Is anyone having problems with the USAToday app with iOS 8?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ia anyone having problems with the USAToday app with iOS 8?

I don't use the app so I can't say. The last update was issued in August so maybe an update for iOS 8 is forthcoming soon.

jeffsteiner

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I am...it's slow, and, keeps bumping me out to my home screen. I've tried deleting, then reinstalling the app, to no avail

tvnewsdirector

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Yes terrible problems since download of iOs8. The app crashes, resets, locks. Pretty much unusable

Dean Nakayama

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

The USA app comes up, then freezes, then shuts down and returns to the Home Page. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no luck. Hopefully USA Today is working on the problem.

IrvSp

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

I having UNUSUAL problems with it, yes, I do see what others have reported. Freezing and closing, page scrolling and then freezing, and also page seeming to work, click on a story and it closes.

However I have 'one' strange one I can't figure out? First is that it DOES work (mostly) every evening? During the day, it doesn't (see above paragraph). When I say mostly it is because only the first 2 'tabs', NEWS and SPORTS, works. Try another 'tab', fails like above.

This is on an iPad3, 64GB Wi-Fi model with 13GB's free space. Connects to a Netgear R7000 dual band router. Doesn't matter if on 2.4GHZ or 5Ghz band, results are the same during the day and at night.

Makes absolutely NO sense to me at all? Either this should work or fail all the time I would think?

coolf209

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Having the same problems since installing IOS 8 - Both IPAD 3 and IPAD Air have the same issues.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The developer of USAtoday probably has to update the app to support iOS 8.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

coolf209

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Performance is intermittent today; works well, then freezes and app quits.

Last edited:

paparustyus

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

I am still having above described problems with USA Today on my iPad 2.

Deleted app, hard restart, reinstalled ...... still freezes

PAPercy

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

I am having the same issues including the app only working in the evening. I was able to email the App developer from the app two nights ago and they are aware of the issues and wanted as much information as I could provide about the problems I was seeing. They did not provide a time frame as to when the app would run correctly.

paparustyus

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

PAPercy ... Great News! Pls advise if they communicate further with you or you become aware that they have issued a fix/update. Tks

paparustyus

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

Check USA Today App a short time ago and it appears that there has been a fix ......
Works fine from what I can tell.

CORRECTION !!! It does not work. I was able to get the News Page, but when I scrolled down, it froze then shut down !!!

Sorry for the false good news!!

Last edited:

IrvSp

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Check USA Today App a short time ago and it appears that there has been a fix ......
Works fine from what I can tell.

There is no fix I can see? Check the iTunes for updates as I do NOT see any fix?

I will say this, for me, on an iPad3 it can work sporadically. Sometimes the 'page' that it opens too works (like News), but trying to change it causes the app to close. It appears to work FINE on a friends iPhone6 though?

I wrote to USA Today on the 23rd and got this reply:

=============
Dear xxxx

Thank you for taking the time to write to USA TODAY.

We appreciate the time you took to write to us about the various issues with our app since the iOS 8 release. These are known issues and an update with fixes to these issues is in development.

Our team continues to be hard at work, making sure our app integrates smoothly with iOS 8. Any issues that we find will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks again for your continued support,

Sincerely,

Vemetria T.
USA TODAY
===============

What I can't understand is the occasional working only to not work later? Could it be a back-end problem in which case we'd not know if there was an update or is it an error handling situation that the app handles improperly or doesn't retry?

I guess the real answer here is it works fine for some, randomly for others, and for some, not at all?