Please help me decide which iPhone to buy

Mickey84

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I cant decide whether to buy an 11 pro or a 12 pro. 11 pros are finishing fast in one shop in my region like 3 new ones left! I definitely want all the latest features but the problem is the latest iPhone has the same flat edges as my last iPhone, 5s. The curved edges look more sophisticated and evolved to me. To the point I'm willing to sacrifice 5G, dolby vision videos and other 12 pro latest features to get the curved edges.

My main question is will I be able to get a good grip on the 11 pro? Does it really slip a lot like many ppl online have been saying? Or is it exaggerated? Thanks!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Generally, I don’t use my 11 Pro without a case. (Same for my iPhone 5 way back when).

For the few times I did have it without a case, it was still not sliding in my hands.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I think all iPhones are slippery. This annoys me, because cases make them bulkier, and why creating all these cool looking surfaces and then you have to hide them. Also, I'm sure there would be technologies/materials to make them grippy. So I suspect Apple (also some Android manfacturers) to make them slippery on purpose, to boost their repair businesses, and to not let the 2nd hand market become too big - I know I will get some upset & negative comments here. I can live with that).
The only iPhone I currently dare to carry without case is the 12 mini, because it's so small it gives me a somewhat better grip. But to be honest, I don't feel very comfortable about that, even with the mini.
My opinion on the 11pro vs 12pro, in terms of which one is grippier: when the 11 pros were released I thought wow that frosted back looks great and for sure will give a good grip. Then it turned out to be even slippier than the previous models. So if you have not totally dry hands, the 12/pro will maybe stick a LITTLE bit better, but still I wouldn't carry one without a case. If your hands are quite dry, it doesn't matter 11 or 12. Just mho.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My main question is will I be able to get a good grip on the 11 pro? Does it really slip a lot like many ppl online have been saying? Or is it exaggerated? Thanks!

That will depend on you. Do you have small hands? If so, it may feel slippery to you, but then again, it may not. Go to a store that sells them, check them out and then decide for yourself.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think all iPhones are slippery. This annoys me, because cases make them bulkier, and why creating all these cool looking surfaces and then you have to hide them. Also, I'm sure there would be technologies/materials to make them grippy. So I suspect Apple (also some Android manfacturers) to make them slippery on purpose, to boost their repair businesses, and to not let the 2nd hand market become too big - I know I will get some upset & negative comments here. I can live with that).

I’m not sure about the repair theory but I do agree that iPhones are slippery. They feel well made, but are heavy and slippery. I guess it’s a compromise we have to decide on.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if the “squared” edges of the iPhone 12 Pro would be easier to hold than the rounded edges of the iPhone 11 Pro? I always use a case as well. I agree that the best thing to do is actually hold each one. Both are great phones!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
My assessment on "slipperyness" would be as follows:

11 (round aluminum edges): very slippery
11pro (round steel edges): maybe a tad less slippery than the 11 on the edges, but the back is even more slippery.
12 (flat aluminum edges): very slippery, maybe a tad less that the 11/pro, due to flat edges. Some people say these edges cause pain when holding the phone long though.
12 pro (flat steel edges): steel maybe a little less slippery than aluminum, but the back slippery like the 11 pro.
12 mini (flat aluminum edges): slippery like the non-mini-12, but may give you a little more firm grip due to small size.

And, like I said before, if your hands are very dry, basically all iPhones will slip out of your hands like a piece of wet soap. If not totally dry, the stainless steel edges of the pro models may stick a tiny little bit better. On the other hand, the glass back of the non pro models will stick to non-dry hands a tiny little bit better than the frosted pro backs.

So yes, you either just buy the phone you want, and put it in a case, or you go and try them all out for yourself.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I cant decide whether to buy an 11 pro or a 12 pro. 11 pros are finishing fast in one shop in my region like 3 new ones left! I definitely want all the latest features but the problem is the latest iPhone has the same flat edges as my last iPhone, 5s. The curved edges look more sophisticated and evolved to me. To the point I'm willing to sacrifice 5G, dolby vision videos and other 12 pro latest features to get the curved edges.

I think it depends on how you hold your phone. I got the 11 Pro Max (Xs Max, 8 Plus and 7 Plus prior to it) so the weight would make up for the lack of grip caused by the rounded edges. Then I tried a regular iPhone 12 at my local  Store and I really loved the grip it provided, so that’s the one I got!

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Both are great devices, the 11 Pro Max was more comfortable to hold in the hand for me - case less on both devices

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77