New bedtime (Sleep/wake up) function doesn't sound alarm on phone

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
This has been happening every day since I got iOS 14 (and even since updating to 14.1).

I keep my phone and watch on silent (but ringer volume is set to maximum and is not altered by the side buttons) and previously on iOS 13 my phone alarm would sound when the 'Bedtime' function was set.

Under iOS14, all I get is a vibration on my watch when it's time for the 'Sleep/wake up' alarm to sound, which doesn't wake me up at all as i'm a heavy sleeper. My phone doesn't light up, vibrate or sound the alarm at all.

I've resorted to using normal alarms just to ensure I get up at the right time but it is an inelegant solution.

I keep my watch on for sleep and health tracking reasons as requested by my doctor, so I can't take the watch off overnight.

Many people have reported this problem and some have said that after updating to 14.1 that their issue is fixed and some like me have reported that it isn't fixed.

What am I doing wrong? I must have missed a toggle switch or something somewhere. If there's a solution, this is easily the best place to find it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It might have to do with the watch being on silent.

The phone will not ring for a bedtime alarm if your watch is unlocked, because it will transfer that responsibility to the watch. Not sure how to make it bypass the silence option however.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Ah ok, I think I understand you. So if my watch is on silent it will stop my phone from ringing?

I'm know it didn't work like that before. I've been woken up many times over the last year by the 'bedtime' function sounding my alarm on my phone while i've been wearing my watch; both of which were silenced.

It's a weird thing to happen and somewhat makes the function redundant. Still, I maintain it's user error and i've screwed up a setting somewhere.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That’s not exactly what I am trying to say.

The silent state doesn’t mirror between your phone and your watch.

What I’m saying is that because your watch is unlocked (which implies on your wrist), it’s the device your phone will use to wake you up); that’s similar to the way regular notifications work.

This is a new feature in iOS 14 and watchOS 7.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien