Muted Speaker

F450Mikey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
When I hold my hand close to the speaker, the sound is muted until I change my hand position. It stays muted for 5-10 key strokes then comes back full volume. I tend to "palm" my phone in landscape mode with my left hand and type with my right. It will do it in portrait orientation too. Anyone have this problem? It is a 32GB 3Gs on 3.0

F450Mikey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm willing to put money on it that the OP thinks there are two speakers on the bottom of the phone. ;)

Mine only has one... maybe you have two. Still muted after I uncover the single speaker with my hand.

Why is it still muted with nothing blocking the speaker?

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
You do realize BadAsh was telling you that there's 2 speakers on both sides of the place where the plug goes into your iPhone right? Because a 3GS has 2 speakers, not 1.

iphone3g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You do realize BadAsh was telling you that there's 2 speakers on both sides of the place where the plug goes into your iPhone right? Because a 3GS has 2 speakers, not 1.

iphone3g.jpg

Actually I was telling him there is only one speaker. One is a microphone the other a speaker. :) There is not two speakers on any iPhone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Yet I have no answer for the OP's problem. Ot does not make sense. There are no proximaty sensors or switches the op my accidentally hit. It is a complete mystery.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Left = speaker, right = mic

I'm pretty sure it's the way you're holding the phone. I don't see how it would stay muted when there is no sensor to do such a thing. Try it with music and I bet it goes from "muted" to muffled to music when you pull your hand off. It's probably the way you are holding it.

F450Mikey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Problems solved. I blew out the 32 pin port with compressed air and the problem has gone away for now. Maybe a piece of lint was causing the problem.