Migrating from Gmail to a secure personal email solution

blundmark

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I am ready to thank Google for the free email service that they have provided and move on to another solution. I would like the new solution to be secure. I am willing to pay some monthly fees for this peace of mind. What are good paths forward?

This is for personal email only. I have at least one other person that may come along with me.

Are there guides for moving from Gmail to other solutions?

I have a feeling this is going to be a bit painful as I have hundreds of website logins that use my Gmail addresses...

I greatly appreciate your help/advice.

Thanks!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I'm a G Suite (not your free Gmail) and Office 365 administrator. I can't fault either but sure love the greater features with Microsoft and all their attempts to be super Apple clients or servers.

If security is your concern, Office 365 is moderately priced for an individual or small business and has as good as it gets security features. By itself and with AIP 2 you can have not just your own security but standards that are certified for human resources, health care and certain government standards.

I am moving a personal domain I have to Office 365 because the mail hosting and full software suite are now less expensive than lots of good hosting options. I have already moved much of what I did with a free gmail account to a G Suite account offered to alumni of the school I went to.

A good password management system will aid your issue of managing credentials. I'm fond of LastPass but there are others. My approach would be get your LastPass account set up with your new credentials. Then use it to ease changing account info for the services and sites you use. Just to be safe make a temporary text version of all your old and new credentials.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a Google Apps for Business, Education, and also Office 365, all for work, and Office 365 for personal use. I like them all for different reasons, as they are all being used for different purposes. I haven't had any issues with any of them.

I got my Gmail address back in the early days of Google. this was back when first.last and firstlast were two different email addresses. Now I'm getting email addresses to firstlast ever since Google apparently "merged" email addresses. Not a big deal as I have a rule set to send anything addressed to firstlast to deleted items.

I and curious to know the reasons @blundmark is looking for something "more secure".

blundmark

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
This is very helpful. Thank you! I will look into Office 365. Wondering how costly and difficult it is for me to homegrow my own solution.

I am pretty good with technology, but don't really understand the options here.

Thank you again. I really appreciate you taking the time to consider my post and share your thoughts!

Bruce

blundmark

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your note. I may have mischaracterized my thinking. Perhaps more secure isn't the right way to describe what I am hoping to do.

My primary mission is to separate from Gmail/google. I am just increasingly uncomfortable with them as a provider. I don't use anything other than gmail from them. So, I am looking to move my email services somewhere else.

I don't have a good feel what that really means. Seems to me, that I need to have/rent/subscribe to a server that manages email and provides for client access. Ideally, I would only need to do this once. In doing this, I want to be sure to have a flexible (from an access point of view) and secure solution.

I didn't mention in responding to @imjwl that I do use strong passwords and a password manager.

Thank you, too, for considering and responding to my post!

Happy holidays!

Bruce

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This is very helpful. Thank you! I will look into Office 365. Wondering how costly and difficult it is for me to homegrow my own solution.

I am pretty good with technology, but don't really understand the options here.

Thank you again. I really appreciate you taking the time to consider my post and share your thoughts!

Bruce

The Office 365 support is superb for any of the tiers with email included. You can have your own business premium account and add the inexpensive email only accounts for family members as an example. They also have partners who help you "onboard" with fees that vary.

IIRC, Some news said G Suite has around 70 million users when business an education are added up. The fall quarter reported Microsoft with 32ish million 365/Azure customers and a user count that was many times that. My point being you're in good company with plenty of resources if you choose either platform's paid or professional level products.