If i hand in a blocked iPhone 5 to the Apple store what will they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNazMan_97

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I recently found an iPhone 5 on the bus it's blocked and there is nothing I can do with it it's not even useful to me so I was thinking if I should just sell it for parts on eBay or return it to the Apple store but I'm just curious what will Apple do with the blocked iPhone and will I get anything in return?

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently found an iPhone 5 on the bus it's blocked and there is nothing I can do with it it's not even useful to me so I was thinking if I should just sell it for parts on eBay or return it to the Apple store but I'm just curious what will Apple do with the blocked iPhone and will I get anything in return?

It's probably blocked because the person that lost it had it blocked by their carrier. The right thing to do is what you would want someone to do if you lost your device which would be either turn it into Apple or if there is a carrier logo on it turn it into the carrier. And why would you want something in return ??? Maybe consider it your good deed for the day !

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You'll get a thank you for turning in a stolen phone to Apple.

Were you expecting a reward? lol...then the whole world would steal these things and just turn them in for their own profit.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Did this guy seriously register to ask how to profit from a stolen iPhone as his first post? Wow.

For the record, finding a misplaced phone on a bus and keeping it with no attempt at finding the owner is the same as stealing.

Don't be a lowlife piece of garbage. Do the right thing and either try to find the owner (hopefully the owner put the phone into lost mode and provided a message to contact them), or maybe turn it into an Apple store and they can track the owner down.

If you are planning on just trying to profit from someone else's loss, then feel free to leave this site and never return, as you'll get no sympathy here.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me and my old age, but the entitlement attitude some people show these days is worrisome. Maybe I should just quit my job, go on Social Security and live off of government food stamps. I'm entitled to that, right? :rolleyes:

To the OP, as others have stated already, do the right thing and turn in the phone to Apple. Trying to profit on someone else's misfortune is just wrong.

Sent from somewhere

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Turn it in to Apple as this is the right thing to do. If you lost your phone, this is what you would hope the person who found it would be kind enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me and my old age, but the entitlement attitude some people show these days is worrisome. Maybe I should just quit my job, go on Social Security and live off of government food stamps. I'm entitled to that, right? :rolleyes:

To the OP, as others have stated already, do the right thing and turn in the phone to Apple. Trying to profit on someone else's misfortune is just wrong.

Sent from somewhere
Nope. It is not you and your old age, my friend, and I agree with your comment regarding the "entitlement" attitude being worrisome, but don't get me started...lol

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

What's your address? Going to call the police on you.

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say do the right thing & turn it in and ask for nothing. You will feel better about yourself after doing so.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think since I have been on iMore I might have seen maybe 2-3 of these questions with the OP leaning your direction. We all know including you that the right thing to do is go to the closet place be it an Apple store, Your local police Dept or Carrier if you know it. It it powers on it will tell you. Take it and tell them you found it, Enough said and think of how you would have felt if this was your phone.
Everyone on here knows the right thing to do except it seems you. No reward, No selling parts but just a big thank you and the knowledge to know you did the right thing.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You'll get a thank you for turning in a stolen phone to Apple.

Were you expecting a reward? lol...then the whole world would steal these things and just turn them in for their own profit.
Funny you said that Sean as I was just watching ABC Nightly News story being about pick pockets and when they go for smartphone which is the number 1 item they can get about $400.00 on the street and the people that buy them don't care. They get the use they can before it gets blocked so you know as well as anyone how big the is and why people like the OP even has to log in to ask such a thing. SMH

cp7

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mr. NazMan,

Did you really register on imore.com to ask a question about how to profit from someone's bad luck? Did you even try to locate the rightful owner of that iPhone 5?

Great 1st post, I am sure you are going to be a fine member on these forums.

Have a good day!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Someone should edit the first post to reflect reality...

"Hey guys, I stole an iPhone...can anyone tell me if I'll get in trouble if I sell it for parts on eBay or if they can trace it back to me through Apple? You think if I take it to Apple and tell them someone blocked my iPhone that they'll give me a replacement that I can sell and then do this all again next week? Thanks."

EricandSuebee

May 31, 2013
Visit site
What is this world coming to, where people don't care anymore and will try and profit from anyones misfortune. Like other's have said turn it in, you'll feel good about yourself, and hey you might get lucky and the owner of the phone could give you a reward for its return!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8