How big is too big for Photos Library?

dkampmann

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My Photos Library is getting up to 200 GB in size now. With the newer iPhones, it grows quickly.

Is there a point where the library is too big and problems occur? If so, what do people do?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The only problem that I could foresee occurring is either not having enough physical storage on your device or perhaps running out of iCloud Storage if you're not willing to pay for 1TB.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My Photos Library is getting up to 200 GB in size now. With the newer iPhones, it grows quickly.

Is there a point where the library is too big and problems occur? If so, what do people do?

I’m not one who stores a lot of images and videos on my iPhone. In fact, I am quick to transfer my photos to Microsoft’s OneDrive AND my 2 TB external hard drive. Anyway, my recommendation is to offload some of your photos or make use of several cloud storage sites instead of just one.

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
The thing with that option, although I don't disagree, is that albums like 'people / faces' will only go back as far as the photos on the service you're using. So say you archive pre 2016 images on one drive, pre 2010 on google and the most recent on iCloud, you'll never see the chance old pictures you stumble across now and again.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually try to keep my photos in check by sorting them out and deleting the not so good and using Dropbox to store the keepers .

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
I personally don't see any problems with a big photo library - as long as you have enough memory left.
If you come close to your maximum memory capacity, your device might be slightly slower.

But if you want to clear your memory, there are lots of options - exporting photos/videos to a cloud (as mentioned).
What I do is, just exporting all of my pictures to my laptop - so I have all backed up and delete all pictures or videos I don't really need to carry around.