Drag and drop photos to iPhone5?

SpannerPLG

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Was trying to import some photos from PC to internal iPhone5 storage using standard My Computer type method, but won't let me do it. I can see the photos that are there already, taken with the camera, but there isn't a photos folder; not sure what the file structure is supposed to look like. Ideas?

Regards, Peter

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
in itunes you can designate a photos folder on your PC to be synced to the phone. then just drag pictures to that folder. sync to iTunes and you're good to go.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Does everything you put on the phone have to go through iTunes?

Yes, unless you jailbreak*. Like "jfrebel" stated, you can organize your pics in folders on your computer then sync those folders to your iPhone via iTunes.

* actually, there are apps like iExplorer that can be used to drag/drop but for me it is just easier to sync via iTunes.

Moohaumed

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Why not just use iTunes?

Because I dont want to be tied down to one computer. I own an iPhone, but not a personal computer. Not only would I have to install iTunes on every computer I use, I can only use ONE computer to sync from. The one thing I don't like about apple is, you can't add songs/images from another computer without erasing all of your own, nor could you download files onto another hard drive from your device. It makes it difficult to share media, but I think that was their intent.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I hate having to use iTunes to put stuff besides music on my phone. Even with the over the air alternatives that is one area I find very lacking.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have with syncing photos via iTunes is you am only sync the main folder not sub folders.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
itunes is not very user friendly at first and becomes the friend you call last when you can't find anyone else to help you

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I also have to agree that iTunes is really the best way to go in terms of getting picture folders on your device. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to use iTunes to do this even if you don't want to be tied to a computer but what does it take to do this? A whole maybe 5 mins. Once you have your folders set up and every time you add new pics in these folders, No matter what you sync from now on will include these pics as well.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have with syncing photos via iTunes is you am only sync the main folder not sub folders.

I am confused by this unless I am reading this wrong. You can setup a main folder on your desktop, and inside that folder you can set as many new subfolders as you wish to fill with photos and title them to suit your needs. Once you sync, as long as the subfolders are checkmarked (if you choose the option to only sync certain folders) they should all update on your phone. Make sure the 'photos and videos' option is checked as well in case you have videos the folders as well.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Was trying to import some photos from PC to internal iPhone5 storage using standard My Computer type method, but won't let me do it. I can see the photos that are there already, taken with the camera, but there isn't a photos folder; not sure what the file structure is supposed to look like. Ideas?

Regards, Peter

There are two ways to do this;

You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone.

Or

You must create a folder on your PC and set iTunes to sync that folder for photos. You can then drag and drop at will in that folder and then when you are done just hit sync on iTunes.

People are reluctant to use iTunes probably because it's still quite a poor experience on Windows. My favorite part of Android was not having to use iTunes.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone

Or

You must create a folder on your PC and set iTunes to sync that folder for photos. You can then drag and drop at will in that folder and then when you are done just hit sync on iTunes.

People are reluctant to use iTunes probably because it's still quite a poor experience on Windows. My favorite part of Android was not having to use iTunes.

Using the Windows Explorer still doesn't let you drag and drop photos into the camera roll folder.
It only let's you drag and drop out of the folder onto Windows.

KCMike

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone.

I bought a refurb iPod 4 & this feature doesn't work. If I try to drag & drop photos into the DCIM folder there's a red circle. I've never seen this happen before on either of my iPhones.

Feckulus

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Seriously??? Something as simple as drag and drop and the device won't allow it?!?!? I'm trying to move some photos for a coworker and I don't want to be required to install iANYTHING on my work machine in order to do it. Why do you people put up with this proprietary nonsense?

Special T

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I agree completely this is unintuitive an extremely inconvenient way to do things. If there are multiple ways to move images from a PC to an iPhone then theres no good reason that cant be integrated and automatic without having to download and run a separate program its completely unneccessary. Not happy with this feature

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There are other ways like Onedrive that eliminates the need to plug in your iPhone or even have it nearby. Once the photos are on your device you can move them at will