Google Sync - calendar, email and contacts...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Morning -

Has anyone been using Google Sync (Exchange) lately? Does it seem to handle email, calendar and contact syncing better since it's initial release?

Thanks in advance

Ivan\Navi

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what you mean. When I delete an email on my iPhone from gmail then go to gmail on my laptop that email is now in the trash. Is that what you want?

It has always been like that with Google Sync for me. What you are describing sounds like IMAP.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
What you are describing sounds like IMAP.

Naw, I use GMAIL in an IMAP configuration and when I delete things from my iPhone or my Outlook and go look at the web interface they are in the trash folder and will be deleted in 30 days.

The only reason I don't use the exchange option for mail anymore is that I had a very hard time finding old emails I needed when away from a computer. Has Google addressed this yet? I was only able to ever find things that went back about 45 days or so, then it stopped.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Aw I see now. I don't really delete emails anyway except for the few newsletter things I get each week; like from iTunes. And it's even rarer for me to look at anything but the inbox. With many GB of space why delete anyway?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
My only problem with the Google push for email is that it greatly limited my ability to find old emails. Is that still the case?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My only problem with the Google push for email is that it greatly limited my ability to find old emails. Is that still the case?

This is an issue for me as well. Email retention on the iPhone mail client and Google only goes back 1 month at the most. That's it. The same goes for any custom folder you may have created save to mail or whatever.

medimaging

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Im new to owning an Iphone but have had my Ipod touch for a year.. not the same thing at all, ive realized.

I use Outlook 2007 at my office for all of my email accounts, calendar and contacts. I posted a question here previously about easily syncing the Outlook calendar and contacts without always plugging into Itunes. Companionlink was suggest but I really need something free. Plus web based would be great in case i need to access info from home.. or wherever.

So, I set up an exchange account with Google Cal which worked out nicely enough and then downloaded Google sync to my PC (windows xp) to automatically sync with Outlook every ?? minutes.

I thought I had my solution until EVERYTHING showed up as duplicates. I have two of every contact and calendar entry. So i turned OFF the "sync contacts" under the exchange account and it removed all of the dup contacts but it did not solve my dup calendar entries. If i turn that off too, it defeats my whole purpose of having the exchange set up in the first place.

Any ideas on this considering that I am basically "bound" to Outlook.

I want to have the freedom of using outlook at my desktop and accessing my google account from wherever, and have everything synced.