Disadvantage Of Buying Unlocked 8 plus?

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
My Xfinity Mobile store doesn't have the 8+ red phone in stock. Any disadvantage to buying it in the apple store as unlocked then bringing to xfinity mobile to connect as my provider? Like will it he missing some needed software? Thanks

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My Xfinity Mobile store doesn't have the 8+ red phone in stock. Any disadvantage to buying it in the apple store as unlocked then bringing to xfinity mobile to connect as my provider? Like will it he missing some needed software? Thanks
With iPhones nothing really. Only most Android devices you'll run into some issues like Samsung is notoriously slower in updating their unlocked devices in the United States (different elsewhere).

Apple controls the phone from the hardware to the software and carriers control nothing really. Carriers brand their own stuff on top whatever Google and OEM adds onto the Android OS. Like carrier apps and even fonts, logos and notification area.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

There is absolutely no disadvantages to buying an unlocked iPhone. Every phone I have ever owned, including Android, have all been unlocked.

With an iPhone, regardless of weather or not you buy it locked or unlocked you will always get the same software and be running pure iOS without any added junk apps. This is not the case with Android. Most coming from Android are quite surprised by that. Not sure if this has changed, but typically the only time you can get an Android phone without any junk apps is when you buy one unlocked directly from Google. You get pure Android, no added junk apps, and updates directly from Google. The major difference is that Apple updates are reliably more frequent.

You should be able to install the apps you want directly from the app store.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I asked @ComcastCares on Twitter customer support and they didn't think the red phone as opposed to other iphones to be transferrable to XfinityMobile. She claims it is more than a color difference. It is a different model & they wouldn't guarantee a store would activate it.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Xfinity Mobile may not be correct. Based upon the Compare and Specification pages feature in the links below, Red is just a color if i'm understanding correctly. Thus if the Product Red has the same internal specifications as the other iPhone 8 colors, then it appears as if using the Red Verizon and Sprint models would be feasible per the BYOD link.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...pple.com%2Fiphone%2Fcompare%2F&token=BzGNE-Tp
https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/#mn_p
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod&token=qJegcPoW

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
There is absolutely no disadvantages to buying an unlocked iPhone. Every phone I have ever owned, including Android, have all been unlocked.

With an iPhone, regardless of weather or not you buy it locked or unlocked you will always get the same software and be running pure iOS without any added junk apps. This is not the case with Android. Most coming from Android are quite surprised by that. Not sure if this has changed, but typically the only time you can get an Android phone without any junk apps is when you buy one unlocked directly from Google. You get pure Android, no added junk apps, and updates directly from Google. The major difference is that Apple updates are reliably more frequent.

You should be able to install the apps you want directly from the app store.
Well junk apps is subjective Tbh. For the most part even my note 8 has about the same amount of "junk" apps as the iPhone does for me. I actually use more of the pre installed apps like Verizon wireless app, voicemail and etc.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Well junk apps is subjective Tbh. For the most part even my note 8 has about the same amount of "junk" apps as the iPhone does for me. I actually use more of the pre installed apps like Verizon wireless app, voicemail and etc.

Junk apps (also called bloatware) are always 3rd party apps that the cell phone provider adds to the phone that you cannot uninstall, and these apps do not come with the OS during the first installation. A pure version of the OS are all apps from the OS creator only. Google allows cell phone providers to add junk apps, Apple does not regardless if it's it's a branded phone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Junk apps (also called bloatware) are always 3rd party apps that the cell phone provider adds to the phone that you cannot uninstall, and these apps do not come with the OS during the first installation. A pure version of the OS are all apps from the OS creator only. Google allows cell phone providers to add junk apps, Apple does not regardless if it's it's a branded phone.
No junk apps or bloat ware is any app that's pre loaded that you don't want. Apple has plenty of those as well. The stocks app, tips app, reminders app to name a few. Nowhere in a dictionary (or the internet) defines bloatware as carrier apps.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No junk apps or bloat ware is any app that's pre loaded that you don't want. Apple has plenty of those as well. The stocks app, tips app, reminders app to name a few. Nowhere in a dictionary (or the internet) defines bloatware as carrier apps.

In this discussion in this thread: The Pure OS (ie; that has the default apps... we're not discussing weather or not people like them) is what Apple/Google puts on the phone. Bloatware/junk apps are what the cell phone provider puts on their branded phone that the buyer cannot remove. Some providers even have programmers make a new OS or UI based off of the original (Google allows this, Apple does not). In this instance, what I've just described is how we distinguish between those two.

Those who understand what I am talking about know that there is a difference and know no dictionary is needed. It's just one of those things that goes without saying. You're just not understanding, or perhaps I am not explaining correctly, and that's OK.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
In this discussion in this thread: The Pure OS is what Apple/Google puts on the phone, regardless of whether or not you want it. Bloatware/junk apps are what the cell phone provider puts on their branded phone that the buyer cannot remove. Some providers even have programmers make a new OS or UI based off of the original (Google allows this, Apple does not).

Those who understand what I am talking about know that there is a difference and know no dictionary is needed. It's just one of those things that goes without saying. You're just not understanding, and that's OK.

Weither or not you want to believe it bloatware is junk apps that is pre installed no matter who makes it be it Apple, Google or your mother, sister brother friend or the dude next door. Junk is junk and is bloat ware. Still isn't relevant to the OP or the thread so your point is still moot.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Weither or not you want to believe it bloatware is junk apps that is pre installed no matter who makes it be it Apple, Google or your mother, sister brother friend or the dude next door. Junk is junk and is bloat ware. Still isn't relevant to the OP or the thread so your point is still moot.

Like I said, you're definitely not understanding what we're talking about.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, you're definitely not understanding what we're talking about.
I do. You clearly don't. Don't get how junk apps defines if he can use a phone on xfinity or not. I was simply stating your views as wrong and clearly was a shot that shows your true colors which is fine. You can have a preference but still doesn't make your views as correct.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I do. You clearly don't. Don't get how junk apps defines if he can use a phone on xfinity or not. I was simply stating your views as wrong and clearly was a shot that shows your true colors which is fine. You can have a preference but still doesn't make your views as correct.

It's nothing more than a way for us to distinguish between the two; the two being default apps and carrier added apps. Otherwise you'd just say the two are junk apps and junk apps, which does not show a difference between the two. We just give them a specific name in order to differentiate between them. There's nothing more to it. I don't know any other way to explain it to you.

Edit: Just to be clear; this is not my "view". People have been describing them this way for years. I picked this up from developers in the Apple and Android communities. I learned it from them.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
There shouldn’t be any issues with purchasing an unlocked 8+. I’ve never had any issues using my unlocked iPhones across different carriers. If you feel nervous about it, get a Verizon one, since Xfinity Mobile uses that network. Worst that could happen is you buy the phone, can’t get it activated & have to return it. Although, I highly doubt that will happen. Good Luck!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1