iPhone dilemma

KajGuy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so here's the deal.

I really want an iPhone (4, 4S or 5). I'm on a Verizon contract with 1 android and 3 basic phones. Our plan doesn't end until July 2013, but one of our phones is broken, and all of them are pretty old. We wish we could stick with Verizon, but their new Share Everything plan would make us spend a LOT extra yearly. Is there a way we could leave Verizon and go somewhere else without paying the early termination fee? Any advice?

Thanks!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Lemme ask you two questions: one--do you currently have, or even care about texting?

Two--are any of your phones due for an upgrade?

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I do quite a bit of texting. I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I also changed over to Verizon's share everything plan, it saves me about 10-15 bucks per month. I don't know of any way to terminate the contract without paying what you still owe.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
canceling a Verizon contract without ETFs is very difficult... if you want an iPhone without changing your current situation, you'd be better off to buy a Verizon iPhone from a 3rd party source... putting it on your account won't change contract end dates.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If phone are that old one of those lines should have a upgrade

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You're not required to go to the share everything plan. I just added a line to my account today and it was able to be an add on line and pay $30 for 2gb of data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can still get the data plan per line if/when you upgrade. The only issue is family texting as that is part of the plan and not per line, and would require you to switch plans if you wanted it.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

KajGuy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Lemme ask you two questions: one--do you currently have, or even care about texting?

Two--are any of your phones due for an upgrade?

Yep, we currently have unlimited texting, and we use it.
2 of the 4 phones have passed their 2 year agreement. The other 2 end June and July 2013.

Thanks for all the responses!

Wait, are you guys saying that if I buy 3rd party Verizon phones I won't be forced into Share Everything?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep, we currently have unlimited texting, and we use it.
2 of the 4 phones have passed their 2 year agreement. The other 2 end June and July 2013.

Thanks for all the responses!

Wait, are you guys saying that if I buy 3rd party Verizon phones I won't be forced into Share Everything?

They aren't forcing into share everything even with and upgrade. I just got another lone on my account and added just 2Gb of data for that account. You will lose your unlimited data if you have it with an upgrade. I just activated a full retail 5 on my account and was able to keep unlimited data.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
And Not to be too nosy here BUT...
Are you on any sort of data plan right now, or do you all happen to be smartphone hold outs?
The reason I ask is that with 4 devices a share plan would almost always save money. The exception being, of course, those who don't use data...

Another option is that a 4line family such as yourselves is a desirable commodity. If you were to call AT&T and explain your situation about not being happy in Verizon, it is very possible that AT&T will cover your early cancellation fee.
I did this myself once, and a friend of mine switched just a month ago and had his early termination fee paid. CALLING AT&T is the best way to get this accomplished.

KajGuy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
And Not to be too nosy here BUT...
Are you on any sort of data plan right now, or do you all happen to be smartphone hold outs?
The reason I ask is that with 4 devices a share plan would almost always save money. The exception being, of course, those who don't use data...

Another option is that a 4line family such as yourselves is a desirable commodity. If you were to call AT&T and explain your situation about not being happy in Verizon, it is very possible that AT&T will cover your early cancellation fee.
I did this myself once, and a friend of mine switched just a month ago and had his early termination fee paid. CALLING AT&T is the best way to get this accomplished.

The one smartphone is on Unlimited Data, but we don't need to keep that. That's interesting that other carriers would cover our ETF. Never thought of that!

Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone know if Virgin Mobile is any good? They have some super inexpensive plans.