Help me understand why imessage is so great.

bmbriefs

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I've been a android user forever and I enjoy it. I have been contemplating switching to iphone because all of my family and friends have it and I think I could benefit from the use of facetime and imessage. (If only apple would make android versions of those apps, but I digress..)

I totally get the advantage of facetime - I don't need to try to convince my friends and family to download a new app, and it seems to work seamlessly.

I don't totally understand what I am missing out on without imessage. I routinely hear people say they would switch from iphone but for imessage, but I'm not sure why.

Can someone clarify for me?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

The key feature of iMessage is the security that’s build in and the fact that you can see it along all your devices as well as high quality photo transfer and if your into stickers and emojis it’s a plus.

I like it for the Read Receipt so I know someone got my text

Also a lot of new features

Apple Pay
Animoji

Here’s a link to explain why iMessage is Great

https://www.imore.com/imessage?amp

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You really have to be a user of iMessage to understand. Sure, instant messaging has been around forever. But with iMessages the experience is so much greater and the integration with iMessage apps, stickers and other social items makes it a great experience. So much more than typical SMS messaging. And you don't need your friends/family to download any additional apps. It all happens from within that one Messages app.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I have both platforms and I use to think like you did. I'll just say iMessage is better than all the other platforms such as WhatsApp, FB messenger and others. There is so much stuff bundled into the messaging app. The only reason I carry two phones to be honest

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
You really have to be a user of iMessage to understand. Sure, instant messaging has been around forever. But with iMessages the experience is so much greater and the integration with iMessage apps, stickers and other social items makes it a great experience. So much more than typical SMS messaging. And you don't need your friends/family to download any additional apps. It all happens from within that one Messages app.

Exactly. And it doesn’t compress media/tell you the attachment is too large, unlike most social media apps (or even standard SMS, for that matter).

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Probably my favorite feature is being able to send most types of documents through iMessage where I couldn't with SMS. So instead of emailing someone a .doc .xls or .pdf I can just send through iMessage. I'm also a big fan of the Rich Previews for links.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I don’t know that I could say iMessage is great, but the dual end encryption is nice. As well as the built apps and apps built specifically for iMessage. Of course the thee things mentioned by others are nice as well.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's like an in built messaging app similar to whatsapp and you don't have to download anything else. It's the most prominent sticking point, there's no hassle.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
There's so much to like... but mostly, it's just so easy! I have to say that when messaging with a friend on a "non-iOS" device who doesn't have iMessage is sometimes bothersome because it can be so complicated! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacker