HELP! Can’t pick an AW Size

mrsg2017

May 9, 2018
Visit site
I’m finally taking the plunge and buying an Apple Watch series 3 GPS - but I can’t pick a size. Literally the most indecisive person ever created, I swear.

I believe I am going the Gold route, even though I’ve never been drawn to gold - I find it to be more feminine looking. Will be mixing the gold with silver/white gold jewelry. If I didn’t do gold, it would be the Space Grey but I find it makes the 42mm look larger/masculine on me (personally).

I’m female, wrist size is ~155mm.

The reasons I’m so stuck are as follows:
- I’ve read that the 42mm has a better battery
(I walk for a about an hour a day plus work out - I want to not have to worry too much about charging my watch)
- I’ve read that the 42mm has a better display (more pixels) - it’s not a lot more money so it makes sense to spend a few extra bucks for a better display

Photos are just what I’ve been able to try on - the Apple store is quite a drive for me.

First two are 38mm second two are 42mm.

Would love opinions!!! Everyone around me is sick and tired of hearing my crazy ramblings 😬

Attachments

• 2A02CC2B-BAC4-448F-9C31-A04BBE72EFF9.jpeg
    2A02CC2B-BAC4-448F-9C31-A04BBE72EFF9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • D98DBD0F-B801-4688-8649-C2D7CB12932E.jpeg
    D98DBD0F-B801-4688-8649-C2D7CB12932E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 3FE93B38-0A23-406C-B9D9-C3FD2B18A52B.jpeg
    3FE93B38-0A23-406C-B9D9-C3FD2B18A52B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 7A2C9076-2CEA-43B3-A065-28383148B68A.jpeg
    7A2C9076-2CEA-43B3-A065-28383148B68A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think the 42mm looks good on you! I've always been drawn to the oversized "boyfriend" type of watch, so the larger one would be my pick for you. I inherited my husbands 32mm Series 3 GPS (he's very slender) because he wanted a Garmin instead. While I do love the watch, I think when I decide to upgrade later on down the line I will go with a 42mm.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Go for 42mm. You’ll thank me later.
Being a woman or man or girl or boy doesn’t matter when it comes to Watch size. Bigger is better. Period.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had both sizes and quickly adjusted to the lesser size. Battery life is great for me, but better on the 42 mm, but not by that much. Anyway, pick a size you think looks best on you and then go for it.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
The 42mm indeed has a larger battery and in black and white, lasts a little longer than 38mm. Pixels wise the 42mm has more pixels but both 42mm and 38mm have equivalent pixel density.

I understand your dilemma on size selection since you're a lady with 155mm wrist size (I'm a guy with 161mm wrist size) and I personally suggest the 42mm. The larger screen makes reading a little easier on the eyes and you won't have to worry in future if you think the 38mm is too small.

Yes the 42mm will look a little larger on your wrist but ultimately it's what works for you, and not the proportion of the watch to wrist size.

Cheers!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Get what YOU want. You are the one who will be wearing it. Your carrier sells it if they are close to you, go try it on. I am small so I have the 38 mm and my batter life is great. I got mine from Verizon

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I completely "get" where you're coming from. I just got my watch last month. Initially, I had planned on getting the 38mm... but my husband talked me into the 42mm.. because I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be... not to mention my chubby fingers... quote/unquote! That night, I ordered my watch from the AT&T store, because of a deal they had. I first went to Best Buy which was across the parking lot, to try them on, and I did choose the 42mm. It is big, but I realized that the larger watch gave me more "real estate" to deal with and I don't mind it at all. And then of course, the battery life is exceptional.

It's going to be your watch, and as others have already stated, you need to be happy with it. So pick what YOU want (once you figure out what that is)!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Pics aren’t loading so I can’t comment but the battery on the smaller one is just fine. If I really wanted to push it, I could get 2 days on a charge and that includes working out/running every morning for 1-1.5 hours. I usually charge while getting ready for work and again when I’m getting ready for bed. I have yet to run low on battery.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m finally taking the plunge and buying an Apple Watch series 3 GPS - but I can’t pick a size. Literally the most indecisive person ever created, I swear.

I believe I am going the Gold route, even though I’ve never been drawn to gold - I find it to be more feminine looking. Will be mixing the gold with silver/white gold jewelry. If I didn’t do gold, it would be the Space Grey but I find it makes the 42mm look larger/masculine on me (personally).

I’m female, wrist size is ~155mm.

The reasons I’m so stuck are as follows:
- I’ve read that the 42mm has a better battery
(I walk for a about an hour a day plus work out - I want to not have to worry too much about charging my watch)
- I’ve read that the 42mm has a better display (more pixels) - it’s not a lot more money so it makes sense to spend a few extra bucks for a better display

Photos are just what I’ve been able to try on - the Apple store is quite a drive for me.

First two are 38mm second two are 42mm.

Would love opinions!!! Everyone around me is sick and tired of hearing my crazy ramblings ??????

Did you ever decide? What color/size/model did you get?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I knew the 42 was for me as soon as I saw them in person. I had the original, Series 1, and now the Series 3. I have to stop buying stuff just cause it's new. Geez!

Heh. The wife and I both had the original AW and we upgraded to the s3 as part of our 25th wedding anniversary.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Heh. The wife and I both had the original AW and we upgraded to the s3 as part of our 25th wedding anniversary.

That’s awesome! Too bad my wife’s not a techy person, so only myself am wearing the Apple Watch.

I’ve got the original one, Series 2 and current Series 3 LTE, all in 42mm stainless steel. Think I need to tell myself enough for now even after Series 4 is launched.

mrsg2017

May 9, 2018
Visit site
The universe decided for me.. well actually, I couldn’t make up my mind/hesitated on ordering and the 42mm gold sold out. It was a good sale, and I couldn’t find it at another store for the same price so I went with the 38mm knowing I could return it if things didn’t pan out.

So far I’m happy. It feels really comfortable on my wrist and I like the way it looks. I’ve worn some garish fitness trackers over the past few years, it’s nice to have something ‘pretty’ for a change. Holds battery well for what I use it for.

Not going to lie though.. in the back of my mind I’m wondering if the 42mm would’ve looked as good/if I would’ve been happy.

Edit: also, keep torturing myself on the colour.. but I didn’t want the silver and was on the fence about space grey.

Like I said, most indecisive person ever. I annoy myself

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The universe decided for me.. well actually, I couldn’t make up my mind/hesitated on ordering and the 42mm gold sold out. It was a good sale, and I couldn’t find it at another store for the same price so I went with the 38mm knowing I could return it if things didn’t pan out.

So far I’m happy. It feels really comfortable on my wrist and I like the way it looks. I’ve worn some garish fitness trackers over the past few years, it’s nice to have something ‘pretty’ for a change. Holds battery well for what I use it for.

Not going to lie though.. in the back of my mind I’m wondering if the 42mm would’ve looked as good/if I would’ve been happy.

Edit: also, keep torturing myself on the colour.. but I didn’t want the silver and was on the fence about space grey.

I'm glad you like it so far!
I know what you mean though. I can be pretty indecisive myself.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

You will be absolutely fine with the 38. I got my wife the 38 and she loves it. Don’t look back and enjoy your new watch.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77