iphone battery.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
what is the first iphone's battery like?
any hints/tips on how to extend the life of the battery?
i was just on a train today and my ipod battery was going ape sh*t, going up and down and on and off.
just mae me wonder...
thanks
-tk

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
go read on Apple and they have a disclaimer section on battery life. Basically, Lithium-Ion batteries (Li-Ion) used on all modern cell phones, laptops, iPods, etc. only have X number of cycles in them. This is just a limitation of current lithium ion battery technology, not some evil plot by Apple. Not offering consumers an easy user battery replacement option IS pathetic money grubbing on their part but that's another topic. Laptop batteries will typically go 12-24 months until they're shot depending how good the cells used are, etc. Li-Ion batteries will die over time, if you use them or not. Surprisingly, the optimum storage for them long term without use is around a 40% charge typically but that's hard to gauge so basically, just accept the fact that you're going to be buying new ones eventually and any Li-Ion battery you currently own WILL stop holding a charge at some point.

To get the most life out of them? Opinions vary but I just use them until they need to be charged, then do so. If I know I'm going to be away from a charger the next day, then I'll charge my current cell completely (BB 8310) and know that it'll go through the entire next day no matter how much I use it. Probably not that helpful but there it is.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
what is the first iphone's battery like?
any hints/tips on how to extend the life of the battery?
i was just on a train today and my ipod battery was going ape sh*t, going up and down and on and off.
just mae me wonder...
thanks
-tk

Really? It was acting funny like that? Did you buy an extended warranty for your phone? If you take it to the Apple store they can fix it for you. You might have got a messed up iPhone.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Opinions vary but I just use them until they need to be charged, then do so. If I know I'm going to be away from a charger the next day, then I'll charge my current cell completely (BB 8310) and know that it'll go through the entire next day no matter how much I use it.

The concept of having to drain a rechargeable battery before recharging it to maintain its life is much more important on NiCd batteries than Li-ion batteries. Regardless of how often you charge the battery, it has a certain number of complete charge cycles that it will be able to maintain a charge. It might have a slight impact if you constantly recharge it after minimal use, but it shouldn't be too great of one.

LOdam7

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I dont trust what most companies say. its usually a lot shorter than the time they advertise. You will find out at launch.

mtsfestivus

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I dont trust what most companies say. its usually a lot shorter than the time they advertise. You will find out at launch.

Can they legally publish false information? Regardless, it seems much improved from the last battery, being that it has the same lifespan on 3G as the old one did on EDGE.

I'm not too worried. It can't be nearly as bad as my Razr...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Let me just say that if you are coming from a HTC device or any windows mobile device for that matter battery life will NOT be a issue for you. Hope that helps some.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Let me just say that if you are coming from a HTC device or any windows mobile device for that matter battery life will NOT be a issue for you. Hope that helps some.

This is one of many reasons I will NEVER use a WinBlowz device again. Had four WinMo phones (3 moto Q's which all died and a T700wx which was a battery guzzling brick). The Treo wouldn't get through an entire day, the Q's would barely IF I wasn't using them heavily. I have yet to run completely dry with my BB 8310. GSM also doesn't guzzle battery like CDMA so that helps too.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
It's a shame that they can't just make it so you can replace the battery more easily

But I guess they love every bit of money they can make...

Well, as I posted previously, Apple is guilty of blantant money grubbing on iPods and iPhones. I'm amazed they haven't tried it with their laptops but no one would buy a laptop without a user-replaceable battery. I'd like to see that happen with the iPhone but it's not and since the Reality Distortion Field has enveloped the general public, we put up with that for some pathetic reason. Show me just ONE other cell phone for sale in the US that does not have a user-replaceable battery. :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm glad there is no replaceable battery... for one thing all of the extended batteries out there that come with a extended battery door are made so poorly... colors never match properly, has a super cheap feel to it, etc...

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I'd really like to hear from someone who carries a spare battery around in their pocket for "emergencies." I know I had one on the Samsung i500, my Blackjack, and then the Curve. I never remember having use it, mostly because the Treo taught me to charge every night (remember, the 600 was not user replaceable). Hopefully, given lithium ion polymer moldability, you can actually get more battery capacity in a small area than a preformed replaceable battery. I know I'd rather carry the charger than the spare. Besides, I've found external battery pack emergency chargers just as useful as any replaceable battery.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
It definitely has cost benefits for Apple, but you could say it's for other reasons. There is the whole design aspect, then the potential damage/lost parts that can happen with removable parts, then the degradation of the brand to even supply replacement parts, and indefinitely supporting devices means less new products and stagnant development. Listen, Apple is probably the most intelligent company I've ever seen. Decisions are made from a macro-perspective where all things are taken into account. Is the bottom line important? Hell yeah! But it's also important for the consumers, in that money going to smart people equates to progress. Smart people create useful things much more than WE, the stupid people, do.

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Usage

Battery life will purely depend on usage of the phone itself, as an example if you are in your home and using your wifi within the home the iPhone you will drain the battery much quicker than if you were using it on the 3G band. Another battery hog are the head phones a user will use with the iPhone, for instance if you are a DJ and using your huge hed phones with the iPhone you will not be listening long.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Well, as I posted previously, Apple is guilty of blantant money grubbing on iPods and iPhones. I'm amazed they haven't tried it with their laptops but no one would buy a laptop without a user-replaceable battery. I'd like to see that happen with the iPhone but it's not and since the Reality Distortion Field has enveloped the general public, we put up with that for some pathetic reason. Show me just ONE other cell phone for sale in the US that does not have a user-replaceable battery. :rolleyes:

How many other cell phones can you plug into any computer and charge it? I like the non-replaceable battery. One less thing to break and worry about.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I'm glad there is no replaceable battery... for one thing all of the extended batteries out there that come with a extended battery door are made so poorly... colors never match properly, has a super cheap feel to it, etc...
But OEM batteries in the original size are indistinguishable from the original that came in the box. It's nice to have the extra battery for all those long airline flights (watching movies, reading ebooks, listening to music) interspersed with quick calls between flights and no time to charge up. Or the visit to seven client sites around town, by metro, with a couple dozen phone calls in the process.

dstrauss said:
I'd really like to hear from someone who carries a spare battery around in their pocket for "emergencies."
All day on the road in DC (by metro, not car, typically) or traveling across the globe to various customer sites, I always carry one extra battery in my briefcase and end up using it 2-3 times every week (more if traveling). Except when calling 911, I don't think you're even in a cell phone "emergency" situation. Cell phones are a nice convenience in my work, but a cell phone with a dead battery is simply a nuisance. :(

We'll see if the iPhone can keep up. Supposedly the 3G has better battery life (in certain, EDGE-only situations). We'll see if iPhone is a convenience or a nuisance in my usage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB