Location / traffic notifications missing since upgrading to 6S, how can I get them back?

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Location / traffic notifications missing since upgrading to 6S

We upgraded to the 6S on 12/1. Before that I had a 5S and my wife a 5. On both of our prior devices, and since upgrading to iOS 9 (I think this was a 9 feature?), we would get notifications any time we left somewhere... for example:

• When I left my office, a notification would show up in a banner showing an estimated time home.
  • A less repetitive example - if we left the mall after a movie at a random time, it would also show the same notification (I'm assuming b/c it knew we were in my car).
  • In the morning when I left for work I would get the same notification showing me time to work

Etc... you get the point.

I've ensured all location services are enabled, frequent locations are on, and notifications are on - and they have been since we upgraded. So the new phones have had a chance to see our habits and frequent locations.

I loved that feature... I never did anything, it just enabled on its own and it was handy to say the least. I know it can be mimicked with apps like ETA, but I can't figure out why those stopped. Any help is appreciated!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I just got my 6s at the beginning of January and I remember ensuring all those things were enabled for ios maps. Apple Maps has never worked like that for me (I just moved from Android, and Google Maps always worked like that). I've recently installed the beta of ios 9.3 and that feature still does not work. I checked my settings just now, too.

I'll be watching your thread to see if anyone has an answer. I wish I could of been more helpful!

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Location / traffic notifications missing since upgrading to 6S

I've noticed that when I have an appointment and I pull down the notification tray, it'll tell me I need to leave in x minutes to be in time. Also when I'm away from home and I pull down the the notification shade it'll tell me how long to get home. I don't know how to get it come across the screen though.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

I've noticed that when I have an appointment and I pull down the notification tray, it'll tell me I need to leave in x minutes to be in time. Also when I'm away from home and I pull down the the notification shade it'll tell me how long to get home. I don't know how to get it come across the screen though.

I remember that - ours used to show that as well, but shows nothing now. So it must be linked to that widget in some way...

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I remember that - ours used to show that as well, but shows nothing now. So it must be linked to that widget in some way...
Not sure. I'll check mine out see if there's a setting or something I set up.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
So a quick update. I change carriers a lot to test different things. When this problem first came up, we were on Verizon after having moved from Cricket. Recently, we made the switch from Verizon back to Cricket and AT&T and then one line back again to Verizon (long story). Using the exact same phones (my 5S and 6S), the traffic notifications came back - but it wasn't until after we had switched away from Verizon onto AT&T/Cricket. They popped up religiously just like I described in the OP while we were with AT&T/Cricket (two lines, one on AT&T, one on Cricket, for clarification).

Guess what happened on my one line that moved back to Verizon - the notifications stopped. Our other lines (the Cricket/AT&T ones) continue to receive them, but our Verizon line stopped, no matter which phone I put the sim in.

It seems clear to me now the problem is Verizon. The only conclusion I can come to is that Verizon has some sort of location flag on the back-end that prevents this from working properly. I know on Android devices there is a Verizon specific location app, so it wouldn't surprise me if Verizon has some sort of proprietary location thing going on (for lack of a more official term). Anyway, just FYI - I know that all seems weird, but there was clear delineation in the testing, and all else was equal.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It seems clear to me now the problem is Verizon.

I have the same issue and I've never been on the Verizon network. I'm with Straight Talk on the AT&T network. It worked fine on my Android devices. Never had an issue. It still works fine today on my fiance's Android. I switched to iPhone (same carrier, same network) and it hasn't worked for me since. I recently uninstalled Google Maps.. no use for it any more.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon and the feature works :)

Do you have notifications enabled for maps? Also frequent locations tend to take a while to populate and settle. So on a new phone it may take a while to do so. Also do you have a "home" and "work" address set up in your contacts? Also, in addition to Frequent Locations being turned on, make sure Location Based Alerts is on. Both are on the same panel of settings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

That should have nothing to do with Verizon or any carrier.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I remember when the feature first came out, people were clamoring to get it to work. Took a bit before the data populated the way it needed to in order to start.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I remember when the feature first came out, people were clamoring to get it to work. Took a bit before the data populated the way it needed to in order to start.

But that's GPS and maps. It's not a Carrier feature.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue and I've never been on the Verizon network. I'm with Straight Talk on the AT&T network. It worked fine on my Android devices. Never had an issue. It still works fine today on my fiance's Android. I switched to iPhone (same carrier, same network) and it hasn't worked for me since. I recently uninstalled Google Maps.. no use for it any more.

Android and iOS use completely different systems for this, so I'm not sure if that correlates to this issue.

I have Verizon and the feature works :)

Do you have notifications enabled for maps? Also frequent locations tend to take a while to populate and settle. So on a new phone it may take a while to do so. Also do you have a "home" and "work" address set up in your contacts? Also, in addition to Frequent Locations being turned on, make sure Location Based Alerts is on. Both are on the same panel of settings.

Well I'm glad to know it *can* work on Verizon. And yes to your questions. I didn't specify each one in the OP, but everything that needs to be on is on. Like I said above, literally the only thing that's changed is the SIM card in my recent attempts to get it working.

I agree completely but based on everything I've done I can't figure out another reason for it to stop working.

Carriers do have their own location services, I know that much. But I agree that should be irrelevant.

And to one of the other questions, it's had more than enough time to get my frequent locations down.

Thanks for the responses!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Android and iOS use completely different systems for this, so I'm not sure if that correlates to this issue.

It matters not that they're on two different OSs because the outcome should be exactly the same regardless. This tells me that something is wrong with the iOS version of the app, hence the comparison. Carrier network has nothing to do with this, and if you feel that strongly that it does then the Verizon forums would be better suited for you to deal with this issue. Of course, they're going to send you to the Google iOS apps developer team which is where the issue lies anyway.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It matters not that they're on two different OSs because the outcome should be exactly the same regardless. This tells me that something is wrong with the iOS version of the app, hence the comparison. Carrier network has nothing to do with this, and if you feel that strongly that it does then the Verizon forums would be better suited for you to deal with this issue. Of course, they're going to send you to the Google iOS apps developer team which is where the issue lies anyway.

I don't think it's the google app that they're talking about, but rather iOS maps, frequent locations, etc. iOS won't pull from Google for the alerts in question. :)

Another thought is to go to Maps and make sure "show traffic" is enabled. May not be the issue but at least you can have it pull in traffic info.

Image1457814085.520606.jpg

stayawayfromthey

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed that this doesn't really work for me either (also on Verizon). A few days ago, I did randomly get a time estimate notification as to how long it would take to go home, but I didn't understand why I got the notification then instead of times when I usually go home from work or something. I have location, frequent locations, notifications, and all that jazz enabled too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiadaHuerta