Microsoft once again fails to understand that.......

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft once again fails to understand that, when it comes to tablets, Windows isn't a feature - It's a liability | iMore.com

Another great read by Rene this AM...

After reading this I felt fired up!!! I have seen the commercial in my own personal time and shook my head the first time I saw it as well. What is Microsoft thinking..Lot's of solid points that after reading it, you understand the true nature of Apple and their over all intentions in years past and future.. Microsoft tried a low blow.. But IMO they actually took it the hardest themselves..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nobody cares about the Windows tablet, so they have to do something to get attention flowing in their direction...attack based advertising is pretty much the only thing they had to use, just like Apple did back in the day with the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" marketing campaign (as the macbooks and iMacs were not even on the radar really when it came to sales and numbers).

To be honest, i actually HOPE that Microsoft finds success with their phones and their tablets because the rivalry between Apple and Microsoft brought us what we now love about Apple, and that same rivalry today would further development efforts, which is nothing but good for the consumer.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
A low blow from Microsoft? Hardly. They are simply doing what Apple did years ago with their Mac versus PC ads. It's the nature of advertising. Get over it. It seems as if Rene is getting a lot of negative feedback on his article judging from the comments being posted.

Sent from somewhere

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the distinction needs to be made between Windows RT and Windows 8.

Windows RT is a flop, and was probably a bad idea to begin with. When people think "Windows", they expect the full Windows experience, including being able to run the huge amount of x86 Windows apps out there. I'm sure that in most cases, when people discover that Windows RT cannot run the apps they've been able to run on their desktop/laptop, they rule RT out as an option.

That said, Intel (and to a lesser extent AMD) has made strides in producing more compact and efficient x86 chips and I think we will see more x86 tablets running Windows 8 out there.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think the distinction needs to be made between Windows RT and Windows 8.

Windows RT is a flop, and was probably a bad idea to begin with. When people think "Windows", they expect the full Windows experience, including being able to run the huge amount of x86 Windows apps out there. I'm sure that in most cases, when people discover that Windows RT cannot run the apps they've been able to run on their desktop/laptop, they rule RT out as an option.

That said, Intel (and to a lesser extent AMD) has made strides in producing more compact and efficient x86 chips and I think we will see more x86 tablets running Windows 8 out there.

I agree that people want windows and not modern, metro, or whatever you want to call that ugly tile UI filled with limited crap apps. But so far there hasn't been a tablet (thin and light as the ipad) that can really run windows that well without compromises such as screen resolution, poor battery, poor jerky performance, anemic storage, no cellular, etc.

To get there, tech has to advance. Much like it does for Apple to release a larger iphone or a retina Mini ipad.

MS is headed the wrong way trying to force this Metro UI on everyone though. It's like trying to leverage a past failure, hammering away at it hoping to finally see it stick. I don't like it. Rene makes great points about it. No one I've talked to wants it on their computer. Even if I'm using a current windows 8 tablet, I wouldn't want to use or see the Metro UI knowing real windows is laying underneath it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft is becoming more sad every day. I want them to do good, why because then that pushes Apple and we are the ones that benefit no matter which OS or hardware we use. The problem I see with Microsoft though is not the hardware or the ideas they are implimenting it's the half assed way they go about doing it. God I wish they would fire Balmer and hire me :) lol They try to do what Apple does by not asking consumers about features but making the decision for them a la start button. The problem is it's the wrong decision, they spent decades teaching people how to use their OS and now because they have the lion's share of the market they want to change it all up why? The next mistake instead of following Apple's lead and making two seperate OSes one for computers and one for mobile with elements from each mixed in they figure that's too much we'll just make one OS that works on both touch devices and computers again why? Touch on a computer is not here yet like the Windows tablets of the 90s they impliment these ideas when it's half baked and people aren't used to the change yet. If Microsoft was smart they should have had outlets for people using the Windows 8 betas to give feedback about what they liked, what they didn't like. Then they would have taken Windows 7 and made a list of the positives and the negatives then take Windows 8 and do the same. Then you add the enhancements of Windows 8 to Windows 7.

Worst of all their marketing sucks, who remembers the Windows Phone ads, it's great having live tiles because when you're in a club it allows you to check your phone without checking your phone, right??? Their quest to treat people like they are out to pirate everything, XBox One needs to check in online within 24 hours or the game will stop playing, games have individual codes which tries to kill the used game sale industry. Why not work with the people out there to make a good experience for gamers all around and try to figure out how to make the hardware better. People are still willing to buy $60 games and you want to go even further and make it harder to play them? The problem is Microsoft is so big even when these things fail they still make money, people still get paid and Balmer is still a millionaire possibly billionaire so there is no negative impact, yet.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's not any lower than the Mac vs. PC ads.

I would not buy an iPad. It's simple and great. But it's too simple for me.

I think Microsoft is doing the right thing with tablets and phones. I disagree with Rene. Microsoft still rules enterprise and doing work. There is a whole market of people who may want to ditch their laptop and still be able to do work. The iPad is not going to satisfy these people. Apple has sold lots and lots of iPads. But even more still do not own a tablet as they do not meet everyone's computing needs. These are the people Microsoft must capture. And these ads show them why they can now consider a Windows 8 tablet over the iPad they have spent the past 3 years not buying; myself included.

Where Microsoft is going wrong is with the desktop/laptop arena. I do not believe in this "Post-PC" era everyone refers too. Computers will simply no longer be tied to your desk. You will compute across many devices. The mouse and keyboard are not going away. Touch is completely awkward at my desk when I have to do real work. I will not settle for reaching out and touching my excel spread sheets, I won't. The only superior input method to a mouse/keyboard in this arena would be brain implants/mind control. We are long way from that. Microsoft needs to banish Metro from the desktop right now and give us who know what we are doing our desktop back.

There isn't going to just be one computer type anymore. There is plenty of room for everyone. Consumers and grandma can have their iPads. Those of us who need more will have Windows (OS X) and a traditional computer. It will probably be better for everyone to separate the user bases in the end. Customer service reps will rejoice as people move to the iPad and they no longer have to deal with their screwed up Windows computers. I won't have to be IT support for my entire family because they can't even launch Skype. I have sold them all on iPads and Facetime. Everyone's life will be better. If you think the iPad is the ultimate computing form and that Windows is going way you need to come to your senses.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's not any lower than the Mac vs. PC ads.

I would not buy an iPad. It's simple and great. But it's too simple for me.

I think Microsoft is doing the right thing with tablets and phones. I disagree with Rene. Microsoft still rules enterprise and doing work. There is a whole market of people who may want to ditch their laptop and still be able to do work. The iPad is not going to satisfy these people. Apple has sold lots and lots of iPads. But even more still do not own a tablet as they do not meet everyone's computing needs. These are the people Microsoft must capture. And these ads show them why they can now consider a Windows 8 tablet over the iPad they have spent the past 3 years not buying; myself included.

Where Microsoft is going wrong is with the desktop/laptop arena. I do not believe in this "Post-PC" era everyone refers too. Computers will simply no longer be tied to your desk. You will compute across many devices. The mouse and keyboard are not going away. Touch is completely awkward at my desk when I have to do real work. I will not settle for reaching out and touching my excel spread sheets, I won't. The only superior input method to a mouse/keyboard in this arena would be brain implants/mind control. We are long way from that. Microsoft needs to banish Metro from the desktop right now and give us who know what we are doing our desktop back.

There isn't going to just be one computer type anymore. There is plenty of room for everyone. Consumers and grandma can have their iPads. Those of us who need more will have Windows (OS X) and a traditional computer. It will probably be better for everyone to separate the user bases in the end. Customer service reps will rejoice as people move to the iPad and they no longer have to deal with their screwed up Windows computers. I won't have to be IT support for my entire family because they can't even launch Skype. I have sold them all on iPads and Facetime. Everyone's life will be better. If you think the iPad is the ultimate computing form and that Windows is going way you need to come to your senses.

I'm sorry but I own a Surface tablet and it is a big disappointment. The ads are highlighting Windows not the hardware. So most people watching will assume it's a surface. The multi-tasking and office they talk about well the whole experience is a frustrating one. I'm not saying the iPad is the solution I'm just saying I rather use my laptop at work and my iPad when I need a tablet. This is coming from a 10+ year Windows user.

Curtieson

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but I own a Surface tablet and it is a big disappointment. The ads are highlighting Windows not the hardware. So most people watching will assume it's a surface. The multi-tasking and office they talk about well the whole experience is a frustrating one. I'm not saying the iPad is the solution I'm just saying I rather use my laptop at work and my iPad when I need a tablet. This is coming from a 10+ year Windows user.

Your paragraphs get a little hard to read, I don't know why... Maybe you were just on some strong coffee when typing them up and couldn't take a thought pause, haha.

Anyway...the reason MS changed around their entire OS isn't because they are trying to stay ahead of the curve. You can't fully prosper by never taking a chance. And you are completely wrong when you say "touch on a computer is not here yet", and I mean COMPLETELY wrong. Almost "the world is flat" wrong. Touch computing "is here" when the Hardware Costs make it accessible (you can get items for a couple hundred bucks), when the knowledge of the typical user allows it (nearly all computer users have at least witnessed a touchscreen phone in action) and then finally the software makes it all possible. Everything is in place for it to work, and it works well. It is here.

I disagree with Rene in the customers do not want a laptop experience on a tablet. I currently use a Windows 8 laptop/tablet and it is heaps better than the traditional tablet I had before. SOO much was restricted on the tablet by various companies...it was top of the line but left me wanting more constantly.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I think the windows RT tablets are a good starting point to the tablet replacing computer world we will be in within the coming years.

As of right now I don't feel a tablet could replace my everyday computer. If it were say a ipad then it would be an ipad for mobile travel but once its paired with a keyboard/mouse and a dock it instantlychanges from ios to osx. Right now that's what I myself would need for it to replace an actual laptop or desktop.

With the 2 different worlds out there between tablets and computers, microsoft is swimming against the tide. I feel with them loading up their tablets and computers with the similar UI is going to change the way we use tablets in the future. They will catch flack for it and people will have a love/hate relationship with it but to be honest I believe it is a step in the right direction (no matter how buggy w8 is)

This kind of bashing goes on in every company and as rene said it happened with the windows vs pc ones. So to hate on the commercial because its a stretch of reality is simply you being a hypocrite. If your favorite company did it you would applaud them.

Sent from my game boy color

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I find the Surface Pro a very compelling product. RIght now I don?t have a tablet. I had an iPad, but sold it and ended up buying a MacBook Air. Now, I needed computer power (in terms of software) and ultra portability (I bought an 11 inch). My heart was set on a Surface Pro which for the same price as my Air would have given me the best of two worlds, soft of at least, as it wouldn?t have given me the battery life of the iPad. In my country, the Surface Pro is not for sale though. So I bought a MacBook Air. It fills the void almost perfectly, but I miss my iPad for relaxing purposes.

But I am not the majority of typical consumers, and neither are most people on Mobile Nations. I am doing a PhD and I do a lot of typing, a lot of simulations and a lot of multitasking. I wanted the machine that I do that on, the one I take notes, and the one I relax with the be the same. I hope MSFT knows and sees that, if they are catering to my needs or most people on here, they probably wouldn?t have great market success.

Last weekend we bought an iPad for my mother - in - law. She was ecstatic. She just needs it for Netflix, web browsing, online shopping, the light games, her music, emails, Skype, FaceTime, iMessage etc. You see the point? Now she does a lot of work, but at her desk, with her large monitor. Her iPad is her home device. The thing she picks up in the evening or on the weekend.

The iPad is being used in a lot of industries like aviation and medicine, but they do not represent the bulk of iPad customers. My mother-in-law comes closer to that. My father - in -law now retired has a 2008 MacBook he uses from time to time when he messes with iMovie, but most of his time including his light blogging is done on his iPad.

My wife and my brother use their iPads at work because they don?t need to do extensive typing, but it syncs great with what they do, and they do a lot of conference calls which apparently can be done well with the iPad.

Microsoft is missing the point, and you guys are also missing the point. The Surface is a great computer, but not such a great tablet. It does serious work rather well for its form factor but that is not what most people would have liked it to do well.

If MSFT is trying to get the casual (majority) customer, they have it wrong. If they are trying to get the busy Office using multitasker with the need for portability (like myself) they are on the right track.

Office is the best thing about the Surface but it was is probably used less on a tablet. They ended a commercial showing the person playing on the piano app, that is probably among the things a someone who wants a tablet would probably want it to do. See where the problem is?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Any day, except every day so far that you haven't :p

I deal with windows 8 at work all the time and from what I've seen it is still very laggy and choppy on pc's. I have yet to find out how it runs on an RT tablet though.

Sent from my game boy color

Curtieson

May 31, 2013
Visit site
IMicrosoft is missing the point, and you guys are also missing the point. The Surface is a great computer, but not such a great tablet. It does serious work rather well for its form factor but that is not what most people would have liked it to do well.

I don't get how you are saying that the Surface RT isn't just as good of a consumption device as an iPad....

If you want cheap consumption, you get the Surface RT, need a little bit of typing power? Add the Touch cover, need a lot, add the Type cover.
If you want a semi-powerful but ULTRA portable, you get a Surface Pro...with both added typing options from before.
If you need more power still and can afford to give up portability, you just get a laptop.

Not one device will fit all nooks...you made it sound like that was your point (Macbook Air is a perfect comparison to the Surface Pro) but then you said the RT couldn't be a great consumption device...?

If you want the portability of a Surface RT, power of a Windows 8 desktop, and with the battery life of an iPad...you get a time machine and go 10 years into the future.