Red iPhone 7 started buzzing like smoke alarm

I

iMore Question

Was in the car and my iPhone 7 (had it about a month) just started beeping loudly just like how a smoke alarm would sound. Had no apps open. Had to completely shut the the phone down to get it to stop. Anyone know what this is or why it would do that?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! The only thing that comes to mind is that there was an amber alert. Did anything flash on your screen?

Either way, I wouldn't be too concerned unless it keeps happening. If you have any further questions please join the forum and reply back in this thread. How to Sign Up at iMore

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Agree that it could have possibly been a local alert. If you don't require them I'd go to Settings>Notifications and scroll to the bottom and unmark one or both

3519700bcc635eaa62716e59c9e82db8.png

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's a local alert that gets pushed to your iPhone in the case of imminent weather or other alert types. You may need to turn the setting off to avoid having it go off again.

I know what an Amber Alert is.

I was suggesting that this might be what the OP is experiencing.

Andrew_yates86

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I've had amber alerts come up so I'm pretty sure it wasn't any kind of alert. Was also a sound I've never heard before. Exactly what a smoke alarm would sound like. Nothing popped up on screen and there was no way to turn it off besides shutting the phone down.

bigbrompton

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Thats crazy it happened to my phone too, it sounded like a fire alarm not an amber alert i know what amber alerts sound like, all my apps were closed it freaked me out. Its not bothering me right now because it stopped after like 6 seconds. But im sooo curious on why would that even happen

lawdood

May 21, 2017
Visit site
This just happened to me this morning too. I thought my smoke alarm was going off and it was just my iPhone 7 making a loud alarm noise, no apps open, no Amber or emergency alert notifications. WTF?

Dan LeRette

May 21, 2017
Visit site
iPhone 7 user here. My phone did this as well. Few days ago. So I ripped the fire alarm off wall. Then today again. But realized it was the phone. Powered off and back on to stop. Notifications off. Wtf lol

brennenfletchall

May 22, 2017
Visit site
This has happened to me 3 times now. It's very strange. All three at different times of the day. It's incredibly loud and shrill. I actually think it's playing through iTunes. When I hit the lock button it shows a screen that looks like a song playing in iTunes but there is a website where the song title would be. I can make it stop if I open iTunes and play another song. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If you haven't already, you might want to report this on Apple's Feedback page: [URL="https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p]click here[/URL]

robbyberardi

May 24, 2017
Visit site
This just happened again. Loud noise like smoke alarm then song screen appears with [redacted] scrolling.
I searched [redacted] (without clicking) and it's listed as a suspicious site.
Virus?

This has happened twice in the last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This just happened again. Loud noise like smoke alarm then song screen appears with [redacted] scrolling.
I searched [redacted] (without clicking) and it's listed as a suspicious site.
Virus?

This has happened twice in the last week.

Something isn't right there. At this point I recommend putting your iPhone into recovery mode and connecting to iTunes on a Mac or PC. You'll be prompted to install the latest version of iOS. Once iOS is done installing DON'T restore from a back up, rather set it up as a new device and manually install all of your apps. This will ensure that anything that could be causing your issue is overwritten, including anything that could have possibly gotten into iOS itself.

It's a lot of work but it should hopefully clear things up for you.

usmc8408

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Something isn't right there. At this point I recommend putting your iPhone into recovery mode and connecting to iTunes on a Mac or PC. You'll be prompted to install the latest version of iOS. Once iOS is done installing DON'T restore from a back up, rather set it up as a new device and manually install all of your apps. This will ensure that anything that could be causing your issue is overwritten, including anything that could have possibly gotten into iOS itself.

It's a lot of work but it should hopefully clear things up for you.

I love Apple "experts!" Their advice always turns into a "erase everything on your phone and start over." That's some quality advice!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I love Apple "experts!" Their advice always turns into a "erase everything on your phone and start over." That's some quality advice!

Please feel free to offer up some helpful advice! I've been using computers and other devices for about 30 years now. How about you? My advice seems pretty darn solid to eliminate a possible virus or malware on an iOS device. You probably already knew that though...

kbean

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
iPhone 7 Plus just did this to me - sounds exactly like a smoke detector - wonder if the new update I just installed a few days ago has a problem. Never happened before the iOS update.