Please Help Troubleshoot DYI iPhone 4 Repair

Ponta

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know--I shoulda had it fixed. I decided to risk it because I'll be getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out and can do with a loaner POS till then. And, I wanted to advance in dweebhood by gaining a little practical experience at this. And yeah, I'm a twit. Granted.

For now, I would greatly appreciate advice on what to do. Let me spell out all the details so you can see where I stand.

Story: I cracked my iPhone 4 from glass panel. Got a replacement part, took iPhone apart, tried to fit screen on...and discovered it was the screen for an iPhone 4*S*. Didn't know the difference (top corner screw brackets the giveaway) and error was seller's; order page, invoice, and box were marked "4" and not 4S.

So I had to wait 2 days with a disassembled iPhone (covered or bagged parts while waiting), got the right part from another seller (got a refund for the wrong one), and put the phone back together. I don't think the wait affected anything, but felt I should mention it anyway.

It worked. Screen OK. Reception fine. All parts functioned.

For the rest of the day.

I plugged it in to recharge overnight (relevant?). The next morning, the screen showed black. Touchscreen worked, I could use it blind, but no pixels showed up. When turned on, the backlight (?) turned on, you could see slightly lighter shade of black, but no picture.

After evaluation, I considered a few things that went wrong in the initial repair.

#1: Front glass was not flush with case. Found this out only after it was reassembled. Slight backlight light leak visible from side.

#2: As there were no instructions, as no tutorials mentioned this, and as I am (as noted) a twit, I did not remove the blue plastic backing from the new LCD part, the one with the little tab at the bottom right. I was wondering why it was blue and not silver, but thought it was a maker variant and did not want to remove something that might be necessary. It might have contributed to #1 on this list. When I disassembled, it came off partially as it stuck to the frame a bit. Also, a bit of black rubber from the bottom of the LCD came off with it. I assumed that was not vital, but maybe that was what caused the touchscreen to fail? I have no idea. Alternately, maybe the extended pressure from the plastic backing wore at the screen and trashed it by morning.

#3: Small rubber part dropped off, had no idea from where. Looked like it would have been impossible to track down, so I left it out (remember, I *know* I'm a twit). Turns out it was from top of motherboard. I suspect this may have fried my LCD cables, as, assembled, this part is between the edge of the motherboard and the LCD cables. (Web sites I found later claim it is to improve reception).

#4: Motherboard did not fit back in 100% properly. When reassembling, the two small hooks on the EMI shield with the 5 screws did not latch in right. The outside one did, that is, but the middle one would not reach. I probably was stupid to let it go like that, so consider myself (on this as well as on the other frack-ups) self-chastised.

Other possible factors: the vertical LCD tab was stiff and hard to hold down and the first time I tried, I had the devil's own time trying to get it into place. I did not see any physical damage, but wonder if pressure while placing it wrong trying to plug it in may be a culprit. I doubt it, though, as it worked for several hours after the initial repair.

I think that's it.

So, I took it apart and re-assembled it, aiming to fix the snafus.

After the second repair, I had (1) made sure the glass was flush with the case; (2) took off the blue plastic backing from the LCD; (3) reattached the rubber bit on the MB; and (4) made sure the EMI shield fit perfectly. Everything went back in exactly as it should have, as far as I could tell.

I started it up, and... almost the same as before. Black screen with slight brightening of backlight--but this time, the touch screen didn't work, either.

My own guess is that either problem #1 (the rubber from the MB) or #2 (not removing the blue plastic backing from the LCD) are the most likely culprits.

On the other hand, I can confirm that the phone seems to operate: I can receive calls (I just can't answer them), meaning that the iPhone, apparently, is functional aside from the screen. Meaning that possibly it's just a matter of getting another LCD screen.

-----

That's where I am now. I am not hip on getting an official repair, too expensive where I am (Tokyo), especially for the few months left before a new phone comes out. So, my options are:

#1: disassemble and try to reassemble again, hoping that there is still something that can be fixed (i.e., pipe dream scenario)

#2: assuming the problem is only with the screen, order new LCD screen, repair again (i.e., risky but practical)

#3: try #1, rinse and repeat if for no other reason than for practice, and when nothing works, get a cheapo POS loaner replacement from my carrier and wait for iPhone 5.

#4: something I have not thought of.

Any advice is appreciated, just so as you know that I already am aware that I'm an overconfident twit for trying my hand at DIY in the first place.

Thanks!!!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a bad part .. It's possible you fried the screen or it over heated or shorted somehow .. But since the phone works I would get a new screen .. And try again .. Check out www.zeetron.com for repair video and parts

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know--I shoulda had it fixed. I decided to risk it because I'll be getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out and can do with a loaner POS till then. And, I wanted to advance in dweebhood by gaining a little practical experience at this. And yeah, I'm a twit. Granted.

For now, I would greatly appreciate advice on what to do. Let me spell out all the details so you can see where I stand.

Story: I cracked my iPhone 4 from glass panel. Got a replacement part, took iPhone apart, tried to fit screen on...and discovered it was the screen for an iPhone 4*S*. Didn't know the difference (top corner screw brackets the giveaway) and error was seller's; order page, invoice, and box were marked "4" and not 4S.

So I had to wait 2 days with a disassembled iPhone (covered or bagged parts while waiting), got the right part from another seller (got a refund for the wrong one), and put the phone back together. I don't think the wait affected anything, but felt I should mention it anyway.

It worked. Screen OK. Reception fine. All parts functioned.

For the rest of the day.

I plugged it in to recharge overnight (relevant?). The next morning, the screen showed black. Touchscreen worked, I could use it blind, but no pixels showed up. When turned on, the backlight (?) turned on, you could see slightly lighter shade of black, but no picture.

After evaluation, I considered a few things that went wrong in the initial repair.

#1: Front glass was not flush with case. Found this out only after it was reassembled. Slight backlight light leak visible from side.

#2: As there were no instructions, as no tutorials mentioned this, and as I am (as noted) a twit, I did not remove the blue plastic backing from the new LCD part, the one with the little tab at the bottom right. I was wondering why it was blue and not silver, but thought it was a maker variant and did not want to remove something that might be necessary. It might have contributed to #1 on this list. When I disassembled, it came off partially as it stuck to the frame a bit. Also, a bit of black rubber from the bottom of the LCD came off with it. I assumed that was not vital, but maybe that was what caused the touchscreen to fail? I have no idea. Alternately, maybe the extended pressure from the plastic backing wore at the screen and trashed it by morning.

#3: Small rubber part dropped off, had no idea from where. Looked like it would have been impossible to track down, so I left it out (remember, I *know* I'm a twit). Turns out it was from top of motherboard. I suspect this may have fried my LCD cables, as, assembled, this part is between the edge of the motherboard and the LCD cables. (Web sites I found later claim it is to improve reception).

#4: Motherboard did not fit back in 100% properly. When reassembling, the two small hooks on the EMI shield with the 5 screws did not latch in right. The outside one did, that is, but the middle one would not reach. I probably was stupid to let it go like that, so consider myself (on this as well as on the other frack-ups) self-chastised.

Other possible factors: the vertical LCD tab was stiff and hard to hold down and the first time I tried, I had the devil's own time trying to get it into place. I did not see any physical damage, but wonder if pressure while placing it wrong trying to plug it in may be a culprit. I doubt it, though, as it worked for several hours after the initial repair.

I think that's it.

So, I took it apart and re-assembled it, aiming to fix the snafus.

After the second repair, I had (1) made sure the glass was flush with the case; (2) took off the blue plastic backing from the LCD; (3) reattached the rubber bit on the MB; and (4) made sure the EMI shield fit perfectly. Everything went back in exactly as it should have, as far as I could tell.

I started it up, and... almost the same as before. Black screen with slight brightening of backlight--but this time, the touch screen didn't work, either.

My own guess is that either problem #1 (the rubber from the MB) or #2 (not removing the blue plastic backing from the LCD) are the most likely culprits.

On the other hand, I can confirm that the phone seems to operate: I can receive calls (I just can't answer them), meaning that the iPhone, apparently, is functional aside from the screen. Meaning that possibly it's just a matter of getting another LCD screen.

-----

That's where I am now. I am not hip on getting an official repair, too expensive where I am (Tokyo), especially for the few months left before a new phone comes out. So, my options are:

#1: disassemble and try to reassemble again, hoping that there is still something that can be fixed (i.e., pipe dream scenario)

#2: assuming the problem is only with the screen, order new LCD screen, repair again (i.e., risky but practical)

#3: try #1, rinse and repeat if for no other reason than for practice, and when nothing works, get a cheapo POS loaner replacement from my carrier and wait for iPhone 5.

#4: something I have not thought of.

Any advice is appreciated, just so as you know that I already am aware that I'm an overconfident twit for trying my hand at DIY in the first place.

Thanks!!!

Hey man, props for trying!! You're not a twit, you're a novice! Keep trying and you will get better!
I won't even attempt a "frontside" repair because of all that complexity!

Ponta

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
OK, Weird...

As I wrote above, the screen cracked.

I replaced the front LCD with some poor work involved. Screen worked for the evening, then failed the next morning. Image was gone, but touchscreen worked.

I took it apart and put it back together, better. Then the LCD didn't work and the touchscreen failed.

That was where I was at when I posted the above.

Today, I decided to try something to test whether I should get a new LCD: After confirming that the new LCD wasn't functioning, I opened up the back, unplugged the battery, took off the EMI shield, and then unplugged the two LCD cables ONLY.

Then I plugged in my old, cracked screen (which still functioned) without any further disassembly. The cracked screen worked, so I assumed that the issue was purely with the new LCD. So I unplugged the old screen, plugged all the existing parts back together, and closed the case.

For fun, I turned on the phone again.

The new LCD worked, screen and touch panel. The phone is now like new, fully operational.

I am happy, but confused. I swear that I changed nothing, and the LCD connectors were plugged in firmly before and after. In fact, I thought it would be worse: the small gold screw holder atop the EMI shield came off, and I had to cram it back on; furthermore, the bottom middle screw for the shield failed to stay in (stripped?), so I left it out, it's still on my desk.

I guess now I wait and see if it fails again.

Weird.... :confused:

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The small screw at the bottom center of the shield has a small metal connector that plugs in under the shield. Its lightly glued in between the main board and the half round connector where the screw goes.
FYI, they fall out all the time.
Hope i described that correctly. LOL
We all have to learn somehow and you stuck with it.
Thats what matters.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Could have just been a poor connection sometimes reseating it fixes it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
For future reference: the iPhone 4 and 4S use the exact same LCD and digitizer, just the plastic frame is different. If you accidentally order the 4 or 4S just heat up the frame with a blow drier and peel it off. Peel the new frame from the new LCD (should be easy, they tend to use weak adhesive) and insert the new display assembly into the old frame.

A big reason display assemblies dont sit flush is failure to pull the digitizer cable all the way through the midframe. There is a tab section on the lower end of the digitizer cable and if it doesn't make its way through the frame the digi/lcd won't seat correctly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zijinqingqing555