If i "Restore from backup" (on my computer) will all my music be restored exactly?

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3 day old Sprint 64 GB iphone4s. I Woke up and all 40gbs of my music was deleted.

My question: If i use "Restore from backup" (on my computer) will all my music be restored exactly as it was before? FYI: i have too much music to just hit sync.

backround and info:
I plugged it into my desktop an through itunes verified it was all deleted. I have all my music (130 GBs) saved on an external drive so it's safe. But because of the sized differences i can't just sync. I originally went song by song and album by album picking and choosing individual tracks. Thus i'd like to not have to do that again. Ringtones were deleted too. The only video i've taken with my camera was still there. Apps remained, contacts remained, mail and messages remained. The only thing deleted was 40 fricken gbs of tediously dragged and dropped music. So i really don't want to spend hours doing that again. Of all the things i wast saved it's the state of my music. if it matters none of my music was bought from itunes none of it is in icloud either. So my question is:

If i use "Restore from backup" will all my music be restored just the way it was? Again i cannot just hit sync. My library is too large.

The only think in icloud are contacts. I back to my computer and the last backup was 1:35 AM. Honestly no clue how since i've never purposely backed up anything. This is my first iphone but i've had ipods, several. I always manually manage. Itunes manages nothing (don't want my tags ruined). When i plugged in my phone "Manually manage music and videos" was UNCHECKED. No idea if i did that or if it did it on it's own. But it wasn't unchecked over the weekend. Regardless nothing else but backup to computer is checked and i recheckd "manually manage music..." Still don't know how it happened but i just don't really want to have to copy everything back again. it's a pain.

i've read several threads on this and other pages but i'm a bit confused as to the music issues.
Thanks for your help. i'm sure this is a noob question but i'm a noob. Thanks for any feedback.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I figured as much. That's so horrible. the most labor intensive time consuming thing is picking the music. Iphone settings are easy. I don't care about losing that. I figured as much though. But i can't just hit sync. it will put random stuff on their. I need to pick the songs. sucks though. I searched many threads but often they only talked about apps, or videos or contacts or corrupted backups. Sigh.

Still pissed of thing deleted itself. Maybe i did something but i don't know what. i've never had my 80gb ipod just loose all it's music. Well maybe me an apple got different priorities. Settings i'll can get back to normal in maybe a half hour. going back through all 22 thousand songs and picking individual songs til i hit about 40GB takes longer. Regarding backups saving settings. it would have been nice had they saved at the least a list of all the songs that used to be on and then resynced those back. and i thought Jobs like music. lol.

Regardless, thanks for the info. Aside from randomly wasting 3 hours worth of dragging and dropping by deleting my music this phone is awesome. The screen is amazing, choice of apps is great. And when Siri called me by name i nearly pissed my pants.

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
oh one question. do you guys have a guess as to how it happened. I somehow mistakingly tell it to delete everything by unchecking manually manage?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I only have around 2k songs but i have playlists set up in itunes. If my music ever mysteriously vanished from my phone, i just resync.

Didn't you set this up in itunes when spending your hours selecting songs? At the very least make a playlist and put that 40gb of music in it. You might want to look at itunes match as well. That favors those with lots of music.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I only have around 2k songs but i have playlists set up in itunes. If my music ever mysteriously vanished from my phone, i just resync.

Didn't you set this up in itunes when spending your hours selecting songs? At the very least make a playlist and put that 40gb of music in it. You might want to look at itunes match as well. That favors those with lots of music.

the playlist thing is a decent idea.

As for itunes match that's just not for me. The biggest thing is it's not free and my money is a bit tight now. But I've never bought from itunes. All my music is ripped so i'd have to pay for itunes match. I have 15k songs i google music for free so that helps. Yeah uploading was a pain but not too bad. i just set it and left it alone. But paying for itunes is a nonstarter. I can barely afford the iphone i just got and i'm one of those that stuck with sprint rather then pay for verizon. But back to itunes match. I've got Audiogalaxy installed and i'm testing subsonic so i can stream from my home my entire library for free if i feel the need. I know some people love icloud and itunes match but honestly i just don't see the point unless the days it takes to upload with other services really bothers you. I may be wrong but i read it doesn't even stream. That's the only reason i'd want my music in the cloud. To stream it when i'm not home. I don't need a back up. I actually have a back up of my back ups just in case (i had a spare old drive doing laying around lol). But i've never bought music for itunes so i'd have to pay for whatever it's offering. And that right there makes it not for me. To each his own.

But yeah i'm gonna do that playlist thing though. Thanks for the advice. Should have thought of that myself.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
do u know if i restore my iphone will all my games and money on my games still b there and my ringtones....

• App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
  • Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Your game data *should* be restored. As for your ringtones, I suggest you connect your device to your computer and sync the ringtones to iTunes just in case. You can always sync them back to your device when you're done with your restore.

kevinocarro

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I think pic are reload though.
1a3.jpg

Reif Reifsnyder

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 4 a month ago, restred it from the back up, and everything came back - music, apps, phots.

I just returned it for a 4s, restored it from the back up, and everything cam over except the music.

I didn't reconfigure i tunes in the last month.

Thoughts?

Smithmartin

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
If you backup your iPhone to computer with iTunes, to recover them you don't need any special app.

iTunes copies the files to the backup and uses unique file names
in Windows XP: C: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows Vista/7: C: \Users\[username]\AppData\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ (or something real close)
you will see a folder for every iPhone backup made - pick one
sort the files by size, for the 3gs and older .jpg files will be about 900kb or smaller (3mb camera) and copy them to a temp folder, then rename all of them to *.jpg (in CMD window: ren *.* *.jpg)
change you view to thumbnail and you will see your pictures

Or try Vibosoft iTunes data recovery: vibosoft.com/itunes-data-recovery-windows.html

Last edited:

Midoye

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If you have back up your music, you can restore from the backup.

To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync:

1. Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup
2. If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup

Midoye

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
We went in to upgrade to the iPhone 5. The AT&T rep said that we would still be able to backup our data from the old phones by syncing to our computer over wifi. Alparently he was wrong. I lost some of our music. It was not this week and thought it would have backed up to the cloud but I guess didn't. Plus when I did sync our new phones I accidentally restore my husbands data to mine. How can I get my music off the old phone? Do I need to correct the restore. It didn't really change anything because we share data anyway plus my restore does t seem to be there. Thx

Alex858

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Music purchased from the iTunes Store via your iPhone will be synchronized to iTunes when you sync the iPhone. You can also use the Transfer Purchases command under the File menu in iTunes if you aren't synching your iPhone every time you connect it to your computer. Once the content is in iTunes, it's easy to just sync it back to your iPhone should that ever become necessary.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB