Location Based Reminders?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the idea of location based reminders is cool, but I am afraid to set one for fear of draining my battery. If I set a location based reminder, will my iPhone 4S be constantly checking my location to see if I have arrived? I would like to set reminders for when I'm on vacation this summer, but not if my phone will be checking all day to see if I'm in New Jersey yet.

Note: I just switched from a Palm Pre, so I am probably more battery conscious than most users, since the Pre barely lasted 8 hours on standby. If you ever used it for anything, you had better have spare batteries in you pocket!

spinecho

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use location based reminders all the time and I have not experienced any significant battery drainage out of the norm. You should give it a shot.

Reactions: jkeitz

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I use location based reminders all the time and I have not experienced any significant battery drainage out of the norm. You should give it a shot.

I will try, but I am still curious, how does it do this without significant battery drain? If I left TeleNav running for a couple of hours, it will end my battery. How can it know where I am in order to remind me of something without constantly pinging my location?

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I haven't noticed a drain. Twice a week when I get home from work, I get a little reminder to take out the garbage. Since the 4s launch. (before then I'd remember to take out the garbage the next morning when I heard the truck coming up the street.)

Fredneck

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried it for a couple of days and found it to have a very noticable affect on my battery life. It didn't kill my phone but probably took it down an extra 20% for the day.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Location based reminders are not supported with exchange servers if I'm not mistaken.

As far as battery drain, I may notice a 1-2% drop within 45min-60min of leaving the location based reminder on. Also make sure that WiFi is enabled since it helps with the accuracy. I've tested this by turning off WiFi and I might get notified 1-2 miles away from the location set as "leaving" causing it to trigger later than I would like.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nethtanyang