Facetime over cellular for all data plans...

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Called 611 to enable Facetime over cellular. I have a 5 and the 3GB plan. At first the customer service person said it required a mobile share plan. I then told her that a recent press release said ATT was allowing it on any tiered data plan. After a few minutes on hold, she came back to say that there was indeed a press release but the changes won't be going into affect for 8-10 weeks, and to call back around January.

Not really a gripe, just an FYI for anyone else wondering about the new Facetime changes we've been reading about.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am guessing they will be rolling it out slowly. Some users are already able to use FT over cellular, so it might not be a full 6-8 weeks.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it will take some time for them to implement the new changes. However a friend who works for AT&T locally quoted a month to month and a half. Hopefully it's on the shorter end of the scale.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
typical AT&T nonsense. they seem to be the most resistant to data use freedom of all the wireless companies.

KNIGHTRIDER

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think those of us that still have unlimited data plans will get FaceTime of cellular. It was enabled for a day and turned off the next day. If anyone knows otherwise please advise for unlimited data users. Thanks.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think those of us that still have unlimited data plans will get FaceTime of cellular. It was enabled for a day and turned off the next day. If anyone knows otherwise please advise for unlimited data users. Thanks.

The press release from att said unlimted users also so I'm sure it's a matter of time they prob are turning on in phases and seeing usage and how it effects the network

Wolf Cookie

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
So how do you know if FaceTime over cellular has even turned on with our iPhone or not? Every time I look, it says I don't have it. Will it automatically turn on when its been enabled?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So how do you know if FaceTime over cellular has even turned on with our iPhone or not? Every time I look, it says I don't have it. Will it automatically turn on when its been enabled?

If not the options will be there some people say rebooting there phone off and on caused it to show up

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Was working with a reboot a couple of days ago, but not anymore on my iphone 5 with unlimited data?seems like AT&T closed it up again.

Peligro, do you have a link to that press release? My memory is that AT&T always said unlimited users would NOT get FT over cellular.

Wolf Cookie

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
If not the options will be there some people say rebooting there phone off and on caused it to show up

I tried that, but when I go to it, it's still turned off. When I try to turn it on, I get the same warning.... And by the way, I'm one of those grandfathered unlimited plans. I've had an iPhone ever since they came out.

I'd be willing to bet guys like me will be the last to be switched on.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Was working with a reboot a couple of days ago, but not anymore on my iphone 5 with unlimited data?seems like AT&T closed it up again.

Peligro, do you have a link to that press release? My memory is that AT&T always said unlimited users would NOT get FT over cellular.

It was a link from cult of Mac I think I have them and other on my feed but it was to far back to find it
You could be right thou I have Verizon so I just skim thru the stuff that don't relate to me

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's goes a press release regarding AT&T allowing FaceTime over cellular network. AT&T activating 'FaceTime over cellular' to all customers: report | ZDNet

After speaking with a friend of mine that works for AT&T; he's stated that there's been rumors around work that it's in the near stages of coming out and there's been a 2-month timeline thrown out, but no one knows for sure. His manager has even been given conflicting information.

I also don't see why Unlimited Data users wouldn't be able to use FaceTime over cellular. Hopefully it'll get turned on soon!

It appears that some people with Unlimited data ARE able to enable FaceTime though cellular. Others with Unlimited data plans are not able to. It's a toss up

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
When I try to activate it, it takes me to the website to change my plan.

Yep, certainly not happening that I am going to get rid of my unlimited data :)

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems to me that AT&T is trying to get people to ditched their unlimited data plans. What another crooked way they are trying to succeed

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
At least they aren't forcing you to lose your unlimited data plan. Verizon customers aren't even able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 until they lose their unlimited data and go to a shared plan. At least AT&T lets you keep your unlimited data if you really, really want to.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
At least they aren't forcing you to lose your unlimited data plan. Verizon customers aren't even able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 until they lose their unlimited data and go to a shared plan. At least AT&T lets you keep your unlimited data if you really, really want to.

I'm on VZ with an iPhone 5 and I kept my unlimited data by paying retail for my device.

Wolf Cookie

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's goes a press release regarding AT&T allowing FaceTime over cellular network. AT&T activating 'FaceTime over cellular' to all customers: report | ZDNet

After speaking with a friend of mine that works for AT&T; he's stated that there's been rumors around work that it's in the near stages of coming out and there's been a 2-month timeline thrown out, but no one knows for sure. His manager has even been given conflicting information.

I also don't see why Unlimited Data users wouldn't be able to use FaceTime over cellular. Hopefully it'll get turned on soon!

It appears that some people with Unlimited data ARE able to enable FaceTime though cellular. Others with Unlimited data plans are not able to. It's a toss up

I wonder if it is based on where you're located? We are not on LTE yet, but it is supposed to be here next year. FaceTime on 4G would probably be slow and jerky.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It's just another way for them to make money. By forcing people out of Unlimited Data plans they hope to save big bucks.
I hope no one falls for their crappy tactics

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Works well over LTE, not so well on 4G ... Just came back from Las Vegas where they have LTE, I am so jealous! ... Was like having wifi everywhere, I guess I never realized how great LTE can be. However, I am glad to see at&t making the change to allow everyone to use facetime over cellular.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmb87