No sleep tracking! Really?!?! What about 3rd party apps?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Can the iPhone not do the same function that you want out of the iWatch when you are sleeping? Are the sensors different?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Can the iPhone not do the same function that you want out of the iWatch when you are sleeping? Are the sensors different?
Yes but a sensor strapped to your wrist is much more accurate than a sensor sitting next to you in the bed, especially when you share your bed with another person.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
There are iPhone apps for sleeping. Place under pillow. Etc. they work. But again they pick up another person if that's your sleeping arrangement. I don't mind it. But I will top off shortly before bed and charge when ever needed. Same as I do with iPhone. Top it off when needed and in a short time frame

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any obvious reason why Apple would disapprove a sleep tracking app, assuming the Watch's sensors would be up to the task. If they are, then customers wanting to use their watch for that purpose could. Yes, they'd have to accommodate their need against the charge time reality, but how practical that would be would be would be driven by times when the watch could be plugged in for charging.

If the watch is charged during the evening, then worn overnight, how much it would be drained would be largely driven by how often the screen awakes. If the app can activate a feature to prevent the screen from waking due to arm movement during the night, it's charge level in the morning might permit it to be charged over the early morning hours you're getting ready for your day.

In short, it's just not clear at this point that this isn't simply a software issue, and user process issue to modify their daily procedure to accommodate this special need.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I use 24/7 on my phone, under my pillow. It doesn't pick up my OH. It's quite accurate, though not perfect.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No sleep tracker isn't a dealbreaker for me. I have a fitbit one that tracks sleep and also have the app called Sleep Cycle on my iPhone that does this too. Heck, the iPhone app does amazing sleep tracking (worth the few bucks).

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm concerned Hank you won't be able to track your golf and naps on one charge. #oldage. I'm half kidding. Using the golf gps app on my pebble during a round uses battery quick figuring I checked distance about 45 times in a round.

With that note I'm out of this thread. OP if you want to chat hit me with a pm.

Naps are AWESOME! Tracking makes them even better!!! ;)

jatilq

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Apple Watch as Sleep Tracker
Apple has not said anything -- yet -- about tracking sleep with the Apple Watch. The watch does have the sensors needed to track sleep. However, Apple has not announced an accompanying native app for sleep analysis.

Whether the watch can be used for nightly sleep analysis will depend largely on the battery life -- which has not yet been announced. If the battery requires a re-charge at the end of each day, it will need to be paired with its inductive charging base during some portion of the day -- or night, when you'd like it to be on your wrist for sleep tracking. However, if the battery can hold a sufficient charge for more than a day at a time, then it will be available at night to be worn on the wrist for sleep tracking. I'll return to this section to update both battery specs and the potential for sleep tracking once more information becomes available.

I found this info before landing here. I have not posted enough to post links and had to retype what I typed before (too lazy to do it again). My opinion it will have the ability to work with the healthkit from day one and or 3rd party apps.

I should add I have a Polar loop now and pebble watch. I returned my Fitbit Surge and feel the pain of many of the commenters here, but the end of the day I believe sleep tracking is built into the device because its in the healthkit.

Do a google search for the title of the paragraph to find the source.

perspicacity

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't see any obvious reason why Apple would disapprove a sleep tracking app, assuming the Watch's sensors would be up to the task. If they are, then customers wanting to use their watch for that purpose could. Yes, they'd have to accommodate their need against the charge time reality, but how practical that would be would be would be driven by times when the watch could be plugged in for charging.

I believe this is my first forum post. I'm a medical researcher with recent experience in technologies utilised for sleep science. Wearable, multi-function activity trackers are very poor at assessing complex variables of sleep. About all they're good for, regarding sleep assessment, is basic quantitative data (i.e., hours in bed). Based on comparative testing against the rigs of sensors that are required for peer-reviewed sleep science, consumer activity trackers are not only inadequate, but often present false insights.

You're better off simply manually logging your sleep. iOS's Health app permits this. If you're not under medical supervision and just interested in better sleep via QS (Quantified Self) method, start by logging your sleep in Health app, track your diet and exercise, keep a written journal and analyse after some time.

Apple didn't include a native sleep tracking app in the Watch because science doesn't support it. Battery life is entirely besides the point. Sleep tracking via a single-appendage, wearable activity band/clip is a gimmick. Use the sensors instead for tracking continuous vigorous movements, otherwise known as exercise.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I do. It's more convenient to lift my wrist to see if I can afford a few more winks. It also acts as a silent alarm since I need to wake up as early as 4am with two little ones in the house.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe this is my first forum post. I'm a medical researcher with recent experience in technologies utilised for sleep science. Wearable, multi-function activity trackers are very poor at assessing complex variables of sleep. About all they're good for, regarding sleep assessment, is basic quantitative data (i.e., hours in bed). Based on comparative testing against the rigs of sensors that are required for peer-reviewed sleep science, consumer activity trackers are not only inadequate, but often present false insights.

You're better off simply manually logging your sleep. iOS's Health app permits this. If you're not under medical supervision and just interested in better sleep via QS (Quantified Self) method, start by logging your sleep in Health app, track your diet and exercise, keep a written journal and analyse after some time.

Apple didn't include a native sleep tracking app in the Watch because science doesn't support it. Battery life is entirely besides the point. Sleep tracking via a single-appendage, wearable activity band/clip is a gimmick. Use the sensors instead for tracking continuous vigorous movements, otherwise known as exercise.

Thank you for providing this information.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz