Family Shared Reminders

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm posting this here because the hardware with the problem are iPhone 12s - my wife's 12 and my 12 Pro. From what I've read we should automatically have a shared list added to the Reminders app, which we're both missing. Our daughter has the list on her iPhone X. I've spent an hour try to make it appear to no avail, does anyone have any experience with this list missing as well? And if yes what made it finally show up?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
afaik, there is no 'automatic' addition of a shared list.
But lists will be shared between different devices/people if they are operating under the same Apple ID.
If the Apple ID is different, you have to share a list with the other user, via the share feature, by Mail, iMessage, Airdrop etc.
In both cases, iCloud for reminders has to be ON, on all devices that want to access the shared list.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
afaik, there is no 'automatic' addition of a shared list.
But lists will be shared between different devices/people if they are operating under the same Apple ID.
If the Apple ID is different, you have to share a list with the other user, via the share feature, by Mail, iMessage, etc.
In both cases, iCloud for reminders has to be ON, on all devices that want to access the shared list.

I'm not having an issue with shared lists in general, it's the specific Family Shared Reminders that Annie linked that isn't working. But thanks much for taking the time! :cool:

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
In case you haven't seen this, iMore writers posted an article in May titled "How to use the Reminders app on iPhone and iPad with Family Sharing". Hopefully, that will help you! :)

Thanks Annie! I'd read that article, which is how I'd discovered the list in question is missing. I followed this link to see how to add it, and discovered that my wife and I are both missing our Family list while it was automatically added to our daughter's iPhone. The quoted section below is what brought me here:

Once Family Sharing is enabled, every person in the Family Sharing group instantly has access to the automatically created Family calendar. And since it works just like any other calendar you've already created, there's nothing to set up. You can just start using it! Much like the shared Family calendar, Family Sharing also automatically sets up a reminders list that everyone in the group can contribute to and view. That means if you want someone to remember to pick up milk before heading home, you can add it and it appears on everyone's devices. There's no setup required and as soon as everyone's a member of the Family Sharing group, shared Reminders should just work.

Everything else related to Family Sharing works as advertised, from location to calendars.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77