iPad isn't updating from Public Beta to Final Release

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem when you are using the public beta for iOS 11 & you try to update to the final release, but it just appears to hang there?

It just sits there stating, "Update Requested..." Would it be because everyone is trying to download the release?

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem when you are using the public beta for iOS 11 & you try to update to the final release, but it just appears to hang there?

It just sits there stating, "Update Requested..." Would it be because everyone is trying to download the release?

You can't update to what you already have.. GM = final release. If you want off the beta program, that's different, delete your profile.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@Phill_UK is exactly right. If you’re running the GM, you’re running the official release. If for some reason you want to install the official update, put your device in DFU mode and then connect it to iTunes. Note: be sure to create a backup first because the phone will be wiped of all it data.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
This might be a dumb question, but how can I tell I'm on the final build? When there's no update available it usually states it's up to date, not update requested.

Thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This might be a dumb question, but how can I tell I'm on the final build? When there's no update available it usually states it's up to date, not update requested.

Thanks

If you’re getting a message stating you’re up to date then you’re good to go. Both betas are currently running iOS 11 GMs.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not stating up to date

Oh, I misread your last post. Have you tried doing a hard reset and checking again? Reset your device by holding the power button and home button down (or volume down button on iPhone 7/7+) simultaneously until you see the Apple boot logo.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
OK, today I'm going to start the process of restoring my iPad from a previous archive that created was made before I went to the iOS Beta. I'm confused to one thing in particular....
Before I installed the iOS 11 Beta (Awhile back) I performed an Archive on iTunes on my Mac. Since then I have synced by iPad to iTunes from time to time. I have told it to back up it up here & there. My concern is this...Since I've told it to back up instead of sync since the time I created an archive, does that mean my archive now is iOS 11 instead of when I originally created the archive? I don't want to go thru the process of restoring from the archive, expecting it to go back to iOS 10 & I find out it just goes back to the last version I selected back up.

I was trying to word this as short as possible without confusing anyone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, today I'm going to start the process of restoring my iPad from a previous archive that created was made before I went to the iOS Beta. I'm confused to one thing in particular....
Before I installed the iOS 11 Beta (Awhile back) I performed an Archive on iTunes on my Mac. Since then I have synced by iPad to iTunes from time to time. I have told it to back up it up here & there. My concern is this...Since I've told it to back up instead of sync since the time I created an archive, does that mean my archive now is iOS 11 instead of when I originally created the archive? I don't want to go thru the process of restoring from the archive, expecting it to go back to iOS 10 & I find out it just goes back to the last version I selected back up.

I was trying to word this as short as possible without confusing anyone.

Your data and settings you had in iOS would get restored onto your device running iOS 11 - not iOS 10 itself.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks❗
I brought it back to the backup from a little earlier this year and I'm looking at it right now and it states I have iOS 11.0 (15A5370a)

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks❗
I brought it back to the backup from a little earlier this year and I'm looking at it right now and it states I have iOS 11.0 (15A5370a)

15A5370a is only iOS 11 public beta 8, which is still a couple of versions lower than the beta GM and final release build (15A5372)

Last edited:

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Just_Me_D and Phill_UK, you have been very helpful and patient. Thank you.

I just want to get my iPad off of the
beta version of iOS and have the final release of 11. I was concerned that if I stayed on the beta version that I wouldn't get regular updates, but rather beta updates when I don't want betas anymore.

It sounds like if I just update to the newest beta version that it IS the actual final release of the OS. Then I can exit the beta program and will then get regular updates.
I've only really dealt with windows beta programs for OS's in the past, never Apple ones.

I hope I'm understanding it right now. Thanks again for your help.

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just_Me_D and Phill_UK, you have been very helpful and patient. Thank you.

I just want to get my iPad off of the
beta version of iOS and have the final release of 11. I was concerned that if I stayed on the beta version that I wouldn't get regular updates, but rather beta updates when I don't want betas anymore.

It sounds like if I just update to the newest beta version that it IS the actual final release of the OS. Then I can exit the beta program and will then get regular updates.
I've only really dealt with windows beta programs for OS's in the past, never Apple ones.

I hope I'm understanding it right now. Thanks again for your help.

Your best option if you want to exit the beta program would be to try the following:-

Go to Settings > General > Profiles and delete the iOS 11 beta profile.

Then Settings > General > Software Update and you should be offered the latest iOS 11 public release to download.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepghosh2564