Need advice on MacBook Pro's

Tez258

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro in the very near future and need some advice.
This'll be my first Mac so want to make sure I'm buying the right gear.

From what ive heard from the rumours, there's supposedly a new pro coming out in June and they will include the new intel ivy bridge processors. Also I've heard that there will be no optical drive on the new pros which is a real pain as ill be using it for ripping my CD collection and watching DVDs as well as producing music in Ableton Live.

My main question is should I wait for the new pros to be released or aim my sights at the current gen pros?
My budget will be around £1000.

Also do you think there be a price drop on the new pros? I ask this as I've never really followed Macs
, just mainly followed what's happening in the iOS world.

Sorry for the long post :).

ubuntudroid

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a 13" MBP and love it. I opted for the smaller 2.4 GHz processor and upped the hard drive (750gb) and the 8gb of RAM.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro in the very near future and need some advice.
This'll be my first Mac so want to make sure I'm buying the right gear.

From what ive heard from the rumours, there's supposedly a new pro coming out in June and they will include the new intel ivy bridge processors. Also I've heard that there will be no optical drive on the new pros which is a real pain as ill be using it for ripping my CD collection and watching DVDs as well as producing music in Ableton Live.

My main question is should I wait for the new pros to be released or aim my sights at the current gen pros?
My budget will be around £1000.

Also do you think there be a price drop on the new pros? I ask this as I've never really followed Macs
, just mainly followed what's happening in the iOS world.

Sorry for the long post :).

Indeed the new MacBook Pros are rumored to be coming out in the June timeframe. And the budget limit you mentioned ($1000) is rather slim for a MBP... the current crop go for $1199 for a basic 13" model and go up to $2600 and up for a loaded 17" model... the 15" MBP models currently start at $1799...

When the new ones are released, no doubt there will be a modest discount on the current year models (guessing/history would indicate about $100-150 across the board)... and the new ones will more than likely be priced where (or near) where the current crop currently is priced.

You don't mention the screen size that interests you, but the majority of users go with the 15"... so with that said, your best bet might be a used MBP. Whether or not the model you buy has an optical drive may also be a factor for you. If you get one without an optical drive, you can always use an external device - which can be had for $30 and up. But there's the hassle of carrying it with you if that is a need. So if you do need an optical drive, and don't want to go the external route, you are more than likely looking at the current year model or earlier.

The good/bad of it is that Macs in general and MBPs specifically do tend to hold their value... and will run for a long time with minimal care.

Tez258

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the uk so the 'base' 13 inch model is £999 over here lol.

Screen size doesn't really bother me to be honest but I would require a decent graphics chip/card to run a few games every now and again.

Over here the 15 inch models are £500 dearer than the base 13 inch model which is really off putting.

But thanks for the replies will have to pop into my local Apple retailer to have a play I think.

Thanks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the uk so the 'base' 13 inch model is ?999 over here lol.

Screen size doesn't really bother me to be honest but I would require a decent graphics chip/card to run a few games every now and again.

Over here the 15 inch models are ?500 dearer than the base 13 inch model which is really off putting.

But thanks for the replies will have to pop into my local Apple retailer to have a play I think.

Thanks.

You're welcome for the input/opinion. Sorry to say my "conversion math" between Euros and/or Pounds Sterling to USD is quite poor. Good luck with your decision, and I think "having a play" is a good idea. Keep us updated with your choice!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got a 13", and actually prefer it to my wife's 15". Portability is great and I figure I can use an external display when and if I really need size. Considered holding out for the Ivy Bridge models but decided the difference wouldn't be that meaningful for my needs. My old laptop was getting old and the mbp feels lightning quick by comparison.

I also bought mine refurbished, which comes with the same warranty but saved me a couple of hundred dollars.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
One more point for discussion... there are also rumors of a "retina" type display coming to the MacBook lineup (both MacBook Pro and MacBook Air)... but, as usual, we don't know when that change will come - if it comes at all... The current MBPs have a lower resolution than the current MBAs... the 13" MBP has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and the 13" MBA has a resolution of 1440 x 900 - the same resolution as my 15" MBP.

Apple currently does offer "hi-res" screen options on the MBPs, but the max resolution for the 15" MBP is only 1680 x 1050 and comes at a $100 premium. The problem is that to get the hi-res screen requires special order from Apple or, purchasing a model "off the shelf" at an Apple store with other spec bumps, and the corresponding price bumps, as well.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Decided to go for the base 13' model. Picking it up a week on Friday :D.

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Awesome... I've never seen a 13-foot (13') MacBook Pro... (Yeah, I know you meant 13", but couldn't help myself)... good luck to you!

Tez258

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Got my MacBook pro last Friday and haven't put it down since.

To anyone doubting buying one, just do it! Well worth the £999 I paid for mine.

The 13 inch screen seems massive and is exceptionally clear. Perfect for making music on and playing a bit of half life 2.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Got my MacBook pro last Friday and haven't put it down since.

To anyone doubting buying one, just do it! Well worth the ?999 I paid for mine.

The 13 inch screen seems massive and is exceptionally clear. Perfect for making music on and playing a bit of half life 2.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Congrats... glad to hear you are happy with your purchase... most of us are.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nethtanyang