Need to vent over the poor customer service at AT&T store, Brandon FL

I

iMore Question

This evening I went into the AT&T store for what I thought would be another pleasant experience. I've been a long standing customer, over 10 years and with 5 phones (teens now adults) on the plan we are quite familiar with our local AT&T store! In fact just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to the Galaxy Note 3 and bought a case from my local AT&T store. It wasn't a cheap case, retailing for about $45 but my employer gives me a discount so it was about $30. Normally I am quite happy with AT&T but not today, I am so mad that I am seriously considering giving the $42,440.00 that I figured I will spend on cell phones over the next 10 years for those 5 phones (based on what I spent the last 10 years.....yes I was so mad that I came home and figured just exactly how much AT&T has received of my hard earned money because I was so shocked with the message they were sending me... I'll get there quick I promise!) . Anyway that case I mentioned, well a piece of it just broke off as I was trying to turn the phone off. I didn't drop the phone nor the case since I had it so I wasn't expecting a piece to come off. It isn't very noticeable but it was a piece about an inch long right next to the on/off switch for my new Note 3. Anyway it seems obvious to me that that case was defective and my plan this evening was just to walk into the store I purchase it at , just a couple of weeks ago, and trade it in on another. Thought this would be easy peezy after all I purchased it at the store, which they track, and they can tell it was just 2 weeks ago. I entered the store and there was only one other group of customers when a employee comes to greet me. I advise employee the details, that I just bought the phone and the case 2 weeks ago, didn't drop, piece broke off and I want to exchange. He doesn't ask for my cell phone number or the receipt but asks for the box the case came in. I tell him that I don't have the box.... there in the store we took the case out of the box when we were buying and changing SIMs and he then proceeds to tell me that without the box no exchange. I am quite shocked with the lack of caring this guy is displaying and the words that are coming out of his mouth so I said "your crazy". Yep it was my first response, not right, but the truth! I thought to myself this guy must be crazy.... and the words just came out... but I was thinking why would I have the box when we took the phone and the case and put it all together in this store just 2 weeks ago... how long am I to keep a box! He matter factually replied that he wasn't crazy, still didn't ask for the receipt or look up my account and again said he wasn't making any exchange without the box. I asked him to pull up my account, he wouldn't, offered no solution, no anything. I calmly asked him if I understood that he wasn't going to try and help resolve a concern that a customer paying over $350 a month has about a 30$ case, he said he couldn't help me and again offered no solution. I've never seen this guy before so I asked for his business card..... finally some exertion as he went to the back for 8 minutes to get a card ... came out and gave it to me. I mentioned then that I was seriously thinking I need to take my $350 a month somewhere else where they can fix the needs of a $30 defective product and he said "fine". .... UGGGHHHHH Really okay, well when I got home I looked on the AT&T website where I read that AT&T would be glad to exchange defective products within 1 year of sale with proof of purchase. No box mentioned! Again I am thinking what is up with this guy... the assistant manager the card said.... as they can see on my account I purchased the case. This doesn't make good business sense.... why quibble over a $30 case with no box when the box isn't even part of the policy and lose so much money that they make each month from my family's business? The asst manager should know better what the policy is and try to save a customer. Well, as a manager in my own business that is the expectation... Tomorrow I'll call AT&T and see if I can get some assistance but if not I only have one phone in contract and if they can't honor a product that they sold then over the principle I'll go through the headache of switching. Now who should I switch to?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Stay with your current provider, but compose an email to both the manager of the store and AT&T corporate headquarters regarding your experience. I have no idea what their return policy is on accessories, but two weeks is quite a while. Personally, I don't throw away ANY boxes or their contents until the return expiration date has expired. Also, instead of focusing on AT&T, notify the maker of the case and see if they'll replace it for you.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That stinks. Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've been to the AT&T store here so much, I know most of the employees there by name, and it's always been pleasant.

In terms of switching, how many lines are you switching? What plan do you have. Verizon and AT&T are sort of similar in pricing, but, in my area at least, AT&T wins in terms of coverage. In your area though, T-Mobile coverage looks very solid, might be of consideration. Great savings if you do go with T-Mobile as well.

Good luck!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use to be faithful to BRANDS and STORES, now I'm only FAITHFUL to my WIFE. I had a similiar incident with Sprint after being with them for many years, I decided to move along and couldn't be happier. The world has changed, it was a time where long time customers were appreciated, not any more....its all about the mighty dollar. $30 are you serious....you shouldn't have to email anyone, they can pull your customer profile right there in the store and see that your a long time customer. That was an experience that should have never been...period. Once again....VERIZON

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This evening I went into the AT&T store for what I thought would be another pleasant experience. I've been a long standing customer, over 10 years and with 5 phones (teens now adults) on the plan we are quite familiar with our local AT&T store! In fact just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to the Galaxy Note 3 and bought a case from my local AT&T store. It wasn't a cheap case, retailing for about $45 but my employer gives me a discount so it was about $30. Normally I am quite happy with AT&T but not today, I am so mad that I am seriously considering giving the $42,440.00 that I figured I will spend on cell phones over the next 10 years for those 5 phones (based on what I spent the last 10 years.....yes I was so mad that I came home and figured just exactly how much AT&T has received of my hard earned money because I was so shocked with the message they were sending me... I'll get there quick I promise!) . Anyway that case I mentioned, well a piece of it just broke off as I was trying to turn the phone off. I didn't drop the phone nor the case since I had it so I wasn't expecting a piece to come off. It isn't very noticeable but it was a piece about an inch long right next to the on/off switch for my new Note 3. Anyway it seems obvious to me that that case was defective and my plan this evening was just to walk into the store I purchase it at , just a couple of weeks ago, and trade it in on another. Thought this would be easy peezy after all I purchased it at the store, which they track, and they can tell it was just 2 weeks ago. I entered the store and there was only one other group of customers when a employee comes to greet me. I advise employee the details, that I just bought the phone and the case 2 weeks ago, didn't drop, piece broke off and I want to exchange. He doesn't ask for my cell phone number or the receipt but asks for the box the case came in. I tell him that I don't have the box.... there in the store we took the case out of the box when we were buying and changing SIMs and he then proceeds to tell me that without the box no exchange. I am quite shocked with the lack of caring this guy is displaying and the words that are coming out of his mouth so I said "your crazy". Yep it was my first response, not right, but the truth! I thought to myself this guy must be crazy.... and the words just came out... but I was thinking why would I have the box when we took the phone and the case and put it all together in this store just 2 weeks ago... how long am I to keep a box! He matter factually replied that he wasn't crazy, still didn't ask for the receipt or look up my account and again said he wasn't making any exchange without the box. I asked him to pull up my account, he wouldn't, offered no solution, no anything. I calmly asked him if I understood that he wasn't going to try and help resolve a concern that a customer paying over $350 a month has about a 30$ case, he said he couldn't help me and again offered no solution. I've never seen this guy before so I asked for his business card..... finally some exertion as he went to the back for 8 minutes to get a card ... came out and gave it to me. I mentioned then that I was seriously thinking I need to take my $350 a month somewhere else where they can fix the needs of a $30 defective product and he said "fine". .... UGGGHHHHH Really okay, well when I got home I looked on the AT&T website where I read that AT&T would be glad to exchange defective products within 1 year of sale with proof of purchase. No box mentioned! Again I am thinking what is up with this guy... the assistant manager the card said.... as they can see on my account I purchased the case. This doesn't make good business sense.... why quibble over a $30 case with no box when the box isn't even part of the policy and lose so much money that they make each month from my family's business? The asst manager should know better what the policy is and try to save a customer. Well, as a manager in my own business that is the expectation... Tomorrow I'll call AT&T and see if I can get some assistance but if not I only have one phone in contract and if they can't honor a product that they sold then over the principle I'll go through the headache of switching. Now who should I switch to?

Just buy it again and return the old one back. Is that simple.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you had to go through such horrible customer service. I would send a letter to a local or regional manager. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1