How to prevent OS X from creating 'ghost files' on external sources??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Whenever I copy files from my iMac towards any external source (no matter if it's Dropbox, or an external harddrive/usb stick)... the system creates what I like to call 'ghost files'.
These files are empty files, named exactly the same as other files within the same folder I just copied.

For example, if I copy a folder with files named 1, 2 & 3 from my iMac to an external usb stick... that external usb stick will have those original copied files in the newly created folder, BUT there are also 3 empty ghost files with the exact same name.
These ghost files however always start with an ._ or ._. extension before the actual filename.
So the newly copied folder on my external source would contain 6 files in total; 1, 2, 3, ._.1, ._.2 and ._.3

- Does anyone recognise this weird ghosting issue??
And what to do about it?
Is there any way to fix this, so that OS X doesn't create these ghost files in the first place??
These ghost files normally ONLY appear when viewing them from OUTSIDE my OS X environment (so when I access my dropbox account using my iPhone for example, OR when I plug in my usb stick in a Windows PC).

I assume I'm not the only person with this issue??
* I have this ghosting issue ever since I got my iMac (August 2015).

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Emptying the trash bin typically fixes similar problem, but if those files only appear when viewing them from outside of OS X then I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully, someone who does will reply soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost