Do You Think Ads Are Out Of Control In Our Society?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ads….They’re everywhere and we see and hear them every single day, whether via TV, radio, games, apps or the World Wide Web. Let’s take email, for example. You see an “opt-out” or an “unsubscribe” option therein, but when you select it, you may see a reply stating it could take up to 90 days to be unsubscribed. In the meantime, you continue receiving the emails ads. It’s ridiculous!

With that being said, do you think the situation with ads are out of control? Would you like REAL control over the displaying of ads on your devices and within your apps? Feel free to express your thoughts below. Thanks.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Ads….They’re everywhere and we see and hear them every single day, whether via TV, radio, games, apps and the World Wide Web. Let’s take email, for example. You see an “opt-out” or an “unsubscribe” option therein, but when you select it, you may see an reply that states it could take up to 90 days to be unsubscribed. In the meantime, you continue seeing the emails. It’s ridiculous!

With that being said, do you think the situation with ads are out of control? Would you like REAL control over the displaying of ads on your devices and within your apps? Feel free to express your thoughts below. Thanks.

Absolutely. I’m not sure how anyone could say no. They’re intrusive and 99.999999% of them don’t interest me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, it depends! There are some ads that I love… in fact, I even started a thread about our favorite ads here in the iMore forums. What I don’t like is the egregious way advertisers track us, and I am thankful for Apple’s App Tracking policy. I detest the intrusion of unwanted ads. I dislike being constantly reminded that I once looked at a pair of shoes online months ago! I do not care for the thinly veiled advertising in many of the articles on iMore’s blogs (even though I understand their necessity…)!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The adverts are completely out of control. I loathe them in all their forms, especially the targeted ones and the insidious ones that seemed to pop up on my Facebook feed for the first time (before I closed my FB account) just hours after having a verbal conversation with my wife over that very thing...

I was telling my wife the other day that advertising doesn't work on me, just before I got into my Ultimate Driving Machine. "Just Do It" she said, handing me a can of soda... "It's The Real Thing!"

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Advertising is completely out of control,and I hate it, the very repetition is enough to be sure that I would go out of my way NOT to buy those products. Also although you never have been able to believe the claims of an advertiser, I have noticed a trend towards telling total lies about complete trash recently. I do not buy anything unless I already wanted it, and then only after a little research. I would really like much more control over what turns up on my devices.
Now a little rant, WTH in a Safari search do the first suggested answers have a critical part of the search terms crossed out, so you start with irrelevant answers at the top, not on the third or fourth page as they used to be !! Actually I am asking why Safari allows this to happen, not why advertisers cheat lie and slither round any rule they find, we know that !

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely.

But I don’t care about ads accuracy on me, or about services offering me things I may want. What enrages me is these bastards trying to use MY gadgets to spy on me, without my consent and, even, my knowledge. This is simply unacceptable to me.

“Ow but if we are not able to do that, we won’t be able to offer you free services”. I say: ok, we have a deal! Services I care for, I would happily pay for. Another ones, I won’t use - I don’t use even if they are free, actually. So, that being said, STOP TRACKING ME OR COLLECTING MY DATA!

I used to like TV and radio ads back in 90’s, for example. I really did. I still can recall some ads jingles today as I write this. Nowadays, with this new marketing strategy, I just hate them. Almost all of them! And that’s, definitely, not a good thing. Something has to change in this area, quickly. And I’m just happy Apple finally started this process with this ATT feature, one of my absolute favorites for a long long time now!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Where do I even begin?

I hate ads and I hate them even more when they track me. But what I hate the most is ads that put words in my mouth.

First of all, I run a network-wide ad blocker at home; which is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. So I remove a huge portion of ads and trackers when I surf the web at home, with no impact on my Internet service performance - it's actually faster.

For places where I can't run my own service, usually, the ads are not very tailored for me (because they can't really track me properly - I live in Montréal and my home Internet service is located in Toronto). But those that do make me feel like I'm being spied on, and it's borderline creepy. Like, I recently acquired a car (in CAD), and now I get ads for other cars… in USD.

But the worst ones are the provincial government ads that say "Votre gouvernement" (French for Your Government), which put words into my mouth. One, they're already poor by design. Then try to make me say something that I'm strictly opposed to (e.g.: racial discrimination act they put in place "being a good thing"). And who are they to say that they are my government if:
  1. I never even voted for them
  2. The actions taken by the government are against my own personal values
  3. They don't even try to work with the people that they're putting laws against
Oh, and should I say that the English ads also say "Votre gouvernement"

So yeah, I would be for any legislation that would ban ad tracking, tracking and/or ads.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Yes, definitely and I think many advertisers have crossed the fine dividing line between making people aware of their product and alienating them completely with their constant barrage of annoying and intrusive campaigns.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Would you like REAL control over the displaying of ads on your devices and within your apps? Feel free to express your thoughts below. Thanks.

A couple apps on my iPhone and MacBook Pro and <poof> the ads are gone. It’s amazing how CLEAN the iMore site is with all the ads gone.

Yes, I know ads pay the bills. But since there isn’t a yearly fee to get rid of the ads, yes, I’ll continue to use ad blockers.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The ads on iMore are the worst clickbaity type of rubbish ever. Seriously. They are dreadful, and link to the absolute dregs of the internet. Like this sponsored link to the worst ad-infested drivel ever. The site this link goes to is one of those sites where they have an eight paragraph 'story' where they post one paragraph per page, never actually getting to the point until the last paragraph, eight ad-filled pages later.

To quote a popular internet sensation "ain't nobody got time for that."

IMG_4856.JPG

Ed1944

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately, businesses need to advertise in order to stay in business. It's quite entertaining to watch old TV ads on YouTube. Many of them would be banned today.:biggrin:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, businesses need to advertise in order to stay in business. It's quite entertaining to watch old TV ads on YouTube. Many of them would be banned today.:biggrin:

I don't have a problem with companies wanting to advertise, but I do have a problem with them
doing everything possible to prevent me from having the ability to not view them. They can display as many ads as they like as long as I have the ability to disable the viewing of them.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes. The adverts are completely out of control. I loathe them in all their forms, especially the targeted ones and the insidious ones that seemed to pop up on my Facebook feed for the first time (before I closed my FB account) just hours after having a verbal conversation with my wife over that very thing...

I was telling my wife the other day that advertising doesn't work on me, just before I got into my Ultimate Driving Machine. "Just Do It" she said, handing me a can of soda... "It's The Real Thing!"

I had to laugh at this post...LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy