How to classify non-Bluetooth speaker devices on iPhone?

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I use an older iPhone X in an Apple iPhone dock as an alarm clock with an alarm music app wired into amplified speakers. I recently saw a message pop up asking if it was connected to headphones and I erroneously and carelessly answered yes. I later realized that’s why the volume was cut way down, it thought I was blowing out my ears. Is there a setting for that?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think all you need to do is reclassify what type the device is (change it from headphones to speaker). Here are directions I found in an article on Apple's Support page:

Go to Settings > Bluetooth, then tap the Actions Available button next to the name of the device.

Tap Device Type, then choose a classification.

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I think all you need to do is reclassify what type the device is (change it from headphones to speaker). Here are directions I found in an article on Apple's Support page:

Go to Settings > Bluetooth, then tap the Actions Available button next to the name of the device.

Tap Device Type, then choose a classification.

The problem is the Apple iPhone dock is hard wired to the speakers, not Bluetooth, so it’s not there under Bluetooth settings to change.

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Have you tried checking the settings on your alarm music app?

Yes the app has a volume control but it was being overridden by the iPhone thinking I was using wired headphones and playing them too loud. That sounds silly saying the iPhone was thinking. I actually gave up trying to fix it and changed the old iPhone I’m using for the alarm. I could have reset the iPhone and set it up all over but it was easier to change phones. I have not seen the message pop up again, just thought I’d ask here in case there is a setting I can’t find. Maybe I’ll try asking Apple Support.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's definitely puzzling. If you want to go back to your original setup, what you might try is to uninstall the app, then restart the phone, and reinstall the app. That way, you hopefully will get another prompt where you can select speakers instead of headphones.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so remove the iPhone from the dock, restart it, put it back on the dock. Maybe that will cause the prompt to reappear?

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I chatted with Apple support and they told me to reset the iPhone. Copied the message below.

To Reset All Settings Next on your device.

Please go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks, cellular settings, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper. It also removes any cards you have setup with Apple Pay and deregisters FaceTime and iMessage.

Aside from the examples above, you will not lose any personal data, mainly just all personalizations made to device.
Your device will power off and power back on once the reset is complete.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahWilkerson