Intermittent crackle/pop noise from bottom speaker - usually during Siri/Dictation

littledebbie

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am clinically diagnosed with OCD and I struggle a lot with imperfections with my iPhone unless others share the same imperfections...in that event, I am able to conclude it's okay because it's probably just a design flaw or software bug.

If you could read the issue I'm having below and try to duplicate it, I would appreciate the results. Or, if you've experienced something similar, please let me know as well.

I have a launch day iPhone 6 and sometimes the bottom speaker will crackle when playing a sound, almost as if it's cutting out....it's very faint...but still noticeable. It doesn't happen a lot, but frequent enough to be annoying. Actually...it mainly happens with Siri/Dictation....but also just happened to me today in the Messages app. There were a few iMessage send/receiving sounds trying to play at the same time I think..overlapping..and I heard the crackle as a result.

If you watch this video, you can hear the exact noise I am describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAd8wnt4uvU

Could you guys try the following? With your iPhone 6 or 6 plus, hold down the home button to activate Siri, and then cancel Siri. During the cancellation sound effect, listen for a little crackle or pop coming from the bottom speaker. It doesn't happen all the time...in fact a majority of times it doesn't happen...but I'm hoping it's not a sign of the phone's speaker going.

Try each of those things a good 20 to 30 times throughout the day and see if you hear that popping sound.

I ended up getting my iPhone 6 replaced last weekend (they originally were going to replace the speaker, but I opted for a new phone). According to Chipmunk, my replacement iPhone 6 was made in April of this year.

Buuuttt.....the issue still occurs. So, I'm wondering if it's just a normal design flaw, or if I somehow...(what are the odds) got another model, made months and months later..that has the same, unique-to-me issue.

Thanks for your help with this. I appreciate the help regarding this.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Can't replicate... If you take the device to an Apple GeniusBar and can replicate for them, they'll let you know what your options are.

Last edited:

littledebbie

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for the responses. I appreciate it and I'm sorry to sound annoying or paranoid.

I actually went to the Apple Store as I set up a Genius Bar appointment. As I was waiting, I tested out the Apple demo iPhone 6's and I could replicate the issue on at least 3 of the 5 I tested. I asked an employee about it and he too heard it. He told me not to worry about it as it's probably just the audio cutting out abruptly and not actually the speaker malfunctioning.

So, I canceled my appointment and I'll live with it.

Thanks for your responses. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

Roger Skebelsky

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello and yes i can replicate this sound on my iPhone 6. I have had the phone for about 8-9 months, I am currently running iOS 8.3 and yes after using voice dictation in iMessage i will be getting those clicking sounds randomly about every 4 to 5 times time like you demonstrated in your video. Also I have notice when i am using voice command for messaging and end a sentence by saying period or comma it does not show the punctuation but rather it will spell comma or period ect which is also very annoying. When I brought my phone to the Apple Store about this matter I tried to demonstrate it to the salesperson but being so loud in the store if was difficult to hear the random clicking. However without conviction I just tried it in the confines of my home and I can clearly hear it clicking as if the cone of the speaker is broken or something. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of iPhone 6 and 6plus owners.

Regards
Roger Skebelsky

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77