Replying to texts and emails can be done via Siri and possible keyboard?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Looks like the answer is no...we have to pull our phone out to reply to text messages and emails. Again, it seems odd that we need to cuz you would think at least Siri can do so via the watch. Oh well.

You can reply to a message via the watch.
Not emails.
You should go to Apples website it's all right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Messages and email are two different things.

You can respond to a message via the Watch.

You can't respond to a email via the Watch.

According to the Apple site.
Thanks. I went to the Apple site, and have several more concerns about the Watch, other than not being able to reply email directly from it.

Battery life. It's advisable to only take quick calls, not long or normal calls, on the Watch. I guess the concern of short battery life?

The "Start on Apple Watch. Continue on iPhone." puzzles me because it is indirectly telling me to do most things on the phone, not on the watch. In other words, don't rely heavily on the the Watch. Am I interpreting that correctly? I guess the no reply on email does make sense now, but oh well...

My take away from the site is not to expect too much as it's the 1st generation, I suppose.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well as far as quick calls say you are picking someone up and just want to say I'm outside lets go something like that. For me holding my wrist up for a long call is a pain.
The watch is just a companion piece to the phone like the phone was a companion piece to the Mac.
Each device does similar tasks but some better than others.
Will battery life be better on the next watch? Probably and better on each one following.
That's tech.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Well as far as quick calls say you are picking someone up and just want to say I'm outside lets go something like that. For me holding my wrist up for a long call is a pain.
The watch is just a companion piece to the phone like the phone was a companion piece to the Mac.
Each device does similar tasks but some better than others.
Will battery life be better on the next watch? Probably and better on each one following.
That's tech.

I totally understand...I guess I was expecting more from all the hype and enthusiasm from the 2 presentations. I guess it's the consumers' responsibility to find out the hard way or read between the lines from these promos, especially from the site.

For me, the more I need to take out my phone, which Apple is really saying, the less compelling it is for the need for the Watch. I am not throwing in the towel yet...I am still excited to try one out at the store. 😃

Regarding taking calls on the watch, I usually have my BT headset, cuz I prefer hands-free...and wearing the Watch would be consistent with that.

Last edited:

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I totally understand...I guess I was expecting more from all the hype and enthusiasm from the 2 presentations. I guess it's the consumers' responsibility to find out the hard way or read between the lines from these promo, especially from the site.

For me, the more I need to take out my phone, which Apple is really saying, the less compelling it is for the need for the Watch. I am not throwing in the towel yet...I am still excited to try one out at the store. ��

Regarding taking calls on the watch, I usually have my BT headset, cuz I prefer hands-free...and wearing the Watch would be consistent with that.

I'll give my two cents here. Your phone habits will determine whether or not a smartwatch (in its current state) is useful for you. I have used a Galaxy Gear for almost 1.5 years now. I receive many work emails that I'm copied on and don't need to respond to. For the few that I do need to respond to when I'm away from my desk, I have no problem pulling out my phone to respond to them. The watch helps because now I don't have to pull out my phone every time that I receive an email, only to find that it's an email that I don't need to respond to anyway. For people who respond to most of the emails that they receive, a smartwatch has less value to them.

I don't receive a lot of text messages at all. If I receive one that I need to respond to, it's not a problem for me to pull out the phone to do so. I rarely dictate my text messages via the watch. Again, the watch helps me determine if I need to bother with pulling out my phone at all.

I also don't receive many calls. Because I keep my phone in my purse, the watch has reduced the number of missed calls that I had in the past because by the time I found my phone in my purse, the call had already gone to voicemail.

Assess your current habits. If you are constantly replying to emails or text messages in noisy environments, the smartwatch may not be that useful for you. You also have to assess your desire for other features of the watch like music control or health tracking (if available). Only you will know whether the watch will be useful for your lifestyle.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Assess your current habits...Only you will know whether the watch will be useful for your lifestyle.
Nicely put.

I do currently own a Samsung Gear S smartwatch, and love the standalone capability, and I also get a lot of calls, texts, emails, and notifications. I too had the Galaxy Gear, but hated pulling out my phone to respond to things, so the Gear S is so much better for me. As a power user, I have everything unlimited with TMobile, so I am constantly connected except during my bedtime. You may be right, the Watch may not be for those who do get a lot of texts, calls, etc. especially when it's tethered to the phone. Like I said, this is Apple's first attempt, the 2nd one will only be better.

For me, I look forward to the day we may replace our smartphone with our smartwatch, with longer lasting battery...and ultimately a true hands-free experience all around. I know many folks may not want that though.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a watch will replace a smartphone like the smartphone didn't replace the computer.
As far as Apple devices go I see them as all companion pieces.
I got a call today from a friend while I was on my MacBook Air I know this friend is long winded so I answered the call on the Mac. So I didn't have to hold my phone for a hour.
I got a call a few mins ago that I knew was a appointment conformation that lasted a few min. A perfect situation for the Watch.
You can make the devices serve whatever purpose you want.
Waiting for the tech to reach a certain level is up to the individual. But if I thought that way I might as well wait for the iPhone 9. It's certain to be better than the 6S, 7, 7S, 8, 8S and the 9S will be better than that and so on.
If you think the Watch serves a purpose in its current state go for it. If not wait.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For me, holding up my wrist to talk on my smartwatch is the same as holding up my phone, same motion, same placement of my arm and hand, only difference is that I am not holding anything when talking on my smartwatch. Either way though, I usually have my BT headset connected, and I assume the Apple Watch has that capability too, which would negate the need of raising my arm, etc.
I don't think a watch will replace a smartphone like the smartphone didn't replace a computer.
A smartphone is mobile, the computer is not, and the use of a full keyboard is so much more functional on a computer. IMO, a smartwatch can replace a smartphone if the battery life is the same. My Gear S can do everything that my Note 4 can, minus shorter battery life.

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Just because they didn't say we could reply to email via watch using Siri, doesn't me we can't. To word a different way, they never said we couldn't, they just didn't say we could.

I think most people see email as bigger that sms and that most people wouldn't want to use Siri to email with. I use it all the time and still have hope that we will be able to.

Cody

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
If you're looking to do something as complicated as an email, just use your damn phone. :)

I bet after you own this this for a few weeks, you won't even be doing text messages with it. Read them, if you want to reply, take the necessary 4 seconds to pull your phone out of your pocket.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking to do something as complicated as an email, just use your damn phone. :)

I bet after you own this this for a few weeks, you won't even be doing text messages with it. Read them, if you want to reply, take the necessary 4 seconds to pull your phone out of your pocket.
Ha, then might as well not make the Watch in the first place. ;)

Last edited:

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the LG G Watch, which is similarly voice activated. Granted it uses Google, but I suspect siri would work just fine too

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4