Is there a way to watch .avi's on iPhone

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
You need to convert them using a program like Handbrake (free).

AVI containers aren't used by the iPhone (it favors MP4/H.264) and WMV's are proprietary to Microsoft.

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Another one that is free, and works well is Quick Media Converter. I've used it to convert alot of my camera videos, and then synced it to my iPhone.

Jessi#IM

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
You need to use an iPhone video converter to help you convert these formats to iPhone format first. I've used Handbrake and it works fine. More importantly, it's free. Simply download it from its official site.
Enjoy!

mbartel500

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Tried to use handbrake....never could get it to work. All it would do is write a .STACKDUMP file to my output folder. I tried it on several small .wmv files to convert them to .mp4. Used several different presets, but got the same result:(

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to watch .avi's or .wmv's on the iPhone?
AVI a acronym formed from Audio Video Interleave, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows technology. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback. Like the DVD video format, AVI files support multiple streaming audio and video, and most of MAC or iPad users may have troubles with playing AVI videos on their iTunes, iPad or iPhone, bcz it's not supported by iphone.
WMV is a compressed video compression format for several proprietary codecs developed by Microsoft.
to watch the avi or wmv files on Iphone, you need to convert them to the iphone or iTunes compatible formats, here I recommend ifunia iphone video converter to you, it's a profesional iphone converter, I used it long time, and looks like it updated for iPhone 4 this days too.