Is AT&T going to force me to choose a tiered plan in order to get me off of unlimited data?

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I have an unlimited plan. Haven't gotten a new phone since iPhone 5. Went in and bought the 7 plus and my plan stayed the same. The only change to the process is that you don't get a discount on the phone for renewing your contract.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have an unlimited plan. Haven't gotten a new phone since iPhone 5. Went in and bought the 7 plus and my plan stayed the same. The only change to the process is that you don't get a discount on the phone for renewing your contract.

This is what happens. You can keep your plan. But the phone is no longer subsidized. You pay full price. You can do the financing or even get on the Next upgrade cycle. But your monthly bill will go up by what ever amount you finance. So you end up still paying what used to be the subsidy built into your bill AND the full price of the phone.

I decided to just switch to a tiered plan with 30 month financing and my rate plan went down by $10/month. In 24 months I can get a new phone and will not have to pay the remaining 6 payments on my iPhone 7.

michaeljdewilde

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
They won't force you to switch your rate plan, or at least they shouldn't. They may suggest other rate plans based on your usage history but if you are against switching they can not make you. However one thing of note is they only offer Next upgrades therefore you may see a jump on your bill