iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's Express Lane & Genius)

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's Express Lane & Genius)

So this is the scenario. Phones 1 & 2 have recently switched back to iPhone after briefly switching to Android (iPhone -> Android (and deactivated iMessage) -> iPhone). Phone 3 has been a loyal iPhone user the whole time. Phones 1 & 2 have no problem sending iMessage to Phone 3, and always works. When iPhone 3 responds to either phone it comes back as an SMS. I've tried:

- Restarting iMessage service by logging completely out and restarting
- Removed all devices from supportprofile.apple.com and restarted
- Logged out of iMessage on all other devices
- If iMessage is initiated by iPad (WiFi only), the conversation is iMessage for a short bit, before converting back to SMS

Other Notes
- Phone 2 was a restore of the previous iPhone 4s (currently iPhone 5s)
- Phone 1 was setup as a whole new device, no restore done
- All new conversations are being started as from the phone number, not from an email address

Any help from the community would be very appreciated here!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's Express Lane & Geni

Reset network settings on iPhone 3...sometimes this will kick the connection in the **** and get it going. If that doesn't work...Restore iPhone 3 in iTunes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's ...

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my daughter's new iPhone - the first one that she has purchased for herself as a new adult. If I send an iMessage to her Apple ID, it goes through as an iMessage, but if I send it to her phone number it goes through as an SMS message. Yet, when she replies to either, the reply is an iMessage. For some reason, I think her phone number is not registering or has not been selected to send or receive iMessages. I will have to confirm it when I see her and actually look at her phone.

Last edited:

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's ...

One other note, both Phone 1 & Phone 2 switched carriers. Phone 1 was w/ VZW, Phone 2 was with Sprint. We are now both with T-Mobile. The Android phones were both on the previous carrier.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's Express Lane & Geni

More than likely, a reboot or a settings change of some sort on one of the devices will take care of the issue. Heck, it may even iron itself out...:)

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: iMessage from others coming over as SMS instead of iMessage (STUMPED Apple's ...

OK, the escalation seemed to help out quite a bit. After resetting network connections on both ends it seems to work at this point. I had also reset my network connections before, and had the certificate revoked within iMessage for my account - only Apple can do that. Very strange that I have to reset network settings on a device that isn't new, but it worked. Now it will be time to try to convince co-workers to do the same (not phone 3, but all have a similar issue).

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Happy to hear everything worked out for you...Now 'D has to deal with his new legal daughters phone, Can't wait to see the outcome of this one. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Happy to hear everything worked out for you...Now 'D has to deal with his new legal daughters phone, Can't wait to see the outcome of this one. :)

(laughing)…Heck, the first thing I'm going to do is reboot her phone…:)….If that doesn't take care of it, then I'll probably sign her out of iMessage & FaceTime and then sign back in so that her phone number will be shown as an option to send & receive iMessage. If that fails, I will then reset the network settings. I'm sure one of the first two will take care of it though.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad you got it worked it. I had to reset the network settings on my daughters phone a few weeks ago. It solved her problem.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

(laughing)…Heck, the first thing I'm going to do is reboot her phone…:)….If that doesn't take care of it, then I'll probably sign her out of iMessage & FaceTime and then sign back in so that her phone number will be shown as an option to send & receive iMessage. If that fails, I will then reset the network settings. I'm sure one of the first two will take care of it though.

Good luck with that and that is if you can get it away from her ( Laughing back)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad you got it worked it. I had to reset the network settings on my daughters phone a few weeks ago. It solved her problem.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
That was what I was going to say Pr1nce and you remember how much time you and I spent on that and all it took was reset Network Settings! smh.:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB