Over use of "like" in iMore podcast 430

havpilot

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This is directed to Rene. I'm a long time listener and have enjoyed your podcasts. I am 10 podcasts behind and just listened to podcast 430. I found this particular podcast difficult to listen to because a new panel member, although very knowledgeable, is using the word "like" an enormous amount and even infecting Ally to do the same. You guessed it, her name is Serenity. Rene, could you please instruct your guests to use proper sentence structure? It's 'like' very wearing to 'like' hear 'like' that word so 'like' often. Please carefully choose not only knowledgeable guests, but podcasters who have lost their teenage language. Thanks so much for listening Rene, I hope I wasn't offensive.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
This is directed to Rene. I'm a long time listener and have enjoyed your podcasts. I am 10 podcasts behind and just listened to podcast 430. I found this particular podcast difficult to listen to because a new panel member, although very knowledgeable, is using the word "like" an enormous amount and even infecting Ally to do the same. You guessed it, her name is Serenity. Rene, could you please instruct your guests to use proper sentence structure? It's 'like' very wearing to 'like' hear 'like' that word so 'like' often. Please carefully choose not only knowledgeable guests, but podcasters who have lost their teenage language. Thanks so much for listening Rene, I hope I wasn't offensive.

I 'LIKED' your observation and what you say is 100% true. Although it maybe happening sub-consciously, it has to be brought out ,so that the person can improve.

havpilot

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I 'LIKED' your observation and what you say is 100% true. Although it maybe happening sub-consciously, it has to be brought out ,so that the person can improve.

Thanks for your response. It's similar to how news correspondents have to lose a substandard local accent before they go to a big market station.

Last edited:

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response. It's similar to how news correspondent's have to loose a substandard local accent before they go to a big market station.

You are going to complain about "substandard" language and then use the word "loose" incorrectly. SMH

Your intent may have been in the right place, but your OP was incredibly offensive and rude. Like, ya know, right?

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe rude, because reality bites. I had an irritating monotone and would make weird hand gestures,while making presentations. A colleague pointed this out. Although shocked, I made a few recordings of myself and improved upon those sub-consciously irritating habits.

There is nothing better than a negative feedback for self-improvement.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the criticism in this case for a different reason: now I am going to hear it and focus on it. Now I have to ignore 2 things! Georgia's giggle AND Ren's 'like'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps it's not a good podcast to binge on. For me it's only interesting the week it comes out as they discuss what's currently in the news. Perhaps I am following Apple news too closely!

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't like the criticism in this case for a different reason: now I am going to hear it and focus on it. Now I have to ignore 2 things! Georgia's giggle AND Ren's 'like'.

The few times I've listened to the iMore podcast, Georgia's giggle really did get on my nerves lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Criticism, if well-intentioned and delivered without malice, can be a good thing. At the same time, we can't ignore the differences in people, whether they are neighbors, colleagues or podcast hosts. Some people dislike the southern dialect whereas others dislike the Boston dialect. It's who they are and we must learn to respect it. As for the OP, I don't think he or she was being deliberately mean or anything.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I say this with the upmost respect to the people that do the podcast. I know it's not easy to produce content to talk about every single week. Especially for Rene who does a lot of podcasts, but, I have literally just stopped listening to the iMore show when Serenity is on. It's not the "like" thing. I just find her very hard on my ears when she speaks.

After the last Vector podcast, I will probably stop listening to that also because Georgia's giggle is over-exaggerated. Whenever Guy makes a comment that really isn't meant for huge laughs, you get that giggle and it makes what Guy said seem as though it was meant for big laughs and he turns out looking like he made a bad joke.

Also, after hearing Rene's last appearance on Gruber's "The Talk Show", I think it's a shame that he doesn't have a chance to speak more on the Mobile Nations podcasts than he currently does.

Side-note: I wish Jerry Hillenbrand could come on the iMore show once in a great while because that is one well-spoken smart dude.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Definitely like Jerry, he does a great podcast with Phil. My biggest problem with iMore is the show constantly cutting out. And they need to cut it down a bit. To many people on at one time.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
No offense to the writers at iMore, but I just don't listen to their podcast. I have tried and it just doesn't do it for me, not one specific person or reason, but just as a whole production the Android Central podcast seems much more well rounded and less tunnel vision-y.... :)
Jerry is definitely someone that knows his stuff and without a doubt is the best podcast participant of any of the mobile nation members.

And OP if you think trying to get Rene's attention in the forums is going to work, good luck, I have never once seen him participate in any thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB