iPhone 6 with expandable memory?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I do love my SD cards for my Android phones. It makes my transition and rolling though models, seamless.

However I'm a tech geek and have screwed up a small ton of cards. For the average user, this fact would be highly unnerving...

Apple is doing the right thing, they just need to up the standard and drop 16GB from the lineup.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Expandable memory via SD card is an obsolete design choice that needs to go. Especially in the premium segment of a market where Apple is currently situated.

Purchasing SD cards, swapping them, opening and closing your card tray, managing types of storage in the OS - they are all parts of a bad and cluncky user experience. It's a chore that shouldn't be brought back to life.

And this is just the consumer-facing disadvantages. Apple would also suffer from such a choice - nobody would be buying the 32gb and 64 gb options. And Apple would be dependent on the quality of SD cards to provide a fluid user experience. let's face it - that should never happen. A 64-bit A7 chip shouldn't be working with a terribly slow cheap low-end SD card.

The whole SD card thing works to cut some cost on the expense of user experience. Apple doesn't ever cut those corners and that is the reason why most of us are buying their products.

Great points.

I always smile when I hear an Android user complaining that their phone corrupted their micro-USB card and they lost all this stuff. I LOL when those same people then complain that the Nexus 5 still has no removable storage.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be a great idea if apple can put expandable memory in their phones but I don't think they would be doing that with the iphone 6 or whatever it will be called

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i don't think so , never happen with apple iPhone :) its really perfect memory slots r there 16 32 64 128 that enough| why make more complexity with SD card!! its really odd

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hate the mounting of the SDcard in my Galaxy S4, which cuts the card out and in, and if I have apps that I run from there it would really troublesome, and I'm trying to cut troublesome from my workflow. No SDcards ever on an iPhone, please...

Hugo_Draxxx

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Nice idea but dreaded the process on the HTC I had years ago. Many fans would love it, but let's face it Apple won't do it. Not their style and could potentially harm/damage devices. Not going to happen and I'm ok with that.

KittyBoy1961

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has expandable memory and bigger screens now. And Apple, in not offering what customers want, is losing customers like a bathtub without a drain plug loses water. Practically everybody I know who used to have an iPhone got tired of tiny screens and memory issues and made the switch. The only reason I haven't is because my other devices are Apple and I worry about hassles with data transference (i.e., my music...). But, my MacBook Pro is old and it's time for an upgrade. Maybe my next laptop won't be a Mac? I don't want to switch but if they make me I won't have a choice.

Sometimes when I hear all this stuff about Apple not wanting to be perceived as following Samsung I'm glad folks at Toshiba never decided to not make bigger tv's because Sony already did. How dumb a business move would THAT be? Apple, LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS or you won't have to worry about them because you won't have any.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I find it interesting that people want expandable memory on the iPhone but at the same time Google wants to get rid of it on android phones...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has expandable memory and bigger screens now. And Apple, in not offering what customers want, is losing customers like a bathtub without a drain plug loses water. Practically everybody I know who used to have an iPhone got tired of tiny screens and memory issues and made the switch. The only reason I haven't is because my other devices are Apple and I worry about hassles with data transference (i.e., my music...). But, my MacBook Pro is old and it's time for an upgrade. Maybe my next laptop won't be a Mac? I don't want to switch but if they make me I won't have a choice.

Sometimes when I hear all this stuff about Apple not wanting to be perceived as following Samsung I'm glad folks at Toshiba never decided to not make bigger tv's because Sony already did. How dumb a business move would THAT be? Apple, LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS or you won't have to worry about them because you won't have any.

Welcome to iMore KiddyBoy

These are some strong comments for your first post and I'm wondering where you polled the Customers you mentioned in your post.

I don't see the bathtub without a plug at all but I'm also not denying your results just don't agree that all it's customers want what you mentioned

Apple has a history of listening to there customers and that's why there in the position they are today

Again Welcome and post often

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why they don't offer a microSD slot, they have a SIM slot but that is what they chose. I think the 16GB needs to be the cheaper phone, 32/64/128GB needs to be the core sizes for the 6/6S series this gives users more options and more space. I got the iPad mini Retina 128GB instead of the lesser storage because it was available. Go big on storage its cheap and they know it.

That said, I think Mophie could stand to make their Mophie Space with a MicroSD slot instead of offering a low 16/32GB option.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
People forget Apple is even offering 8 GB 4S' and before that the 8 GB 4's. If Apple was to cut low memory iPhones, they should drop the 8 GB ones and offer the 16 as a cheap version.

So, that's why I don't think apple will drop the 16GB in the near future.

For those with space need, Apple already offers iTunes Match

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, 8GB phones as the cheap entry in emerging markets is a joke. Flash memory is cheap and its not like it costs Apple more to push out the 2 year old phone the R&D was paid for long ago and the parts are only getting cheaper. Its time to move all phones to the Lightning port and make things uniform.

Plus 16 should be the cheap base model with 32/64/128GB as the premium models. Apples are going to get larger due and so will photo's. iCloud storage is a joke with 5GB free and a 50GB max, really.

mellee52

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
While a few here have mentioned data loss with clunky sd cards, not one has mentioned the excruitiating feeling of loosing 2000+ photos on an iphone you've dropped in coffee.