How to enable Mobile Substrate in the "disabled" state

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Mobile Substrate related issue. After my iPad fall off from bed, I discovered that the volume keys stopped working. I didn't pay any attention since it was working fine at that time. Until I rebooted the device because Transmission stopped working, I installed Volume Keys Disable tweak in Cydia in order to get rid of display of volume icon. Unfortunately, I later discovered that Mobile Substrate has this volume keys disabling feature and therefore the tweak doesn't work, as well as other jailbreak tweaks.

I learned that this issue is related to the mobile substrate because Activator warns me Mobile Substrate is not enabled.

Is there any way to configure to enable the Mobile Substrate under the disable mode so that it can be enabled during the reboot when the volume buttons are pressing down (or jammed)? I have 5.1.1.

Thanks.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it you have two options:

1. Try to unjam the volume keys - this will fix the issue and who knows, maybe the volume rocker will start working again!
2. Uninstall Mobile Substrate and replace it with a previous version - when you open Cydia and search for Mobile Substrate, you'll see in its description in a blue box (I think) saying that from version x.x the volume key feature was included as a safeguard. You simply need to find a version older than the x.x mentioned in this blue box. Note that uninstalling Mobile Substrate will uninstall 95% of your tweaks!

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi iDonev,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to unjam the keys and I'm afraid that if I continue to try to unjam them, the keys will wear out (the white stuff coming from the edge of the plastic). Anyway, I found several ways to adjust the volume without using these keys as well as hide the volume icon which stucked on the screen without any jailbreak tweak. All that's left is to enable Mobile Substrate.

Can it be enabled through Mobile Terminal or do I really have to replace with its older version?

Thanks.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there's a way to make the changes you want, it's just that I have no idea how to do it. :D
Perhaphs someone else could chime in?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
In the long run I really think fixing the volume keys is the way to go, even if you have Apple do it. If you use an old version of Mobile Substrate it might not always be compatible with more recent apps?which would mean you'd want to update anyway.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
it depends on how mobile substrate was built... if it has a source file somewhere like on source forge then a smart programmer would be able to do something there with it and remove/change the "listener" for booting up with mobile substrate disabled.
i looked around alot today in ifile at anything with the mention of mobilesubstrate, and i cannot see in any of the files i could view on my phone anywhere you could change the key choice. i cannot open dylibs on my device, but im not sure it would be located in there either.
i think the best plan for now is to simply downgrade to the previous version that i posted on his thread in the ipad 2 forum.
it looks like the only significant change was the addition of booting into this new mode.

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to enable Mobile Substrate in the "disabled" state

Thanks for all your replies. I downgraded Mobile Substrate to version 0.9.3996 and everything seems to work fine. Sadly, I had to remove all of the tweaks before downgrading since there is no --nodeps option available for apt-get in iOS.

Thanks.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That's a pain! I figured you could just push it to your phone, then use ifile to install it, and it would just overwrite the newer package, then a reboot, or a respring and you'd be straight...
Buy at least you are past the volume issue for now

robbychen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I didn't know the package could be replaced by the old ones. I installed too much tweaks and need to clean up and start over anyway :)

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28