MacBook Pro battery capacity question

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I bought an intel MacBook Pro last August (2020). The charge count is 55 now. According to Coconut Battery, the capacity has dropped about 12%.

I couldn't tell you how long the battery really lasts based on the way I use the laptop.

Question: Should I go to apple with this before warranty expires and see what is said? Apple says battery typically should be replaced about 80%, correct? Probably would hit 80% at 100 cycles? Who knows. Isn't the rated cycled count something like 1000 for these Mac's? It somewhat seems there is a problem with the battery and I would not like to avoid using apple care for something that seems like it should be a warranty issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

Just looking for thoughts/opinions on the matter.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Battery degradation will depend on computer use. A heavily used computer’s battery will degrade much faster than a lightly used one.

Also, a fully charged or discharged lithium-ion battery will degrade much faster than one that stays between 50% and 80%.

Apple offers a series of tips for prolonging the battery’s lifespan: https://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

Personally, 55 cycles might be right, but I find that 12% degradation is a little bit high, but all depends on what you do.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I agree. The 55 seems fine. I just didn't expect 12% either. Wasn't really sure what would be somewhat typical at this many cycles. Maybe I'll just make an apt at an apple store and show them and see what is said.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77