I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you could give us references to those studies it would be well appreciated.

Now, I'm not going to teach you a lesson, but "Why people would pay more for exclusivity" is a question in many of the nation's college textbooks. Economy 101. So, I'll just drop a few links.

Study: consumers willing to pay more for iPads than Android tablets | iPhone World's iNews Aggregator

Wealthy smartphone users more likely to own an iPhone, study finds

Five Reasons Why People Pay More | Alain Burrese

widiggums said:
Apple like any corporation has a mandated fiduciary responsibility to its share holders to do everything possible to turn a profit. by making one phone that might sell 10,000 copies down from the millions sold now would be in violation of that. if there were to be a more expensive model i can understand that. but to sit there and actually infer that a person is superior or bound to some sort of higher up club simply because they have this or that device expecially an apple is mind boggling. you people do realize that the apple 2 e was basically the first main stream home computer going they were the 2000$ you seem to ask for now, owning one made you fortunate but not part of some exclusive club that brought out its shiny baubles to laud the less fortunate with. and lesser carrier wtf is that? if you dont sign a 2 year contract with unlimited calling and messaging and $100 a month for 10 gigs data you dont deserve to have an iphone? just the muckity mucks like you? tell ya what buddy there exists a $50000 phone done in gold , go buy one have apple modify it for your elitist azz with its own internals and ios system and leave the business thinking to real people who dont have dillusions of grandure or are living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget!!!

At the same time it's not like the 16GB is going to be 2000, that would most likely be the 64GB on everything with the highest and best and all of the accessories. Most iPhone users would be looking at something a little more modest.

But it's true, I can't sit here and lie to you that I haven't been embarassed walking around with a non Apple phone or even other devices. I don't know what it is, but it's very easy to get elitist about Apple products, simply because the types of people who buy it are already that way. And Apple really does think they are the ****.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Originally Posted by motoleo
Now, I'm not going to teach you a lesson, but "Why people would pay more for exclusivity" is a question in many of the nation's college textbooks. Economy 101. So, I'll just drop a few links.

Study: consumers willing to pay more for iPads than Android tablets | iPhone World's iNews Aggregator

Wealthy smartphone users more likely to own an iPhone, study finds

Five Reasons Why People Pay More | Alain Burrese

The first link shows a hint of research that doesn't prove your original point.

The second link has no bearing on the topic. We're not talking about who is more likely to own an iPhone.

We're talking about people more likely to PAY MORE.

The third link isn't research.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Is that not what we've been talking about this whole time? If Apple can get you to upgrade a perfectly good phone every year. They can up the price of the next phone.

If its higher are you just going to leave Apple or are you going to pay? Carriers have been setting the price to their own standards whether the consumers liked it or not. And do you know why, because people sit back and are complacent about it and get just let it happen.

And people like you and the other parts of this forum, I think it's hypocritical to even discuss your point. Do you know why, is the iPhone not already overpriced, and don't you own one?

Have you seen the price of an Apple iPhone case made by Apple?! Goodness gracious.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Is that not what we've been talking about this whole time? If Apple can get you to upgrade a perfectly good phone every year. They can up the price of the next phone.

If its higher are you just going to leave Apple or are you going to pay? Carriers have been setting the price to their own standards whether the consumers liked it or not. And do you know why, because people sit back and are complacent about it and get just let it happen.

And people like you and the other parts of this forum, I think it's hypocritical to even discuss your point. Do you know why, is the iPhone not already overpriced, and don't you own one?

Have you seen the price of an Apple iPhone case made by Apple?! Goodness gracious.

Your 'references' point to how much people are spending on mobile devices as a whole. It's not about the
guy who paid full retail for an iPhone willing to spend an extra $200 the next year, then an extra $300 the
year after. Someone who does that is just categorized as stupid.

No, the iPhone isn't overpriced at the subsidized cost. It's $200 or $300. It's been this way since the 3G.
Subsidized. Yes, I own an iPhone. I paid $300 for my 4S. I wouldn't pay $400 for the next-gen. As far as I know, Apple makes one case. The bumper priced at $30. If they make others, correct me as I may be wrong. You'e taking
this and trying to use circular logic on me and the people reading this. Your exact point is that you'd be willing to
spend more money on the next iPhone because you'd feel more exclusive. None of your 'studies' that you're
referencing prove this about mobile consumers.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well we can't really say what will happen because even if it was priced more leisurely, then it would also have to have a new reason for that pricing. If you are expecting the same price for the new iPhone, you are essentially expecting the same phone with an incremental upgrade.

That might be exactly what we get with the new iPhone, but what's so exciting about that?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well we can't really say what will happen because even if it was priced more leisurely, then it would also have to have a new reason for that pricing. If you are expecting the same price for the new iPhone, you are essentially expecting the same phone with an incremental upgrade.

That might be exactly what we get with the new iPhone, but what's so exciting about that?

Nothing.

But your OP suggests Apple should go up on the price of the iPhone because it's been "saturated."
So you can tell us....

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Nothing.

But your OP suggests Apple should go up on the price of the iPhone because it's been "saturated."
So you can tell us....

iOS6 is a strange software. It's not a reinvention of the iPhone, yet it has a few style changes that might look better on a phone with a slightly different form factor.

There is no reason to think that the iPhone will have a bigger screen or any of that special stuff. In terms of looks, it might just be a different color. Apple prides itself in uniformity within their product line from top to bottom.

"Disconnect from the past" is a phrase that really gets to me. And why in the world would the iPhone ever be available at Cricket. Is it a charity mission? Is it for a little extra profit? They've clawed their way to the top of the food chain off the backs of AT&T and even brought the carrier into critical acclaim.

AT&T is known as, "The iPhone carrier" that exclusitivity is what their success is built on.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Plus much of the improvements in IOS6 is very much under the hood too. There's new Facebook integration, added with improved Siri features, with a few things like Do not Disturb, not to mention Safari improvements, all of which are very small and do not seem to affect much but they really create a very polished experience.

Furthermore that's just from my experiences on the Beta, who knows what wonderful things Apple might snuck into the final release?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
They would have to "snuck" in a whole lot. I think all of that added stuff is annoying. Like everything they added to the music app, and how you can accidentally tap the Store icon. Likes, comments. It's very cluttered.

And adding Facebook and Twitter integration is, I see that like adding MySpace integration.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think they could easily charge $299 as a subsidized price (not sure if that's the carrier's choice or if Apple can influence that), especially if there's any change to the form factor whatsoever. People bought the original Thunderbolt at $299, and that was back when the battery lasted 3 hours and got hot enough to burn a hole in your leg.

It makes no sense that Apple would tout their "ecosystem" time and time again, and then not use that as a trap to get additional money from customers, especially when many competitors already charge that.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think they could easily charge $299 as a subsidized price (not sure if that's the carrier's choice or if Apple can influence that), especially if there's any change to the form factor whatsoever. People bought the original Thunderbolt at $299, and that was back when the battery lasted 3 hours and got hot enough to burn a hole in your leg.

It makes no sense that Apple would tout their "ecosystem" time and time again, and then not use that as a trap to get additional money from customers, especially when many competitors already charge that.

Ahem...
iPhone 4s - US subsidized price at launch - October 2011
16GB : 199$
32GB : 299$
64GB : 399$

They're already quite there... On AT&T site right now you can see that they are still the same price. Which makes the 4S pretty much the most expensive smartphone on the market. The Galaxy Note is 249$ and you can get it with a cheap voice contract... Would Samsung make a GSIII with 64GB, it still would be 249$.

And then there's the contract iPhones require...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77