How did my account get targeted for iMessage SPAM?

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I am seeing loads of spam directed at my iMessage account. I have AT&T as a carrier, with the 239 prefix, so I’ve seen a string of those numbers in a CC list which includes me (and 19 others). The last batch was apparently sent from an email account.

So ...

(1) Someone has hacked or been provided a lot of numbers with the 239 prefix.
(2) I have the settings in iMessage set to screen numbers not in my contacts, yet the spams are dumped right into my regular iMessage inbox.

How is this happening?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iMessage Security

I doubt it’s directed at your iMessage account. Robocall/Robotext operators enter in the area code and prefix and then let the system do its thing. If it find enough hits, it keeps working them until those hits dry up.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I occasionally get spam texts and calls, from a prefix the same as mine, although not as much lately (knocking on wood). When they come in, I block the number. I also report them to my carrier (also AT&T) by forwarding the message to AT&T.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I get political messages from time to time and I just delete them. Let's face it, our numbers are not as "private" as they one were.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I am seeing loads of spam directed at my iMessage account. I have AT&T as a carrier, with the 239 prefix, so I’ve seen a string of those numbers in a CC list which includes me (and 19 others). The last batch was apparently sent from an email account.

So ...

(1) Someone has hacked or been provided a lot of numbers with the 239 prefix.
(2) I have the settings in iMessage set to screen numbers not in my contacts, yet the spams are dumped right into my regular iMessage inbox.

How is this happening?

You need to delete the spam messages, just click “report junk” link at the bottom of the message and that should take care of it.

If you open a message it gets removed from the “unknown” column and gets dumped in your “contacts” unless you click the “junk” link at the bottom of the message.

Good luck.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

You need to delete the spam messages, just click “report junk” link at the bottom of the message and that should take care of it.

If you open a message it gets removed from the “unknown” column and gets dumped in your “contacts” unless you click the “junk” link at the bottom of the message.

Good luck.

Where you see/find this? I never see it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
iMessage Security

Here you go

c0fb6537e4a3f426debd8a0467ff288a.jpg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

If you are receiving undesirable SMS/MMS messages (not iMessage, which will have their own reporting function), you might also want to report them to your mobile carrier, AT&T.

For the other people that might run into this thread, here are support articles on SMS/MMS spam reporting with some of the major mobile carriers in Canada and USA. I can't find a reference for Verizon. The best course of action is searching "Report SMS" or "Report Text" on your mobile carrier's support site.

Canada

USA

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site

Reporting them to the carriers hasn’t done anything to slow this down for a decade.

Original question was all about how it happens that anyone can send me texts if I have the setting to separate all texts from anyone not in my contacts into that separate bin for the unknown. And a problem is, Apple allows you to originate iMessage from an email account, assuming it’s entered into the Apple ID. Therefore when I report spam to AT&T, the quick return message from them asked for the number originating the spam, and there ain’t none. I understand how handy it is to be able to chain iMessage to the iPad, but it also is convenient for spammers, apparently.

Appreciate the advice, though. I’m learning.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site

Good luck.

This one never was in the Unknown Senders box; it appeared in Contacts and SMS. I’m guessing that only iMessages are sorted into one of the two folders and so if somebody sends from just any text messaging app it goes into the main box as if it were from someone in my contacts?

Weird, if so.

And I’ve never seen that “Report junk” option.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77