectors all the time. I used to use a matte finish but tend to find it detracts from the retina display.

Back to using a gloss one and don't care if it gets scratched after a while. Only costs about $5 professionally installed by the Asian phone shops without any bubbles :)

Shack70

Jun 12, 2011
www.theshacklocks.com
I use screen protectors because I work in an industrial environment plus I have kids. Putting a $1 screen protector on is totally worth it. Amazon sells them pretty cheap

djgmac

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a matte finish protector, but I took it off for one reason or another, I don't remember, but once I got a look at that bee-u-tee-ful screen in all its glory, I didn't put it back on. BUT I do make sure I don't put it in my pocket without first putting it in my pouch/case.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I definitely use a screen protector, and until recently I was using an anti-glare type until I saw a friends iP4 without a screen protector and realized how much the matte finish degraded the retina display... so I switched to a Power Support Crystal screen protector and it looks great and I'm still protected

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am using a screen protector that came 3 in a pack at the Verizon store for my iPhone 4. It was easy to apply and absolutely no air bubbles at all. Also, it doesn't take anything away from the retina display at all.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used the Zagg screen protectors on my previous devices and I installed the full body for my iPhone. Although this Zagg screen protector was the dry screen protector. No spray this time. Works well and I don't trust myself going commando.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was just curious what everyones thoughts were on Screen Protectors and if you use them or not. I had a Droid X prior to this phone and never used one for about 6-7 months and didn't get a single scratch on the screen. Was thinking about going without one for this phone as well..
Thoughts and experiences really don't matter. I mean, as far as thoughts are concerned, it's a personal call and you need to decide for yourself. It's a matter of personal preference. I always run with screen protection as no screen is unscratchable. Some are more scratch resistant than others but all can be scratched. Now, whether yours will or will not is an entirely separate matter.

As for experience, for any device you can find people that have run naked and never experienced scratches. You can also find people than ran naked and ended up with scratches. People posting in this thread are only going to offer anecdotal evidence which really doesn't mean much. The naked fans seem to like to cite that they take care of their devices but accidents do happen. People also seem to assume that if they don't experience a severe drop that they won't scratch their screen. That's not the case. All it takes is something made of a material harder than the screen (even just a grain of sand) to scratch the screen.

Again, your call. There's no one-size-fits-all answer despite how people on both sides of the matter will reply. Go with what works for you. Don't assume that all screen protectors are equal though. Even those that use them don't all agree on what the best screen protector is.

If you really want to rehash this discussion I suggest reading existing threads on the topic. Every smartphone discussion forum I'm on has existing threads on the pros and cons of screen protectors that you can refer to.

Currently the SGP oleophobic is my favorite. It doesn't affect screen quality at all. It isn't matte. It reduces smudges but won't totally eliminate them. Keep in mind that selecting a screen protector is a process that involves a lot of subjective preference.

Last edited:

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just recently decided to change my screen protector due to the original one having a few scratches, etc. However, after removing the original, it "looked" like the screen was clearer and more vibrant. The screen felt silky smooth, too. Now I'm debating whether to put a screen protector back on. Lol!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had a zagg on mine and my husbands since the first day. He managed to goober his all up, so I just pulled his off and redid it last weekend, hopefully he doesn't get it all jacked again. I do wish I'd have put the home button part on last time. He's sliced the hell out of it I guess with his keys.

I still have my original on mine. I will eventually peel it off and redo. I do wet apply if that matters to anyone.

I also have Speck Candyshells on each phone.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I had a matte finish protector, but I took it off for one reason or another, I don't remember, but once I got a look at that bee-u-tee-ful screen in all its glory, I didn't put it back on. BUT I do make sure I don't put it in my pocket without first putting it in my pouch/case.

Hey what kind of pouch do you use ? I havent seen many just a sena and vaja.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy