Less pre-orders or more inventory?

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
It appears there is either less interest in the new iPhones, or more inventory available. Most models still show a 9/21 shipping date, almost 20 hours after preorders went live. Personally, I’m hoping that the price is a factor, so Apple can see that their devices are becoming too expensive. Even if they bumped each base model to 128GB, that would be much more justifiable.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's also possible that suppliers have improved their output and thus have allowed Apple to be able to meet its shipping schedule. Still, it's hard to say at this point. I do find your question interesting, especially since Apple has been blasted the past few years for not having enough supply to meet customers' shipping expectations.

Last edited:

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think price is a factor, the galaxy note 9 came in around $1200 but you didn’t see the outrage in the news about how expensive it was. The way I look at it the more people are upset at how much something costs, the more likely it is, it’s because they want to buy it.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think price is a factor, the galaxy note 9 came in around $1200 but you didn’t see the outrage in the news about how expensive it was. The way I look at it the more people are upset at how much something costs, the more likely it is, it’s because they want to buy it.
Yeah but the Note 9 is more justifiable when it comes to features for the price. Don't get me wrong it's still an expensive device, I have one and also pre-ordered a Max 512 but I feel like I get more for my money out of the Note 9 512 @ 1250 vs the Max 512 @ 1450. But it's all subjective to what works best for the end user.

To the OP the way I see it is the average customer is probably waiting for the XR instead so there's not as many people going for the more premium XS line. Also, many people also don't want to let go of Touch ID so their probably holding off to see if Apple does come out with an in display Touch ID.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

The Note 9 comes with base storage of 128GB with a microSD slot that can hold microSD cards up to 512GB, bringing the potential storage of the base Note 9 to 640GB. The $1200 Note 9 is the 512GB model with 8GB of RAM. The base model is $1,000.

AS for the OP, I don't see why anyone would want to pay $1,099 for a 64GB phone. No phone with only 64GB of storage should ever cost $1,099, I don't care what company makes it.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
The Note 9 comes with base storage of 128GB with a microSD slot that can hold microSD cards up to 512GB, bringing the potential storage of the base Note 9 to 640GB. The $1200 Note 9 is the 512GB model with 8GB of RAM. The base model is $1,000.

AS for the OP, I don't see why anyone would want to pay $1,099 for a 64GB phone. No phone with only 64GB of storage should ever cost $1,099, I don't care what company makes it.

I went with the 64GB for $1,099. I keep everything in the cloud and stream music - currently only using 22GB on my iPhone X. No matter how I look at the “value,” it still doesn’t make sense for me to pay for storage I won’t use. Do I think it’s overpriced? Absolutely. But I wanted the phone and didn’t want to pay even more for storage I can do without.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The XR looks cool, and I would like the Red or Blue. However that being said I did not want to wait, and I have not had an OLED phone before, as I went with the iPhone So8+ last year.

Decided to bite the bullet and go with the XsMax Sim Free and give it a shot. My 2-cents is that if the XR came out exactly the same as the Xs and Xs Max, then XR would be the runaway seller. They obviously timed it on purpose to sell the higher ticket item.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

The 128GB Note 9 is $999.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but the Note 9 is more justifiable when it comes to features for the price. Don't get me wrong it's still an expensive device, I have one and also pre-ordered a Max 512 but I feel like I get more for my money out of the Note 9 512 @ 1250 vs the Max 512 @ 1450. But it's all subjective to what works best for the end user.

To the OP the way I see it is the average customer is probably waiting for the XR instead so there's not as many people going for the more premium XS line. Also, many people also don't want to let go of Touch ID so their probably holding off to see if Apple does come out with an in display Touch ID.

Not really my guy, if you look at the note 8 to the note 9 the difference a larger storage option, and bluetooth spen outside of that they rearranged the camera and finger print scanner and upped some cores. So folks complain to apple about the X going to the Xs and Xs Max yep you are getting speck upgrades and a larger option and uncompromised meaning no more diff from the regular to the max or old regular and plus models now they are the same. Anyway have a good one .

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the XS Max last night on the Verizon website and I won’t get it until October 3!! i’m hoping it comes sooner obviously.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Not really my guy, if you look at the note 8 to the note 9 the difference a larger storage option, and bluetooth spen outside of that they rearranged the camera and finger print scanner and upped some cores. So folks complain to apple about the X going to the Xs and Xs Max yep you are getting speck upgrades and a larger option and uncompromised meaning no more diff from the regular to the max or old regular and plus models now they are the same. Anyway have a good one .
No my guy maybe you should see the comment I was responding to as it was referring mainly on price of the device and not the differences between the Note 8.

Oh and since you mention the differences between last year's Note 8 vs the Note 9 maybe you shouldn't comment about something that you never had any hands on use with. I have all the devices and people are right, the upgrades you get from the X vs XS are very minor compared to what you get going from the Note 8 to Note 9. Even with software features. Aside fron your usual yearly spec bump the only new feature the XS brings over the X is the adjustable Bokeh, which is not a big deal as you've been able to do this with 3rd party apps. So I still stand by my original comment that I still get more value for the price of the Note 9.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple has always weighted the inventory on the each storage and color option based on what they feel would be a bigger draw. Since they are now making it 64GB, 256, 512GB they also have 30 days between this phone shipping and the XR shipping so they may have calculated what they anticipate will be the demand for the new phone.

I just checked Gold 51412GB XS Max and its showing Oct 1-8 for shipment, not that bad and some options can be picked up in store on 9-21. I only found T-Mo was not available for pickup in my market. But the others were including SIM Free, that to me is a surprise and some will save lots of inventory and some will say weaker demand as others wait for the XR to ship in a month. Either way when was the last time you could walk into the Apple store on launch day with out a reservation and pickup the highest capacity, let alone SIM Free?

May 6, 2018
Visit site
There is still all iPhones in all storage configurations available for delivery and pick up for the max variant. This is pretty unusual especially in Australia. Just checked the App Store. My mate preorder today ( Sunday) at one of our carriers and they had plenty lol.

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
My area in the USA shows no available XS Max for store pickup on 9/21 within 200 miles.

And if you opt for shipping from Apple Store website it looks like all Max versions have estimated delivery well into October. I think the preorders are quite healthy. I’m betting for those who already have an X and prefer that form factor, far fewer have a reason to go to an XS. I think the bulk of the preorder activity revolves around the Max.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
All the iPhone XS Max storage configurations in all colors for Verizon have shipping dates between October 1 - 8 in my area. Same for all storage options and all colors for the iPhone XS in my area.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz