How future proof is my new MBP?

I

iMore Question

Hey guys. I just got a July 2014 MBP 13.3inch, 2.8ghz i5 with 512 Flash storage, and 8 GB RAM. I am starting to wonder if I will need more RAM in the near future and if I made a mistake not upgrading it to 16GB. I just use my computer for internet, e-mail, editing PDF docs on Preview, screen casting (not often), uploading videos, word processing, Skype, etc... not all at the same time of course.

I just think back to when I got my first MacBook, the late 08 unibody, with 2GB ram and 4 years later it had gotten so slow, i upgraded to 8GB RAM. Now, in this new machine, it runs super fast, but I still have only 1-2 GB RAM free or even less sometimes, with just Safari and Preview open. I also have 214 processes running ... is this normal? How can I reduce some those processes?

Or am I totally overthinking it? I paid a pretty penny for this thing and I'd assume it'll last me at least 6 years, which is the interval in which I usually buy new Macs... are the new SSDs and faster processors better at using RAM? My activity monitor shows 1.5GB free and no memory pressure at all... so am I just overthinking the numbers? What happens when RAM is like, 20MB!?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Spec wise you sound OK... OSX wise... My MacBook Pro circa mid 2008 is running the current Yosemite fine...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77