How do I get rid of apps I don't want anymore?

I

iMore Question

How do I get rid of apps I don't want anymore

I don't want apps I put on my iPhone 6s how do I get rid of them permently

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I get rid of apps I don't want anymore

Welcome to iMore! Long press on an app shortcut (not deep press) until it starts to wiggle and then tap the X next to the apps you don't want anymore. You can also go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage and then select individual apps and tap on Delete App.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Im assuming that in addition to removing apps from the phone, there is a way to delete them from your "Purchased" history? I have apps show up that I"ve downloaded, and since deleted from my device, that keep showing up in my "Purchased" directory... How can I get rid of these w/o using iTunes?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Im assuming that in addition to removing apps from the phone, there is a way to delete them from your "Purchased" history? I have apps show up that I"ve downloaded, and since deleted from my device, that keep showing up in my "Purchased" directory... How can I get rid of these w/o using iTunes?

This is done in iTunes on your computer, and I don't think there is a way around that (I have my phone plugged in, but not sure if that matters). Open iTunes and up top just to the left of the Search bar click on the tiny down arrow next to your name. When the dropdown menu appears click on Purchased. Now again over at the top right click on Apps. At the top center click on All.

Now here's the tricky bit. Find the app you want to hide and hover your mouse just over the top left corner until your cursor turns into a hand with a finger. Once you see the mouse icon change then you can left click your mouse. A box will pop up asking if you're sure you want to hide the purchase.

Getting that little mouse icon to change into the hand with a pointed finger is a huge pain in the rear, but it's doable.

Last edited:

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

Following. Would like to see an answer for this as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You can't delete them I don't think. You can hide them on computer. If you're the Family Sharing organizer, you can hide them on your phone.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

As far as I know there is no way to permanently delete apps from your iTunes account. Your apps are hidden in a list that you can only access from your computer.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not trying to pry but why are you worried about having old apps in your purchased list? They aren't taking up any space or using any resources.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to pry but why are you worried about having old apps in your purchased list? They aren't taking up any space or using any resources.

Don't know about Rockdog, but I have close to 1,000 apps in my purchased list. I still use some that are not currently on my screen. It's a PITA to have to scroll down through hundreds of useless apps searching for that one app I can't recall the name of. I'd like to hide about 600 apps.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm not who you asked, but I wish I could. There are a number of apps I've installed but I know I never will again, and if I set up a new device from scratch it's a lot easier to reinstall apps if I didn't have to find the good ones in a list of so many I'll never install again.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't know about Rockdog, but I have close to 1,000 apps in my purchased list. I still use some that are not currently on my screen. It's a PITA to have to scroll down through hundreds of useless apps searching for that one app I can't recall the name of. I'd like to hide about 600 apps.

I'm not who you asked, but I wish I could. There are a number of apps I've installed but I know I never will again, and if I set up a new device from scratch it's a lot easier to reinstall apps if I didn't have to find the good ones in a list of so many I'll never install again.

Fair enough. I guess I've just never worried about it!

rte369x

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Just go Settings and uninstall it. Just follow the manual provided. You can uninstall and reinstall if you would like to get back in. Thanks

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I found that if you go into iTunes, pull up all your apps. You wont be able to tell from the list which ones are on your phone vs. which ones have been installed and/or deleted. Now open the App Store on your phone, and go to "Purchased." You'll see all the apps that are installed as well as ones with the cloud icon. For the apps that you see with the little cloud icon, find that app in iTunes (you can do a quick search by name), the hover over the app icon and you should see an "X" pop up in upper left corner. Tap the X and you will see the app removed from iTunes as well as off your phone (you can see it delete from your phone in real time).
Hope this helps..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon