Is iOS falling behind?

k4ever

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
What iMessage Group Messaging bug are you referencing, by chance? I've got a couple group chats with non-iPhone users and I don't experience any issues. I'm curious as to what bugs may be out there.

I agree with your point about iCloud. Apple could really do well to focus on that.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy this week. The "bug" only effects users who migrate from an iPhone to an Android phone. If I am not mistaken, iMessage defaults to using your Apple user name instead of your cellphone number, so when you move your SIM card from an iPhone to an Android phone, group messages sent from iMessage can no longer find your cellphone. What you end up having to do is have your friends and family delete the older group messages with you in them and start a new group message with your cellphone number instead.

There was also an older issue with iMessage hijacking your cellphone number altogether when moving from an iPhone to Android. If I remember correctly, you just needed to disable/unregister iMessage prior to switching to Android. Here is a story on that:

DailyTech - Apple Finally Releases Tool to Address iMessage "Hijacking" for Former iPhone Users

k4ever

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Android as my main OS for years, and I've used IOS a few times also, currently my main phone is an Iphone 7, and while there are areas where it's maybe even superior, there are plenty of other where it's has definately fallen behind, some of them are because of Apple's stubbornnes to let other apps do what their apps do, I'd love to be able to set which app I want to use as predetermined, and other are just better implemented on Android, for example battery consumption information, or more intuitive menus, i.e. if you want to acces Wi-Fi settings from home screen, just hold the switch on the quick access bar and there you go, no need to access configuration, and then Wi-Fi, same for bluetooth, screen options, and all other options. Other thing is the actual multitasking, i.e. there's no need to have location services activated to upload photos to Google Photos, nor have the app running. On a personal oppinion, I like how Android handles notifications better. Lack of NFC. Very little to none customization, I've found some apps or games that you can play on all Android devices that are Ipad-only on IOS. I like it better if I can see my files and folders and not just all my content in different apps. Screen resolution is really far behind on regular Iphone 7. Sometimes I miss the "back" button on the screen or next to the home button.

Battery life should really improve! I had a Xiomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Almost 2.5 times battery capacity than Iphone 7) and I would get to the end of the day with 50/40% battery left, heavy use, even gaming for 1 or 2 hours (pokemon go / space marshalls 2 / the banner saga 1 and 2)

On the other hand, IOS runs really smooth, with almost no delay, and the build quality of all Iphones is outstanding, fingerprint reader usually works better on IOS, Apps and games library is so much better, even if it is easier to explore on Android as you can do it from the browser, without any Itunes install needed nor anything, but just the quality of the library is better, and mostly everything gets to IOS first, I do miss Humble Bundle Bundles with games and apps tho.

There aren't many things that you can't really do, but it just feels harder for no reason on IOS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking the Iphone 7, I just know there are some areas where IOS HAS to improve.

Well said!

I think the ongoing assumption with most Apple diehards is that we haven't used an iPhone and are coming down "hard" on iOS because we are Android fanboys. The truth of the matter is that, while iOS is smooth and fluid in some areas, Android is just a lot more flexible. Even though my work iPhone 6 was fast and smooth, it was utterly useless to me because I couldn't configure it like my Android phone to help with my workflow. I was stuck with the way Apple wanted me to do business, which is inadequate for my needs. If iOS were more customizable, and the iPhone's hardware was more future proof and expandable, this conversation would be totally unnecessary. We would still argue over the price, though.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Well said!

I think the ongoing assumption with most Apple diehards is that we haven't used an iPhone and are coming down "hard" on iOS because we are Android fanboys. The truth of the matter is that, while iOS is smooth and fluid in some areas, Android is just a lot more flexible. Even though my work iPhone 6 was fast and smooth, it was utterly useless to me because I couldn't configure it like my Android phone to help with my workflow. I was stuck with the way Apple wanted me to do business, which is inadequate for my needs. If iOS were more customizable, and the iPhone's hardware was more future proof and expandable, this conversation would be totally unnecessary. We would still argue over the price, though.

First, I am curious what workflows wouldn't work? I know little of Android, but I am learning from this thread. I am concerned about some things though.

That flexibility is a liability, and why HummingBad has infected up to %1 of the world population (over 80,000,000 devices as gleamed from spying on C&C servers by CheckPoint). It's also why there is no Google Play Store in China. But yes, it is more flexible, and that can also let you clear out the malware by rooting and reimaging a device (factory reset will reinstall the malware). You can really get under the hood!

My point being that there is a matter of preference. Viticci of MacStories is the first to point out iOS's short comings… because he lives on iOS for 99% of his computing (making podcasts is his last problem point). He does it because he is *more* productive on iOS, and now I have to reach for my iPhone/iPad to do things I can't on my Mac. We have found iOS to be liberating and enabling of better workflows, despite or because of limitations. But I wouldn't expect Viticci's workflows or mine to surplant yours.

Workflow is a self explanatory example of this. Copied is a lesser known one, and is a great example of the limitations of iOS not being a hinderance. It is the best clipboard manager I have ever used, and it's a prime example of the type of software that iOS seemingly should be poor for.

As for future proofing, iPhones get an average or 4-5 years of updates, including security. That is way longer and faster than Android. Google has not committed past two years for the Nexxus line, but I hope they do. Dropping LTS cold would be disheartening.

Again, my point being that iOS being less flexible in some ways does not make it rigid or lacking. I see benefit to the core restrictions; it is a difference of approach, not a weakness. It comes with trade offs, and I favor security (it's my field, actually). My next "laptop" is going to be an iPad. That doesn't make wanting more freedom bad or wrong, but it should not be done in the laissez faire way Android does it. Leave that greener grass on the other side of the lawn.

CheckPoint White Paper: http://blog.checkpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/HummingBad-Research-report_FINAL-62916.pdf

(And that doesn't even account for Shedun, which uses a different C&C server and thus is, by some, considered a different malware, despite similar MOs.)

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Well said!

It's as if Android should be your work phone. IOS requires more screen taps to get the same things done. It kind of slows you down.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77