Is the upgrade to iPhone 8 worth it, coming from a mid-range Android phone

nicolasmart

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
Just 2 years ago, I was using Windows 10 Mobile. I absolutely loved it. With the time though, I saw that even me - a person who mainly checks their e-mail on a phone, plays light games and uses whatever the Windows Store can offer, can't deal with the so popular "app-gap".

I have played A LOT with Windows Phones, I've used different hacks (a.k.a. after-market add-ons), but I needed to do the switch to Android.

I really liked the Moto G³ and so a year and a half ago, I just got it. I really loved it but Nougat appeared. My phone didn't receive the update - that was a shame. I unlocked its bootloader and flashed some Custom ROMs. I love playing with Custom ROMs! I'm even using pureNexus right now. But my phone is getting kinda obsolete by now. The battery is AWFUL. I can't even get throughout a day. And I am keeping it all-day on battery saver. It's too late now to say it's defective - warranty is over.

So let me pose this question - as a developer, I would like to get an iOS device to develop on, is it worth it to get an iPhone 8? Keep in mind I'm coming from that Moto G³. The iPhone 8 here costs nearly 4.5 TIMES as the Moto G³. I don't want to sit 9 years with the iPhone 8, do I? I'm also afraid to get a 7, because it costs 3.5 times more than the Moto G³ and I know it's going to be dropped from software support a year earlier than the 8. Also, keep in mind I'm going to get a new phone the coming summer.

I'm going to wait for your answers below.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you’re gonna wait 8-9 months to get a new phone, I’d get an 8 Plus by then. The prices will have dropped at that time and you’d get a fairly new device.

nicolasmart

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I don't really plan on getting an 8+. I don't capture a lot of photos and I mainly want to buy the phone because of the iOS experience. The 8+ is going to be more expensive still and it still is going to get the same software support range.

I just ask you is it worth it to buy an iPhone 8, when I'm using a mid-range device. I don't play 3D intensive games or stuff like that. I need to develop on iOS and I just want to feel this experience. But is it worth it for that much more money.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't really plan on getting an 8+. I don't capture a lot of photos and I mainly want to buy the phone because of the iOS experience. The 8+ is going to be more expensive still and it still is going to get the same software support range.

I just ask you is it worth it to buy an iPhone 8, when I'm using a mid-range device. I don't play 3D intensive games or stuff like that. I need to develop on iOS and I just want to feel this experience. But is it worth it for that much more money.

If all you’re trying to do is experience iOS then I’d go with an iPhone 7. It’s less expensive and you’re not utilizing the things that separate it from the 8. Both devices are likely to receive software updates for the next 3+ years (iOS 11 still supports iPhone 5s, three generations behind the 7).

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
To answer your question, yes it's worth the upgrade I think. If you are going to wait then wait and see what's available nine months from now, maybe pick up a gentle used 8 for half the price.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

You said you were a developer and my answer was based on that factor.
The iPhone 7 Plus has a larger screen, better battery life and more RAM memory. As developer you would benefit from those extras.

If money is your biggest factor in deciding, then by all means, go for an iPhone 7.
Like others said, you will have an amazing device and experience nonetheless.

nicolasmart

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I think that iPhone 8>7+

The better software support on the 8, the new A11 Bionic chip and the wireless charging make it what it is. The price of the 7 isn't much lower, when obviously you get much more with the 8.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think that anybody who changes from anything Android to anything Apple is making the right move. I've been WP and Android for years until I bought the iPhone 7+. Like it so much I just ordered the X. Have a nice day.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
If you plan to make money on developing for iOS, I would recommend the X because it is going to be the future layout of the screen and so it is the most important device to support over the next few years. If that will not justify the price I would get a used 7 or wait for what happens next year. If X is the future that makes it into all devices next year, the 8 will be quickly dated and you will need to develop to support the new form-factor. What types of apps are you planning to write?

nicolasmart

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I know but I don't think I really need it. I don't even know somebody who "needs it". After all, I need an iPhone to see the proprietary APIs in the apps which are just not allowed in the Xcode Simulator. App layout on different devices can easily be seen in the simulator.

I wanted an iOS device from a long time to test Apple's ecosystem and to develop apps on. An iPad isn't worth it since I rarely use tablets. I decided the iPhone 8 is my best move.

So let me ask you another question, iPhone 8 owners - how's your battery life?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien