Rotating SIM cards in iPhone 7 Plus

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I've never done this before, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on it. I have a spare phone line on my account and I'm looking to use that SIM card in my phone occasionally. Being that the phone number will obviously be different, would there be any negative impact on my Apple ID and/or iMessage?

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No it won't mess your apple ID, every time I travel I change the sim card, and what I usually tell my family members/friends is to reach me (iMessage/Facetime) through my ID and not my phone number.

Yeah the number is going to change, but the ID will be the same so you'll be reachable, regardless of the number/Simcard you use.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
No it won't mess your apple ID, every time I travel I change the sim card, and what I usually tell my family members/friends is to reach me (iMessage/Facetime) through my ID and not my phone number.

Yeah the number is going to change, but the ID will be the same so you'll be reachable, regardless of the number/Simcard you use.

What about iMessage itself? Right now I still receive all my texts on wifi, even if I don't have my SIM card in my phone. I also receive all my calls and texts on my wifi iPad, without needing to have my iPhone anywhere near me (not even on the same wifi network). I wasn't sure how that would work after putting a different phone number on my phone. Will I receive all calls and messages any time someone sends a text to either phone number? Will my iPad still receive calls and texts that are made to my main number?

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That's because the number is associated with your apple ID (which ywuse in your iPad and other Apple devices). When you switch simcards, the new phone number will be associated with your ID. Usually you receive a popup messsage telling you that imessage/FT activation (with your new number) will happen (or something similar).

Although sometimes there's been some sort of error that peoples iMessage/FT gets stuck with old phone number, dven thiugh they have a new simcard with different number.

Right now my iPhone's iMessage/FT is set up with my ID and the number from this country, when I go back, and swap simcards, it will change the number and so on.

The best way for you is to try though.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
That's because the number is associated with your apple ID (which ywuse in your iPad and other Apple devices). When you switch simcards, the new phone number will be associated with your ID. Usually you receive a popup messsage telling you that imessage/FT activation (with your new number) will happen (or something similar).

Although sometimes there's been some sort of error that peoples iMessage/FT gets stuck with old phone number, dven thiugh they have a new simcard with different number.

Right now my iPhone's iMessage/FT is set up with my ID and the number from this country, when I go back, and swap simcards, it will change the number and so on.

The best way for you is to try though.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I will just give it a try and see how it goes. I'm new to Apple and I've heard horror stories about Apple ID's, iMessage, etc getting messed up so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause a headache for myself by doing it. Thanks for your help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB