External Drive

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a retina MacBook Pro and got a 1To external drive with it. My main storage capacity on the MBP is 128 gb.

So far I have access to my photos stored on the external drive. But when it comes to viewing them, it's not Photos that opens it it's the viewer. Is there a way to set it up so that Photos and IMovies open from the external drive ?

And if I use photos to view a picture, it downloads the pics on the MBP hard drive.

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks it worked. My understanding is that now, whenever I want to use Photos or IMovie, it will work from my external drive.

Last edited:

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the Retina MBP, so sometimes, it's not easy to find my references in order to fix minor issues with the MB.

Will I be able to save my imovie project on the external drive as well ? Or will I have to do the same type of change to make sure that the bigger projects go directly on the external Drive ?

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
So, this sounds like it would work with any library file like iTunes, etc? The only thing to remember is for any cloud syncing, the external drive would have to be connected to the mac, right?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, this sounds like it would work with any library file like iTunes, etc? The only thing to remember is for any cloud syncing, the external drive would have to be connected to the mac, right?

I use an external drive for both iTunes and Photos and libraries are completely on the external drive.