iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
64g
dual led flash one high one low
5gh n wifi
dual antenna/ fix
1.3 mp front camera
in that order that should be easy and leave room for iphone 6 to do all that othe crazy stuff you guys want.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
For the most part, they did a great job but because you always need to continuously improve...

Dual (louder) speakers
Notification LED
4" screen (sweet spot of screen size IMHO)
Verizon
Back button
Flash 10.1

4" would decrease pixel density too much (288ppi, below 300 and no longer a "Retina Display" or equivalent to print media). It would also increase the size of the device too much for one-handed usability. Have you tried out the Vibrant? It is AWESOME, but I can't use it with one hand and I have pretty average size male hands.

Where would you put the second speaker?

Notification LED would be useful but it looks cheap. Unless they can figure out a way to make it invisible unless it needs to be seen, like on the MacBooks.

Back button isn't needed imo.. do you really want one? I think it would make the phone look ugly and goes against Apple's whole design philosophy.

Flash.. Well that's a software thing that can happen on the current iPhone hardware. :p

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
-Dual core processor
-3.7" Screen, keep LCD because I want to be able to see my iPhone outside.
-Better front camera
-Stereo speakers
-Hardware camera button, maybe even allow it to be used for games as a shoulder button.
-Different case design, I like this one but the whole thing seems very fragile. Witnessed a 3 day old iP4 meet it's end from a 3 foot fall just last week, unacceptable; the back should not be glass.

More RAM, storage, and faster processor are all givens really.

wow thats like my exact wish list!!! i LOVE the way the phone looks but I am so nervous setting the phone down that its beyond distracting. same design but different material please!!!

emden09

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
More or less iphone7

As iPhone product Cycle Sems to Be 2years and there's a new iPhone every year we should be talking about iPhone 7G around here. So what I am missing with iPhone 4 is

- exchangable battery
- stylus support (still a lot of people around learned writing by hand and ARE pretty fast doin so in opposite to what Steve said)
- OLED antiglare Display
- true hardware extensibility as for USB Sticks, CF-Cards, Complete Bluetooth profile implementation, maybe even official external Storage for videos and so on.
- USB 3.0 Interface for syncing iPhone (this is becoming faaaar to Slow now)
- Support for Stereo Headup Displays
- OFFICIAL standardized external Battery Interface for iPhone usage in The Field
- charging through standard Micro USB Interface
- Hires Front Cam
- Backward compatibility especially for elder Hardware as build in in Cars (e.g. BMW)
- haptical display at least for keyboard even more an haptical API for apps
- LTE or whatever comes next Support
- multicore Prozessor
- flawless antenna
- IR (Infrared) I/O
- Laser and/or nearfield radar for measuring distances e.g during car navigation, shooting
- true canbus interface for communication with car components
- Interface for coupling iPhone to external Sattelite Phone hardware
- better stereo microphoneS (two mics with a distances between them)
- support for external Ethernet Hardware
- louder speakers especially for Speech (Talking in car, Navigation and so)
- The following is NOT hardware but builtin "Features"
- Flash
- True OS and Filesystem Access for experienced users (Unix Console)
- Patch System that does NOT need to replace The whole OS for every New OS-Version
-more standardized Interface for Dokument types As e.g. Tapping and Holding an pdf in any App. should make "View in iBooks" everywhere
- Support fot OGG Audio and Video
- loadable codecs from appstore
- C/C++-Compiler/Linker or small IDE giving us at least C/C++, Perl, bash Programming capabilities

Sorry seams this is getting to long for a forum discussion. Got 5 A4 Feature Request pages here, so copying you only the urgent stuff.

Last edited:

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Next iPhone needs to make me coffee each morning, teleport me anywhere within cell range, check my kid's homework every night and automatically ignore and purge all calls/texts/IMs/emails/facebook posts/surprise visits from my sister-in-law.

Oh, and better battery life would be nice too.

Check. How'd you know that's what the Apple engineers were aiming for?

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Multiple-core processors and 1GB of RAM? are you guys actually serious? Just because you've heard these things might happen some time soon doesn't mean they are necessary.

Here's what I expect:
- possibly a larger screen, maybe 3.8" but in the same body size. Simply less bezel. I actually feel like the screen is really large though, the new body and the insanely high resolution makes the screen feel bigger than it is.
- 64GB storage.
- LTE. duh.
- new look. They won't keep this even if they can fix the antenna, simply because of the stigma.
- maybe more colours, but it's unlikely.
- marginal processor improvement but probably the same RAM.
- one new unexpected feature that hasn't really been done before.
- marginal battery improvement as per every generation, but not another 40% increase like this year. Battery life might kist be equivalent because of the LTE radio, though.

Here's what I think definitely won't happen:
- Dual Core. It's pointless dudes. Maybe the iPad needs it, it can be sluggish and the apps are much more complex, but iPhone definitely doesn't need it.
-1GB RAM... that's not happening any time soon. It's completely unneeded and would only waste battery life. Again, something the iPad might use well, but not the iPhone.
- indicator light. Not happening, though it would be convenient!

This seems pretty good to me. i definitely don't want a bigger PHONE. If it gets bigger, i might as well carry an iPad around in my pocket. i don't want to mess with the resolution, or anything like that either.

The only thing i would add to this list is a more scratch resistant screen and more indestructible body. I don't want to "have" to use a screen protector to keep my phone in good condition and i don't want to "have" to use a case out of fear of dropping it once and spending another $200.

I love the physical design of this phone (size, silver band around the outside, and glass all around), it is simply beautiful. Unfortunately due to it being so fragile, i have to hide its beauty with a case and screen protector.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
4" would decrease pixel density too much (288ppi, below 300 and no longer a "Retina Display" or equivalent to print media). It would also increase the size of the device too much for one-handed usability. Have you tried out the Vibrant? It is AWESOME, but I can't use it with one hand and I have pretty average size male hands.

My wife had a Captivate for a little bit and I loved the size. I have huge hands so a 4" screen would still allow me to use with one hand. Obvious there would need to be some changes in the resolution but I think Apple could handle it.

Where would you put the second speaker?

Put it where the microphone is now. Then use a different mic above, below the 30 pin connector or someplace else. It wouldn't be that hard to move.

Notification LED would be useful but it looks cheap. Unless they can figure out a way to make it invisible unless it needs to be seen, like on the MacBooks.

Couldn't disagree more! They do NOT look cheap and are extremely practical especially if don't have the phone in your hand or pocket often. Something like on the Droid is perfect.

Back button isn't needed imo.. do you really want one? I think it would make the phone look ugly and goes against Apple's whole design philosophy.

Agreed that is goes against Apple but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful. Add it to the side of the phone and make is dual use as a camera button also. This would kill two customer complaints in one.

Flash.. Well that's a software thing that can happen on the current iPhone hardware. :p

I've responded to your comments above.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Increase viewable screen area to 4"
64GB of Memory
better reception

I want the ability to see the signal strength via the test mode again. I know what the numbers indicate and I would like to know how sucky a specific area is.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Oh FYI dudes I just thought of something important, a lot of you are saying that the upgrade path of the past shows that the iPhone won't change a lot in 2011 like it didn't change a lot in 2009, HOWEVER...

You're all forgetting one very important fact. During that time, Steve Jobs was sick. Tim Cook (the COO of Apple) was taking over for him. Most products were largely unchanged. The iPod touch kept the same look and was only slightly different, the iPhone kept the same look, iPod nano kept the same look and simply added a (failure) camera, and iPod shuffle is the only one that actually changed (and was a total fail). I imagine he wasn't given a lot of license in regards to changing the product line, and he was probably given full license with the iPod shuffle just to see how he would do.

Now that Steve Jobs has been back at the helm, all of the products have changed drastically again. I expect the 5th generation iPhone will be an even bigger change in some ways.

Nurnberg77

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Case definitely needs to be more protective so you don't have to add bulky after-market protection which takes away beauty of design.

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
the transportability of accessories is one of the things i like most about the iphone. like i said earlier, if they were going to change the configuration of the 4 i wish they would have given it a larger screen.

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I know it's pretty far off but what would you like to see added, hardware wise, in the next generation of the iPhone?

1. Better battery life by far
2. A high resolution camera for the front facing
3. More options for notifications / sounds. I still miss the way a blackberry handles sounds
4. Ability to make folders in the camera roll on the phone to sort pictures

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77