Macbook 2010 & Yosemite

freddyk2006

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro with 4GB Ram and i5 processor. It was running fine until I upgraded to mavericks when it first came out and that slowed the machine. I am thinking of upgrading to Yosemite however hesitate that it will slow the machine down more. Want to get feedback and if if it helps performance to upgrade.

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
+1 add more RAM. Also, it's not difficult to upgrade the hard drive to ssd. I did that on our 2010 MBP and it runs much better now.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Adding RAM is what will make or break you. Your i5 will power through Yosemite just fine. If I'm not mistaken you can upgrade your MBP to 16GB @ DDR3 speeds, and the difference will be night and day coming from 4GB.

The only other realistic upgrade to consider would be installing an SDD as your primary boot drive and replacing your SuperDrive with a storage bay to house your existing hard drive for storage purposes. I personally kept the SuperDrive but the SSD made a big difference as well. Between the two my 2011 MBP 13" w/ an i5 runs things perfectly.